Baseline humans' resistance to acids and bases research

Requests for information (such as weapons, maps, history, grammar, spelling, outlining, ect) for your writing. Or where to post useful reference sites that you have found useful in writing. Anything from information research to writing guides.

Baseline humans' resistance to acids and bases research

Postby Cheb » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Well, I was researching for my new Original Fiction smut story :oops: (I will return to DDR soon, honest! :oops: ) and, well, my Succubi are different, and the main character is so awesome she can take a dip in concentrated Sulphuric acid.

Then I had problems comparing that to human norm since search engines hate me.

What I found so far in regards to human tolerance of pH says our resistance is stupidly high. Our skin is so acidic that most bacteria die horribly on contact with us while we don't even notice acid concentrations 100 times higher than that:

roughly, consumption is possible 2..11. Swimming is considered safe 5..9
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH

the "buffering in human tears" paper
http://iovs.arvojournals.org/pdfaccess. ... 48/747.pdf
shows that chemicals in out tears auto-neutrazize water in range of about 3..11 to eye default of 7.5. Our blood contains even more of that good shit, so we probably won't even feel that something is wrong with water in this range for at least half an hour...

This hotspring review states 1.4 is nice and cozy: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... ohoku.html
(hot spring 1.1 diluted to 50%)

This article says people swim regularly in 3.9 (possibly 2.5 in prior years)
https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/pe ... rs/452826/

This article shows children splashing merrily in 11.3:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... leach.html

So, I assume that mortal's default range is 2..12 (with "it itches" at the extremes)

And here you were wondering how One Piece characters could swim in that whale's stomach juices :roll:

That makes my Succubi with their basic range of 0.7..13.3, while extraordinary, not broken at all. That resistance is only 15x baseline human's. Also fits the ability of the main character (whose END=22 is so stupidly high her resistances are 5.3x the racial norm) to take a dip in concentrated Sulphuric acid.
Also, consistent with heat resistance I set for them, where the range 37..110C affects them like it was 37..42C. That, also, gives 16x heat resistance.
In fact, I think I will express resistances in terms of multipliers from now on.

... Ugh. Nerfing now. Acid 15x, heat 10x and still my main character could scoop magma with her bare hands (it's "yeowch, like a hot potato!") to lob at her enemies. While standing next to said magma barefoot. 1256C -> effectively 60C
... Ugh 2. She can walk through a blazing inferno like it was a very hot sauna.
I should be very, very careful around so much fanservice potential as it can easily ruin my story. I hate PVP.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Re: Baseline humans' resistance to acids and bases research

Postby Spica75 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Beware though, that there's a huge difference between whether the multipliers are for what level of resistance something has, and for what degree of X they can handle.

Having 10 times better ability to resist heat does not mean the ability to handle 10 times greater heat counted in degrees.
This becomes blatantly obvious if you for example try counting heat in Kelvin, Fahrenheit or Reaumur instead of just Celcius.
The increase in what heat in degrees someone can deal with ok is also not linear to how much better their body resists heat.

With heat and cold you also have to account for secondary effects like what level of temperature as a whole can a body still function properly at. It wont matter if the skin can stay undamaged against 600C if the heat surrounds the whole body and the body as such can only handle up to 100C or even 200C.

So essentially yes, it's even more complex than you thought. :P
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:27 am

No, I thought it out (as soon as I got some BS numbers).

It doubles as R&D for a CRPG role system, after all.

Resistance:
The laws of physics split around certain area defined by a demon's soul, behaving differently for inside and outside observation. The temperature *delta* for anything higher than body temperature (in this case, 37C) is scaled so that temperature red-hot object (726C) for my main character's molecular bonds acts (726-37)/(10*5.3) + 37 = 50C while heat capacity, radiative times four law etc. operate normally. So, so her palm may glow briefly after she grabs something red-hot. To the outside observer, the demon's temperature is consistent with laws of physics, i.e. they are made of normal water-based cells, just heated to hundreds degrees C. They also have trouble *telling* these temperatures apart, for obvious reasons and barely feel rapid heating/cooling natural for that range.

Example 1: go swim in boiling oil, then touch water, get hurt by concussion of water flashing into steam at contact with you.

Example 2: a Salamander's severed limb bursts into flames because it loses connection with its soul and default laws of physics take effect. Energy is conserved.

P.S. A rough draft explanation is a low-pass reality warping filter applied to baryonic particles attuned to demon's soul (body, food in stomach). Instead of their kinetic energy increasing, it gets stored in some sort of warp buffer, so that when they interact with non-attuned particles they count as having much higher mass (and thus temperature) and when interacting with vacuum (radiating heat) they count as having much higher speed. While interacting with each other they behave like having normal mass and low temperature. This is localized quantum paradox only observable on the molecular scale (don't ask, it's reality warping. Wizard Did It.)
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:19 am

There are acids, and then again, there are acids. Hydrofluoric acid is an example -- it doesn't really do the pH thing that vigorously, but it's a terrible poison that can sink through your skin. Hydrocyanic acid is nobody's friend. There's more to an acid (or a base) than whether it can dissolve things.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Wizard Did It.

That explains everything just perfectly... :D

Don't think i follow your meaning exactly but, meh, close enough i guess.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:48 pm

doesn't really do the pH thing that vigorously, but it's a terrible poison that can sink through your skin. Hydrocyanic acid is nobody's friend.

Thanks, I'll have that in mind for fleshing out various kinds of slimes -- who, as plot demands, should be hit with a right kind of acid to one-hit-kill, otherwise they are resistant to almost anything.
There are anime/Terraria slimes that are bouncing jello balls and there are D&D jellos that are more like deadly amoebas. I thought: why not combine? So these are different attack modes of My Slimes Are Different - they alternate between 100-kilogram ramming ball mode and deadly corrosive amoeba mode on the fly :twisted: Would that make them interesting enemies for a first-person roguelike shooter?
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Here is a nice little table listing acidity is various drinks:
https://www.sheltondentistry.com/patient-information/ph-values-common-drinks/

Note that Coke is at ca. 2.5pH. Also, Coke is good for removing rust off stuff and bug guts off windshields. For the latter, follow up stat with a good washdown. You want the bugs off your vehicle, not swarming it for more sugar.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fic Research