The umpteenth Ranma/Sailor Moon Crossover Idea

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

The umpteenth Ranma/Sailor Moon Crossover Idea

Postby Spiral » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:20 am

An idea I've been thinking on for quite some time, for the old classic; A Ranma 1/2xSailor Moon crossover.

Set in the Sailor Moon anime primarily, with some minor changes. Trying to decide a good place to place it in the timeline. In placing it between which arcs and such, and then subsequently how to procede through the rest. All I know, is I most likely want to have it before SuperS. The minor changes I mentioned just refer to using a couple elements from the manga/Crystal, partly refering to Mamoru, in using his manga/Crystal age, as well as giving Tux his attack. Other ideas from the manga may be borrowed as well, but thats undecided at the moment.
Anyway, basic beginning excu-uh, I mean premise to start, thus far, has the Tendo residence completely totaled, and thus the Tendos and Saotomes decide to try and get away from the chaos of Nerima, and end up moving to the Juuban ward. Primarliy will be "Sailor Moon setting" focused, but I do want chapters/plots/etc that are of a more Ranma 1/2" nature. Stuff ranging from Ryoga showing up, as well as Ukyo and the Amazons also eventually following Ranma to Juuban. An original story arc between two would be the first arc of the story, then deviations in following SM story arcs.

Now, while this is indeed going to have Ranma become a Senshi, it won't happen in the usual way, but actually rather indirectly. Now, Ranma will have been reincarnated from the Silver Millenium era, but not as someone who was a Sailor, but as a male who like Mamoru/Endymion, possessed a Sailor Crystal/Star Seed. Now, not the most original choice, but going with Sun, what with still being an obvious choice since its one of the few celestial bodies of our solar system not used in canon, Ranma would be whom I am tentatively calling "Solar Knight". But because of his curse, and the nature of the crystals, in his girl form he can become Sailor Sun. For Solar Knight/Sailor Sun's element, going with light.
Now, with all that said, there is some ways that some less overused stuff can be inserted. One such possibility is that rather than being from the Moon, he could be from the Earth Kingdom, and would be a warrior who served Prince Endymion. And much like Endymion/Mamoru.

Next up, another thing to be included is exploiting the fact that this is a crossover, and bringing in some Ranma elements to Sailor Moon story. Namely, a thing that will happen, in some manner, Mamoru will become cursed, and with the same curse as Ranma. Which means that, much like Ranma will be able to turn into Solar Knight and Sailor Sun depending on which form he is in, Mamoru will gain the ability to become Sailor Earth in addition to Tuxedo Mask. Sailor Earth's powers will be plant(really, just roses) and earth based.
As far as I know, this idea is rarely explored, if at all. But I will freely admit there are many, many Ranma/Sailor Moon stories I've never read. Regardless though, just something to add something more to this.

Moving on to another non-canon idea, using more up to date knowledge of the Solar System, we've got a couple of more (dwarf) planets now. Key one being using Eris for a Sailor Eris, and leaning towards Akane. Issue there is that I need to come up with an adequate background and history, and then a power set. And then the best way to integrate it into the story.
The other two, I am undecided and unsure on for whether or not to even bother using them. Partly out of bias because 1). They don't have names of roman or greek god origin and 2). "Sailor Makemake" just doesn't sound good to me.

Next up, one of the ideas that was pitched by a friend has pitched is the use of the Shitennou, and going with an implementation of the manga/Crystal version of them as having served Endymion in the Silver Millenium. Particularly, while my friend whu suggested this is a fan of the Senshi/Shitennou pairings, I just like the idea of Mamoru having a team of his own. Also offers more male characters for the cast. A plus of this for storytelling purposes, gives Mamoru more to do and more purpose, which dwindled in the old anime especially. Also works if the possibility of Ranma's past life being from the Earth Kingdom is used.
Now, with this, I'm unsure of the specifics of how I should go about doing this, having a couple ideas. The first is that since in the 90s anime, the Shitennou were much different thanthe source, I could go with the Dark Kingdom versions were copies/replicas/clones/etc created by Beryl, and that the real ones that were Endymion's knights were reincarnated but haven't awakened to their past lives and living normal lives. One appealing thing about this is that I could use it to, since Takeuchi gives us age ranges for them, having Ranma go to school with the reincarnated Jadeite and Zoisite, prior to any of them having their past lives memories awakened.
Another potential thing is that the four were the originals but severely brainwashed, and were revived at the end of the first arc with the Silver Crystal like everyone else was and have been going about normal lives.

And with all that said, the other reason I'm posting this idea here is I really would like help more than anything. While I really do like the idea, I am not that confident in my own abilities to write this. Not to mention the whole blank area of still working out the plot. And while I do have some ideas on character interactions, ultimately, there is still that to also work out.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Re: The umpteenth Ranma/Sailor Moon Crossover Idea

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:25 pm

There are other (Greco-Roman) solar system bodies that could be used. Ceres is obvious, and at least in the anime, Pallas and Vesta. Charon counts -- it and Pluto form a double planet. There are some impressive moons: Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto for Jupiter, Titan (at the very least) for Saturn. Uranus doesn't have really large moons, but Neptune has Triton. If you wanted a truly unimpressive moon, you could go for Dactyl.

That doesn't even mention comets. They're usually named after their discoverer, who was almost never a Roman god.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:17 pm

That doesn't even mention comets. They're usually named after their discoverer, who was almost never a Roman god.

Of course, there might have been an "original name" long since forgotten...
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spiral » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:There are other (Greco-Roman) solar system bodies that could be used. Ceres is obvious, and at least in the anime, Pallas and Vesta. Charon counts -- it and Pluto form a double planet. There are some impressive moons: Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto for Jupiter, Titan (at the very least) for Saturn. Uranus doesn't have really large moons, but Neptune has Triton. If you wanted a truly unimpressive moon, you could go for Dactyl.

The first three you mention are obviously already taken, seeing as the Asteroid Senshi exist in the manga. But for the others though, if you started naming after moons, there would have to be extra thought into connections between the planet senshi and the moon, much like Usagi and Mamoru.

But overall too, I wouldn't need to add in unnecessarily extra stuff without purpose.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Spica75 wrote:Of course, there might have been an "original name" long since forgotten...

Comets usually don't last long enough for that. After all, the tail(s) that give them their name consist of evaporated comet.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spiral » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Yeah, that too.

Comets wouldn't really work as a basis for a senshi for many reasons. At least with stars like the sun, we have precedent for them.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spica75 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Comets usually don't last long enough for that. After all, the tail(s) that give them their name consist of evaporated comet.

Ah, sorry i should have specified that i wasn't just referring to comets, but just noting that all of the names given in modern time(and quite possibly by whatever culture/s you feel like) can essentially be ignored for whatever connection/reference/linked name you want.

#####

At least with stars like the sun, we have precedent for them.

One of the problems with using "Sun" is that it's a very annoying and treacherous choice. In part because it implies great(er) power, in part because it implies it to be the centerpoint for the senshi and in part because it stands out so clearly compared to the rest of the usual cast etc, it's VERY easy to make a fic look like a Ranma Mary Sue with this, dangerously easy.
It's the single most common reason for me to drop "Ranma Sailor(or something) Sun" stories, and i'm pretty sure most of the writers didn't realise they were doing it, nor ever intended it. The connotations just seem to push stories in that direction, like i said, annoying.

Not saying "don't do it! *scream*", just if you do, beware of making him overpowered or the next paragon or something.

The first three you mention are obviously already taken, seeing as the Asteroid Senshi exist in the manga.

Sure, but do they have to be the same persons or powers? Changing one background character into an AU shouldn't be a problem.

But for the others though, if you started naming after moons, there would have to be extra thought into connections between the planet senshi and the moon, much like Usagi and Mamoru.

I have a story where i add "Saturn Minors", using the 5 largest moons there, renamed to fit the story... The connection just gives another cue to play with(in my case, Pluto by accident causing a massive retroactive AU(the Saturn minors originally only a plan, not actually created)).

Which reminds me, that damn fic is at over 75k words, and it's STILL nowhere close to where i can post it... :?
Annoying.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Spica75 wrote:Which reminds me, that damn fic is at over 75k words, and it's STILL nowhere close to where i can post it... :?
Annoying.

Desperately Seeking Ranma is up to 1,426,632 words at this point (FFnet count) and it's far from done. Fine writing, despite a few annoying problems. If you want to get an idea of pixelwriter1's talents, try "It's Always the Quiet Ones" at a mere 8,400 words -- it's one of the finest fanfics I've ever read.

(I'm on my second reading of Desperately Seeking Ranma right now, as is a friend of mine.) Not for the faint of heart, short of time, nor those who dislike powerful!! characters or departure from canon. As the story goes on, it turns into one of the strangest Ranma / Sailor Moon crossovers ever.

And I had no idea I was headed for 100,000 words when I wrote "Different Colors". At 75k words, you should be able to publish something. Does your story have arcs? Publish arcs when they're ready. You don't need it all, as long as you don't leave readers hanging.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spiral » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:16 am

Spica75 wrote:One of the problems with using "Sun" is that it's a very annoying and treacherous choice. In part because it implies great(er) power, in part because it implies it to be the centerpoint for the senshi and in part because it stands out so clearly compared to the rest of the usual cast etc, it's VERY easy to make a fic look like a Ranma Mary Sue with this, dangerously easy.
It's the single most common reason for me to drop "Ranma Sailor(or something) Sun" stories, and i'm pretty sure most of the writers didn't realise they were doing it, nor ever intended it. The connotations just seem to push stories in that direction, like i said, annoying.

Not saying "don't do it! *scream*", just if you do, beware of making him overpowered or the next paragon or something.

Thats less of the Sun's fault and more of whoever writes it that way. Why yes, Sun is an important celestial body, how much the

In my own case, how important and in what way the Sun would take depends on the origin chosen and a given plot. Ideally, in the Sailor Moon related plots, attention and focus would best be spread out as equally as possible. But even in best case scenarios, some characters are always going to be more important to particular central plots than others. Usagi just is more important than the rest of her team, for example.
In terms of a "Hierarchy" of warrior importance, both battle or plot reasons, the obvious canon examples of SM, Usagi and Chibi-Usa would be at the top. Mamoru would also be at the top with them. Ranma would probably be there to by nature of being one of the main characters. Bellow them, you'd have the teams, Inners, Outers, Shitennou, Akane(Regardless of whether she would end up a Sailor or not, shes one of the most important characters in Ranma's life).

Sure, but do they have to be the same persons or powers? Changing one background character into an AU shouldn't be a problem.

I do see what you're getting at, but I would personally prefer not to outright replace characters with another.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:03 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:...
And I had no idea I was headed for 100,000 words when I wrote "Different Colors". At 75k words, you should be able to publish something. Does your story have arcs? Publish arcs when they're ready. You don't need it all, as long as you don't leave readers hanging.

Ah well, the single biggest problem is that the beginning is still missing a lot. I don't write "start to finish" in any way or shape, so it's a matter of getting around to filling in the right blanks before i can even begin to post.
It's also nowhere near anything that can be called even half-finished, and the written material stretches over at least 3 arcs, while none of them is remotely done...

Essentially, no, i'm not really a good writer. :P
Meh, i'll get around to it eventually.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:26 am

Spica75 wrote:Ah well, the single biggest problem is that the beginning is still missing a lot. I don't write "start to finish" in any way or shape, so it's a matter of getting around to filling in the right blanks before i can even begin to post.

I see the difficulty. Beginnings are needed, though they don't necessarily have to be the first thing you encounter.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spiral » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Back on subject a little, I did want to talk about the ideas and such.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Postby talonhunter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:38 pm

Just some seeds for thought here... if ranma is gonna be part of earths 'golden kingdom', why not utalize one of earths old legends as well like the Aquarian Knight/Sailor Aquis? (( I could see Ranma with a Merfolk form as a Senshi while active in the seas...))This way you tie in his affinity to water cursed magics and it leaves Momaru to the plant earth based stuff. This can also open up the other elemental magics for earths 'Golden Realm'. ((If I remember canon correctly here, each earth kingdom had their own ideas on controlling the elements as the planetary Senshi do.))
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spiral » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:51 pm

talonhunter wrote:Just some seeds for thought here... if ranma is gonna be part of earths 'golden kingdom', why not utalize one of earths old legends as well like the Aquarian Knight/Sailor Aquis? (( I could see Ranma with a Merfolk form as a Senshi while active in the seas...))This way you tie in his affinity to water cursed magics and it leaves Momaru to the plant earth based stuff. This can also open up the other elemental magics for earths 'Golden Realm'. ((If I remember canon correctly here, each earth kingdom had their own ideas on controlling the elements as the planetary Senshi do.))

That just seems kind of out of nowhere. I would rather keep things in theme than making up a bunch of new things out of nowhere without much basis in canon
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spiral » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Not much discussion going on, so I guess I'll just talk more about what I've been thinking on lately.

The reason I need to decide where in the timeline of Sailor Moon this starts is because it affects the progression. The earlier it starts, it means certain things will have to be accounted for in later arcs. Just a hypothetical, lets say a best case scenario and all my potential ideas get implemented before the R/Black Moon arc, Ranma as Solar Knight/Sailor Sun, Sailor Eris Akane, Mamoru gets cursed, Shitennou become good, the works. How does this affect the future of Crystal Tokyo? A lot changes is an understatement, and same could go for later arcs. But also things need to be paced, and taken into account when to implement. Just start this from the beginning of Sailor Moon and have Ranma in the group from the start or later? Implement Crystal ideas into the beginning arc for the Shitennou. Or maybe put in an original arc between arcs much like the Makai Tree from the first anime, and use both the Ranma Sun and Shitennou ideas there? Same goes for a Sailor Eris. When do I implement her? Whats her backstory from the Silver Millennium, etc.
But another thing, it also affects the age gap between characters, and school. Unlike in Ranma 1/2, where it seems like Ranma and Akane are perpetually in the same grade and the same age no matter how much time passes, time demonstrably passes in Sailor Moon. The series starts with Usagi in middle school, entering high school by SuperS/the Dream Arc, and such. And Mamoru in the manga and Crystal is a high school student in the beginning and has graduated by the 4th storyline.

Its a trade off here, basically. Earlier time means more time to develop such and change things for the story, while later means that it affects their life outside of being Sailor Senshi.
Spiral
Senshi Candidate

Next

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes