Since the International Astronomical Union is silly

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Including Polls, RPGs & Multiple Author Works

Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Since the International Astronomical Union is silly

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:57 pm

I wonder if there are any Sailor Moon stories where the Earth has two moons, five moons, thousands of mini-moons in addition to the moon, or no moons at all (with the moon being a planet in a binary system with the Earth), or if anyone would bother writing a story using any of these ideas as a part of the premise.

(This was brought up because of QI.)
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: Since the International Astronomical Union is silly

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:53 am

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:I wonder if there are any Sailor Moon stories where the Earth has two moons, five moons, thousands of mini-moons in addition to the moon, or no moons at all (with the moon being a planet in a binary system with the Earth), or if anyone would bother writing a story using any of these ideas as a part of the premise.

(This was brought up because of QI.)

This probably more accurately belongs in the fic search section, but whatever...

I am aware of at least one Sailor Moon Multi-crossover story with two moons, and one does not have to look far to find it, considering it was by a member of this forum.

RANMA-MULTI 'Siren's Calling' by WG-Writer - [Dld Date=05/18/2013] - [Dld Size=623kb] - [Dld File Cnt=22] - [Dld Status=Inactive]
I've come across several stories over the years where one or more senshi have been displaced to a different solar system and was confused why despite the planetary configurations being different still had abilities, and at least one where their powers were diminished.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:40 am

I didn't put in the search forum because I doubted very highly that any such stories existed, which is why I added that "or" as a part of the wondering that I wanted to use as a medium to converse about the subject in general. And what I'm wondering about aren't the addition of a fictional moon, but something based on reality. For instance, I believe I've seen a story mention that Pluto wasn't a planet; it's that sort of thing that's relevant. If, say, someone explained the lack of a Sailor Earth because Sailor Moon represented a binary system, that would count as well. That, and how there can be multiple Sailor Moons, especially when the extra ones are all of the chibi nature.

It just seems like an untapped resource that's there for the tapping.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:06 am

Then your first post makes little sense in regards to this explanation, as you specifically listed where Earth has "2 moons, 5 moons", we know it does not (unless you count Cruithne which I do not really think is quite the same as an actual moon per se, or the one known Trojan object in the L4 Lagrange point found in 2010), so any such addition would have to be fictional.

As for Pluto, most of the current Pluto system was only recently discovered(looking forward to the upcoming flyby images) , Charon has been known for some time, but not so much the others. Even Charon was only discovered in 1978... most of the rest between 2006 and 2012.

The great bulk of Sailor moon fan fiction came out before 2006. So practically none of the above would have been known of.

I have seen some spam fics with her reaction of Pluto being 'demoted' on the changed planetary status (thought the guys were morons and drunk when they came up with that nonsense, but whatever).

I *have* seen anime and sci fi use the various lagrange points of planets in different ways before... but none really relevant to what you want.

Would Ranma crossovers explaining how since the moon only ever faces 1 direction, it can support two senshi, thus Sailor Moon, and Sailor Darkside... seen a couple Ranma crossovers go that route

EDIT: removed a Kasumi example I realized after posting it made no sense
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:55 am

I phrased it that way because of what inspired my curiosity, basically. Sailor Moon fan-fiction was in production by the time those subjects about the moon came up, and while I was doubtful that anyone used that information I decided that it would be the equivalent of pulling the wool over my own eyes if I didn't allow the possibility of mentioning existing examples. Again, I wasn't looking for a story to read; I just wanted to bring the subject up and possibly sate my curiosity at the same time.

Yeah, the two Sailor Moons, because of tidal locking, is applicable. And I'm well aware of at least one story where Ranma is a Dark Side version of Sailor Moon. :P
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:05 pm

And what I'm wondering about aren't the addition of a fictional moon, but something based on reality.

Ah, well that´s a bit harder then probably...

Have seen a few with an extra moon/planet, or the moon as a "planet" at least once, but i think all of those (4 of them?) were based on fiction only.

Not much help am i... :|
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Again, I wasn't looking for a story to read; I just wanted to bring the subject up and possibly sate my curiosity at the same time.

Yeah, the two Sailor Moons, because of tidal locking, is applicable. And I'm well aware of at least one story where Ranma is a Dark Side version of Sailor Moon. :P

If that counts... wonder if you would care about a story called Task Force 43, not so far in the current version, but the prior version of the story had Mars being terraformed, and they got rid of the existing moons and moved Ceres into orbit.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:37 pm

If that were remotely possible right now, especially if any organization was planning to do that, sure. I would fit potential events in a similar category as transient ones, like eclipses. For instance, if there was a known celestial body that was predicted to be captured by Earth's gravity in the future and becoming a new moon. It's not really a technicality, as a result of ambiguous and/or changeable classifications, but even these things seem to have a potential that has barely been touched.

Spica75 wrote:Ah, well that´s a bit harder then probably...

Have seen a few with an extra moon/planet, or the moon as a "planet" at least once, but i think all of those (4 of them?) were based on fiction only.

Not much help am i... :|

If the fiction is based on reality, or is a coincidental facsimile (like the moon being considered a planet), I'd count that.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Return to Miscellaneous, Polls, RPGs