Fanfic summaries that don't inspire you to read the story

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Fanfic summaries that don't inspire you to read the stor

Postby Spica75 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:36 am

Oh wow... That has got to be one of the lamest failures at writing ever.
That's barely even the idea or concept of a story...
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 pm

The summary is a BIG; FAT LIE. The story might be good, but if the author can't be bothered to give at least a little synopsis I can't be bothered to read it.

Dragons can be Helpful? by Ranryu66 reviews
Title says it all
Rated: T - English - Supernatural/Adventure - Chapters: 1 - Words: 1,552 - Reviews: 1 - Follows: 1 - Published: 2h ago - Ranma, Herb
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pata Hikari » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 am

I'm guessing it's Yet Another Fanfic that Locks Ranma as a Girl because the Author doesn't have the Guts to write a Male/Male pairing.

So probably not particularly worth reading anyways.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 am

Pata Hikari wrote:I'm guessing it's Yet Another Fanfic that Locks Ranma as a Girl because the Author doesn't have the Guts to write a Male/Male pairing.

So probably not particularly worth reading anyways.

I don't think guts has anything to do with THAT. Ranma is VERY totally straight by canon, so breaking away from that, that alone cuts away a lot of fanfic authors that might otherwise have considered it.

Then there's the rest of the male cast of the series... Genma is obviously out of the question(well actually he isn't, i've seen a fic like that and, no just NO), Soun is almost as bad, Happosai and Mousse, uh that's pretty much laughable options etc etc...
Anyway, the realistic options are Ryoga and Tatewaki, unless you want to start dragging from the bottom of minor characters, and yeah i have seen fics doing either(and both), and the overall quality is simply dreadful.
And that gets people to write even less similar stories, so yeah, not going to hold my breath waiting for any story like that, that is really a good read.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am

Pata Hikari wrote:
I'm guessing it's Yet Another Fanfic that Locks Ranma as a Girl because the Author doesn't have the Guts to write a Male/Male pairing.

So probably not particularly worth reading anyways.Pairing: Ranma, Herb

Herb is both powerful, and part dragon. He also has a girl curse. The locking ladle lives with the Musk, over whom Herb rules. The unlocking kettle is lost.

No problem -- Ranma male, Herb female.

A place called the Temple of Ranma's Sailor Senshi Seifuku is probably the wrong place to have that particular rant, though. A lot of us are quite happy with Ranma as a girl -- a magical girl, even. You are definitely not preaching to the choir. Rather, you are surrounded by heretics and barbarians.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Pata Hikari » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Suppose I should say that the only "Fuku Fics" I like are the Sailor Ranko series and the original Lines of Destiny, both of which keep Ranma's gender identity. :V

I guess the main thing is that I feel like sexuality is generally a bit more fluid than gender identity? (Pun unintended). Except for like, nonbinary people but Ranma's never shown any indication of that. So a story saying "Ranma's bisexual" feels more beleivable to me than "Ranma's actually a girl deep down." Like, unless you go full AU which most of these lockfics do not.

It's just a lazy shortcut rather than actually confront the issue they make sure it never comes up. Kind of shows the male bias in the Ranma 1/2 fandom when plenty of fanfics I can think of confront the issue of the curse when Ranma's paired with a woman. But very few stories that pair Ranma up with a man do so.

Though, I will comment that even though it's clear Takahashi intended Ranma to be straight I honestly find pairing him up with Ryoga more belivable characterization wise then the majority of non-Akane female characters shipped with him.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:24 pm

I can see Ranma and Ryoga; it's almost as reasonable as Sailors Moon and Mars. There's some complicated tension there. I remember a fanfic where Akane asks Ranma, "You and Ryoga?" "That's how I learned I didn't like guys that way."

The simplest formulation I've run into is that your sex is in your crotch, your gender is in your head, and your sexuality is what your head wants to do with your crotch. It can get more complicated from there, of course, but most people don't have to worry about that.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Pata Hikari » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Usagi and Rei is believable because Usagi is amazingly and blatantly bisexual and her having her harem of Inner Senshi with Mamoru as her husband is not particularly unbelievable considering how much she swoons over pretty girls across the series.
Pata Hikari
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:01 am

Pata Hikari wrote:Usagi and Rei is believable because Usagi is amazingly and blatantly bisexual and her having her harem of Inner Senshi with Mamoru as her husband is not particularly unbelievable considering how much she swoons over pretty girls across the series.

I'd say it's FAR more believable than Ranma shacking up with a guy at least. Even if i think the idea of Usagi as bisexual is more wishful interpretation than "fact". She's more about PERSON than gender i would say, so straight or bi isn't really as important for her(unconsciously at least).
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:46 am

Not counting Haruka and Michiru (they're blatant) and Hotaru and Chibi-usa (they're too young) the Sailor I see most easily as lesbian is Ami. Usagi is more pansexual than bi, and Setsuna is old enough, and lonely enough, to have tried just about anything if it became available. But that counts more as desperation than sexuality. Ranma and Ryoga? The kami will probably never let either of them get laid, so they don't quite count. Do not trust a snickering kami, especially if she's named Washuu.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:35 pm

'English, Motherf*cker, do you speak it?'

I guess this writer doesn't. I have no idea what he's talking about, and I'm not in a hurry to find out.

Punishing the Dishonorable Ones by Ginkyofu13
AU One-shot: What if Happosai won't Hina Girl's misdeeds to go unpunishable after he stripped of everything included the title as well? What if he used the techniques to prevent them for misused their attacks for their own gain? What if he took honor very seriously after what happened in the failed wedding? Warning: His POV and Regular POV
Crossover - Ranma & Love Hina - Rated: K+ - English - Hurt/Comfort - Chapters: 1 - Words: 1,677 - Favs: 2 - Follows: 2 - Published: 1h ago - Happosai, Naru N., Motoko A. - Complete
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:35 pm

I have seen worse English, but I'm not sure if I've seen less intelligible in a summary... :?
So many words, yet it is nearly impossible to tell what meaning is intended.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs