Auroræ

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Auroræ

Postby Té Rowan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Saw some of the brightest — if not the brightest — northern lights I have ever seen last night. It was easily what we call ‘wayfinding light’ outside: Enough light to find one’s way without much trouble.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Auroræ

Postby Neko- » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Never seen those live, other than on TV. Been to Iceland last December in hopes of seeing those, but was thwarted by cloudcover. Still on the bucketlist somewhere.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Makes me wonder about light pollution. Back in the sixties, I saw Northern Lights in both Boston and Minneapolis - well-lighted areas. But then, that was late night in January, and I don't go outdoors on late nights in January these days. Cannot really make a fair comparison. Northern Minnesota? Yah, sure, we got 'em even today.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby AxelTheBunny » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:38 pm

I personally have never lived that far north so...grew up mostly in the pacific regions so... I suppose i did live in Germany for a bit, but was too young to remember seeing any.
Sounds interesting though. I do kinda get the light pollution thing though, as I did used to like stargazing and the like and now, especially living in the city i rarely can do so.
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Neko- » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:12 am

Germany is far enough south that you'll only see the aurora if it's REALLY active. And even then only in the utmost north of the country.
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby AxelTheBunny » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:23 am

Ah, as I said I was too young to remember so...xP

I grew up mostly in Hawaii so...
AxelTheBunny
Senshi Cadet

Postby Neko- » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:39 am

Over here (Netherlands) the utmost northern provinces very rarely see some shimmering in the distance out to sea, if the Borealis is really active, and the sky is really clear.

If you then consider that the Netherlands is located on the globe to be just north of the border between the US and Canada... So our sights are pretty consistent with how the south-part of Canada would see the Borealis.

Like I said, went to Iceland mid December to see something different, and planned to see the Borealis then too. That failed with cloudcover. And while I've been to Norway/Sweden/Finland (and even the Northcape), I've only been there during summer. With midsummernight that kind of makes it hard/impossible to see the Borealis spectacle. So it remains on the bucketlist.
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 am

Like I said, went to Iceland mid December to see something different, and planned to see the Borealis then too. That failed with cloudcover. And while I've been to Norway/Sweden/Finland (and even the Northcape), I've only been there during summer. With midsummernight that kind of makes it hard/impossible to see the Borealis spectacle. So it remains on the bucketlist.

There was an awesome aurora once in Stockholm when i lived there in the late 80s, looked totally like a UFO, circular setup of white, green and red distinctly looking lights. Apparently it was the most "something something" aurora for 2 centuries ( not curtains or sheets of light but very individually clear lights instead ), and it happened perfectly while me and a friend was out walking. Really cool, never seen anything remotely like it before or since. :P

Saw some of the brightest — if not the brightest — northern lights I have ever seen last night. It was easily what we call ‘wayfinding light’ outside: Enough light to find one’s way without much trouble.

That´s cool when you get that good aurora. It´s rare here, but it does happen occasionally. Currently i´m a bit south compared to southernmost Iceland.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:20 am

We went out on December 10th, and had overcast skies.

Meanwhile in Finland this showed up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfutjfUZARg
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:06 pm

Pretty.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Minnesota gets aurorae, but nothing that good. For that, you have to be closer to magnetic north.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:25 pm

There have been occasions in the past few years when we were supposed to be able to see the aurorae from Vancouver. But on those occasions it was cloudy. The same thing seems to happen with the Perseid meteor showers in August
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Té Rowan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Incidentally, there are several websites that offer aurora predictions and ‘live’ aurora maps. Some are ham (radio amateur) sites where one can also find propagation predictions. Strong Es (sporadic E-layer clouds) occurrences can bounce TV and FM broadcasts long distances. There are many Youtube video clips of long-distance TV – usually channels 2–4 – and FM reception. Might be some of auroral HF reception, too, all the RRRRRRRUMBLE! I don’t really miss.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk