Avoiding Spamville Neo!

Chit Chat: Freeform roleplay. Only place where spam allowed. This topic is periodically pruned for removal of old posts

Re: Avoiding Spamville Neo!

Postby Makoto » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:21 pm

For fighting games, you really need a controller. Keyboards just aren't as good, for those types of games. :|
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:56 pm

((OOC: I'd much rather not. I don't want to have to explain to my dad why an X-Box controller's hooked up to his computer. :? That, and trying to figure out how to use a Playstation controller was hard enough for me back in the day.

At any rate, I'd like to think I'm at least doing reasonably well for someone who's never going to do multiplayer. It's just a matter of properly getting the hang of the controls (read: high-jumping and blocking attacks when needed) and surviving long enough to beat Galactus.

Also, I'm contemplating making a video series dedicated to keeping track of how many times I fail while playing the original Mega Man games. It's pretty much for my own amusement.))
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:39 pm

CRBWildcat wrote:((OOC: I'd much rather not. I don't want to have to explain to my dad why an X-Box controller's hooked up to his computer. :? That, and trying to figure out how to use a Playstation controller was hard enough for me back in the day.

Does it have to be an X-Box controller? I don't know about the 360 or One, but aren't the X-Box controllers a bit on the large side?
You don't need anything complex or large - just a controller with six buttons lined up like the arcade fighters on average (three punch buttons, three kick buttons), maybe shoulder buttons and start/select buttons, all redefinable. :D Most currently plug into a USB port, and you shouldn't need to keep them plugged in all the time.

At any rate, I'd like to think I'm at least doing reasonably well for someone who's never going to do multiplayer. It's just a matter of properly getting the hang of the controls (read: high-jumping and blocking attacks when needed) and surviving long enough to beat Galactus.

I can't remember (as I have MvC3 on my PS3 and haven't played it in a while), but doesn't the game have an auto-block setting? (Not as good as doing it yourself, but it may help you get the hang of everything before trying to do more with the controls.)

Also, I'm contemplating making a video series dedicated to keeping track of how many times I fail while playing the original Mega Man games. It's pretty much for my own amusement.))

Well, if you're going to do that, you might as well include MM-like games, like, say, the Mega Marisa games. :mrgreen:
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 am

((OOC: It would make sense, considering that MVC3 was first intended for the 360 and PS3. And anyway, I wouldn't have much of a place to put it no matter what I got; this isn't exactly a large computer desk I have over here, and my mom tends to get rather insistent about things that she views as clutter. :|

I... honestly don't know if there's an auto-block setting or not for the player. I know there's one for the computer in Training mode that can be set, but I'm not sure otherwise. I'll have to look into that.

MegaMari? Now there's an idea... and it would give me the chance to try Nezumiman, among others...))
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 pm

You could always keep the controller in your room or desk. :D (And, depending upon how much USB support you have on that Win98 computer, you may even be able to get the controller working on it with some work. Not 100%, necessarily, but it'd help.)

Well, if there IS an auto-block setting, I haven't found it yet. And the manual for my PS3 version, despite being thick, skims over a LOT.

Edit: And just in case anyone was wondering what I meant by the "take you for a ride" comment, it was a reference to the character select music for Marvel vs. Capcom 2.
https://youtu.be/lsfhADiaP5E
Last edited by Makoto on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:41 pm

CRBWildcat wrote:((OOC: Purchased Marvel Vs Capcom 3 via Steam earlier today. Fighting games aren't my thing on the whole, but it gives me something to do, at least.))

I'm not much of a Fighting Games fan either. XD
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:26 pm

Makoto wrote:You could always keep the controller in your room or desk. :D (And, depending upon how much USB support you have on that Win98 computer, you may even be able to get the controller working on it with some work. Not 100%, necessarily, but it'd help.)

Well, if there IS an auto-block setting, I haven't found it yet. And the manual for my PS3 version, despite being thick, skims over a LOT.

Edit: And just in case anyone was wondering what I meant by the "take you for a ride" comment, it was a reference to the character select music for Marvel vs. Capcom 2.
https://youtu.be/lsfhADiaP5E

((OOC: Actually, MVC3's on my dad's Windows 10 machine; it's the only one in the house with enough horsepower to run it. :P Comparatively speaking, my own computer's slow as molasses (with my laptop somewhere in-between). And while storing the controller in my room is an option, most of my desk drawers and miscellaneous storage bins are either already full or are better suited for other things.
Anyway, I'm not too concerned about using the keyboard to play the game. My typing speed's one of the few things about myself that I'm legitimately proud of, and I like to think it's up to the task of planting a curly mustache on Magneto.

About what you were saying on that "take you for a ride" song? It turns up rarely and randomly in MVC3's character select as well. :lol: ))

I'm not much of a Fighting Games fan either. XD

((OOC: Music's kinda catchy, though, and a few of the characters are rather eerily familiar.))
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:56 pm

I wasn't suggesting you run MvC3 on your older computer. :D (Certainly not if it's the Win98 system. ^_^;;; ) But you could always still use the gamepad for other games on your computer.

I can't say I've ever heard the song on my MvC3's character select screen, but maybe they added it for the Steam version, I don't know. (Mine is the base PS3 version, which was released in 2011, I think.)
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 pm

((OOC: Nah, it was like that from the start. It might just be in the game's Training mode as opposed to the Arcade.))
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:45 am

I didn't have anything to add to the conversation but I should have just posted yesterday since it was Friday the 13th.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:01 pm

But you didn't. So rude :o
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:41 am

Rude for not posting? Or for interrupting?
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:36 pm

((OOC: Both. As punishment, you must watch a guy keep track of how much damage he takes while playing video games. ...Or not. It's okay with me either way. :mrgreen: ))
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:14 pm

For not posting. It's a joke.
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:29 pm