Magical powers and Boys of Ranma 1/2

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Which Character should receive magical powers.

Kuno
22%
Gosunkugi
11%
Ryoga
11%
Mousse
No votes
Konatsu
33%
Original Character
11%
Other (if so, who?)
11%

Total votes : 9

Magical powers and Boys of Ranma 1/2

Postby AxelTheBunny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:38 pm

So a random poll im not going to give context with too much but I need to know this. But it's relevant to something I've been working on.
So who would be best to get magical powers outside of Ranma out of the males of Ranma 1/2? It is essentially magical boy powers.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Re: Magical powers and Boys of Ranma 1/2

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Define "best." Because their character is popular to the audience? They're my personal favorite of the lot? Their character fits the role? They'd be the most likely to be in a position to get this power? They're not a cliche choice? It'd be best for entertainment value? They'd serve the plot better, in whatever capacity that happens to be?

I suppose I could roll a die and pick one at random. *Shrugs*
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:51 pm

I think in terms of who would be best suited to a power-up as well as the responsibility involved. Who would really be the most interesting to see getting said power-up. What would be the most interesting choice. I plan on them being more or less random in terms of selection, but I like to keep my cards close to my chest with most plots so I'm trying not to make the best choice. Mostly going with entertainment value and what people would like to see getting a magical boy power-up. I suppose if i had to define it id say most entertaining, or best suited to the role. Who would be the most interesting to see in the role that you could reasonably see in said role.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:28 am

Kasumi. Oh right, boys... That´s MUCH harder.

I think in terms of who would be best suited to a power-up as well as the responsibility involved.

Ok, so Ryouga and Kuno are totally out then. And Gosunkugi would be almost as bad with Mousse not that far behind.
So out of those listed, easily Konatsu with a HUGE margin. He might get away with it as just more of his "ninja tricks" as well if secrecy is a thing.

Because responsibility is definitely something that is rarely available in the Ranmaverse. Maybe Tofu? I wouldn´t want to be near him if he gets distracted though! So, still not much of an option.

So much easier with girls, Kasumi the obvious pick, Ukyo could probably manage, and Akane would be amusing(at least she wants and tries to be responsible, give her a better reason along with something that lets her pick up her badly bruised and mauled selfesteem and at least you have a fair chance).
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:31 am

Kasumi indeed - though the details matter. Multiple clones (ala Triplicate Girl, Multiple Man, or Naruto) would just multiply her Kasumi-ness. The power to turn into Godzilla would simply sit there, unused.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Kasumi indeed - though the details matter. Multiple clones (ala Triplicate Girl, Multiple Man, or Naruto) would just multiply her Kasumi-ness. The power to turn into Godzilla would simply sit there, unused.

And that would be a bad thing, how?

And seriously, Kasumi in Godzilla disguise? Can you imagine the power of her glaring at someone for disappointing her? :mrgreen:

And jokes aside, i´m pretty sure she would do whatever was needed to make sure matters proceed in a positive fashion...
IF she ever felt she HAD to.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:24 pm

Well my current planned plot requires one of the males who are not Ranma.
I was considering doing an OC, which is why it's on there, but I didn't really want to force one in if i didn't have to. And plenty of the other boys would be interesting to write...which is why i made the poll.

Also I dont really like Kasumi, she's always been boring to me.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spica75 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:49 pm

AxelTheBunny wrote:Well my current planned plot requires one of the males who are not Ranma.
I was considering doing an OC, which is why it's on there, but I didn't really want to force one in if i didn't have to. And plenty of the other boys would be interesting to write...which is why i made the poll.

Then go with a OC, better to add a character than to try to forcefully stuff a canon one into a mold it doesn´t quite fit?

Also I dont really like Kasumi, she's always been boring to me.

Aaaww, you probably haven´t read any of the good fanfics with her then! They´re a bit rare, but they definitely exist.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:28 pm

The issue is that the actual character only really exists to serve the function of a mother figure when needed. Most people who DO write Kasumi-centric fics usually portray her as Saint Kasumi, and typically simply try to "fix" her with zero effort. Rather than gradual character development. I also don't like her because she isnt as morally nuanced as most of the other characters in the series.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:02 pm

Not "morally nuanced?" What the heck is that supposed to mean? And if you find Kasumi boring, then that's likely because you didn't pay enough attention to her when she was actually given some panel time. (I don't say screen time 'cause the anime sucks.) Otherwise, it's not her fault that we don't see a lot of her. (Also, I only recall one or two instances where Kasumi functioned as a mother figure. In the manga, anyway.)

Anyway, I suppose I could suggest Soun, since age changes included with magical transformations isn't unheard of, if current age happens to be a problem. He'd be an interesting character to end up with such a role since he teeters between being brave and cowardly, and sensible and irrational.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Well most of the characters in Ranma 1/2 tend to be able to be portrayed as either morally good, or bad depending on circumstances. It's part of what makes them interesting to write for me. I dont particularly like writing characters that are one extreme or the other. If i have to essentially "create" a personality for a character not from the original source it's always felt cheap to me. She's never given enough character for me to feel comfortable writing her, and working off what I recall of her makes it rather dull considering.

to be fair, it's been awhile since I've read the manga. so i might simply be forgetting much of her character, as she didn't get much story time devoted to her. It's mostly personal preference, and I do believe if we saw more of her it would be interesting, I just am not as comfortable writing her and don't find the prospect particularly interesting. I dont "hate" the character, i just feel she's wasted due to lack of screen time. the only real character I hate is Nodoka.

but hmm, I've always found Soun interesting because I've always had him pegged as the moral one between Soun and Genma. The two most likely balanced eachother out in their youth.So I can see him using such powers, though likely reluctantly.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:12 pm

Considering how out-there and one-dimensional most characters in the series are, I find Kasumi to be one of the more interesting/refreshing characters, because there's a lot of nuance, subtlety and mystery despite the caricature she ended up being illustrated with later on. For instance, most people miss or forget the many occasions where she makes direct or offhanded remarks that are either insulting, reflect badly on someone, or simply point out the obvious. She doesn't have a problem speaking her mind, which goes well beyond the unforgettable "violent maniac" bit at the beginning of the series. There's the dumbbell and hammer that she gives Akane on two separate occasions. If that possessing oni brings out stuff from the individual themselves, there's an interesting side to Kasumi there. Her observations aside, she's shown to be perceptive and aware in other ways. I could go on and on, citing a multitude of specific instances that demonstrate what sets her apart from most of the other characters in general, but I'll leave it at that since that's not the purpose of this thread. (Although I'll add that I'm willing to bet that her character suffers more from how she's been depicted by fan-fic authors than her canon character.)

As for Soun, I was trying to cover his morality with his behavior, since he's usually moral so long as he isn't being a coward or irrational (with the latter not being a stranger where his desire to see Ranma married to one of his daughters is concerned).
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:40 pm

(Although I'll add that I'm willing to bet that her character suffers more from how she's been depicted by fan-fic authors than her canon character.)

Very true indeed.

#####

Well most of the characters in Ranma 1/2 tend to be able to be portrayed as either morally good, or bad depending on circumstances. It's part of what makes them interesting to write for me. I dont particularly like writing characters that are one extreme or the other. If i have to essentially "create" a personality for a character not from the original source it's always felt cheap to me. She's never given enough character for me to feel comfortable writing her, and working off what I recall of her makes it rather dull considering.

to be fair, it's been awhile since I've read the manga. so i might simply be forgetting much of her character, as she didn't get much story time devoted to her.

Hmm, i get the distinct feeling you may have missed a lot of the more subtle stuff then, because that´s where Kasumi is awesome and stands out.
There´s been a rare few fics that makes good use of her in various ways, for example one where she is the ultimate troll, she´s just so "nice and calm" about it that noone realises what she´s doing. :mrgreen:

Kasumi is the kind of person who, when told that her magical specialty is heavy artillery spells would comment "oh my that sounds nice!".
And you would have absolutely NO IDEA what she actually means by it. :P

but hmm, I've always found Soun interesting because I've always had him pegged as the moral one between Soun and Genma.

Or at least TRIES to be the moral one ( especially important considering his job ). :D
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:47 pm

yes I've always liked the portrayals of her where it's like that. I cant recall the name of the fic but I do know which one you are referring to.

Also yeah I get the impression he's changed since he was younger, but we dont really GET an impression of how those two were when they were younger. I like to portray characters like Soun and Genma in a more positive light while also keeping them in character. Mostly because the two of them seemed much better in the beginning of the anime/manga than later where they became more the butt of a joke than anything else. I've always disliked that because it made them far less interesting than two guys who basically WANT to meet the standards of good people but fail.

But anyways it would be interesting to see that, particularly because he COULD probably pull off the secret hero thing...I mean, who would expect SOUN to be a closet superhero.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:04 am

If you want to know the true horror of Magical Boys, hunt down an anime called Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love!.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Next

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs