Bookmarking FFNet?

Talk about various bits of technology (both hardware and software) here. Also used for troubleshooting and other problems.

Re: Bookmarking FFNet?

Postby Spica75 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:For me, it's only working for some values of 'working'. It lets me bookmark things like the "Ranma/SailorMoon crossover pages, but not author pages nor story pages. Pity -- I like to bookmark authors for a rainy day. Then if it turns out I like them, I'll turn on author notifications. No longer works.

What if you copy/paste the address directly into a manually entered bookmark?
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Cheb wrote:Tried to bookmark chapters of my fic.

Everything worked. No matter which of the seven domains I allow or forbid to execute scripts. Firefox 24.0, Win 7 64.

In fact, you only have to allow scripts from three domains: fanfiction.net for the navigation to work, then netdna-cdn.com and ajax.googleapis.com (otherwise all the text appears centered).

I have those domains enabled -- but still can't bookmark author pages or chapters in Firefox. Works just fine in Internet Explorer. It sounds like that nasty nocopy that works only in Firefox, all right. Anybody know how to disable that?
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Cheb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:11 pm

The solutions I tested and found working (NOT for your problem, sorry, it's for selecting text):

Solution one, permanent

Follow steps 1-3 from http://superuser.com/questions/318912/h ... css#319322
-- the button was called "Open Folder", not "Open Containing Folder" in my Firefox versoin.
-- create that file inside the chrome folder
-- make sure it is named "userContent.css", not "userContent.css.txt". Windows hides file extensions by default.

Put this line as the file content:
* {-moz-user-select: text !important;}

Solution two, quick but temporary (You have to do this on each page, and it probably need corrections as soon as they update their CSS)

1. in Firefox, right-click near the top of the unselectable text --> Inspect Element . A debugging window should open in the bottom part of firefox window.
2. make sure its "Inspector" tab is selected.
3. Find <div class="storytext xcontrast_txt nocopy" in the DOM tree and select it.
4. Now the right window displays styles. Make sure its tab "Rules" is selected
5. Find .nocopy { (it was near the top for me)
6. Inside it find -moz-user-select: none; Hover your mouse over it
7. Uncheck the checkbox that appears
8. You can select the text now :twisted:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Well, I went to Mozilla Support and they gave an easy way to let you copy from the text: just go to the View Menu in Firefox (hit ALT to get the menus if they're not normally visible). Set the Page Style to "No Style" and while things may look a bit grotty, you can copy and paste. This particular question was prompted, in fact, by a question about FFnet's recalcitrant behavior.

I also tried the about:config modifications they suggested, but it didn't seem to do any good. Neither of these modifications lets me bookmark.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Hmmm... This is interesting. I figured I'd retest FF.NET against the Avant Browser engines to see if there were differences. The Avant Browser while using the Firefox rendering engine, behavior has changed considerably.

Now it is *much* slower at rendering a FanFiction.NET page than it was in my previous tests, which was around the time they first introduced the supposed copy/paste restrictions.

Copy/Paste behavior now (with no scripts, plug ins, or special settings) allows for copying the top story header/metadata section, but even though I can select the rest, it does not copy it. This is different from before in that I could not copy anything at all... or even select the rest. Again, that is with no 3rd party solutions in place.

However, despite changed functionality, I was still able to make a favorite/bookmark with no issues at all... so no clue why FireFox itself would act the way it is.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:31 am

Ellen, it seems like something is wrong with either your Firefox or some extension of it. Some corrupted setting, maybe?
I think we may assume we ruled the javascripts out.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Cheb wrote:Ellen, it seems like something is wrong with either your Firefox or some extension of it. Some corrupted setting, maybe?
I think we may assume we ruled the javascripts out.

Well -- to be sure, I just updated both Firefox and Java. Still won't bookmark author pages or story pages. Still have to set page style to "no style" to cut and paste. At least FanFictionDownloader still works -- or rather, works again in its current form.

Curses!
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Well -- to be sure, I just updated both Firefox and Java. Still won't bookmark author pages or story pages. Still have to set page style to "no style" to cut and paste. At least FanFictionDownloader still works -- or rather, works again in its current form.

Curses!

Ok... I assume you merely updated Firefox... If so then at this point, I would:

1. inventory your plug ins, see if any need updating discover if there are known compatibility issues, even try unloading them all and see if can make bookmarks.

2. back up the current bookmarks file, perhaps by not only copying it, but exportin it, then delete the whole file, and see if ti allows bookmarking with a fresh file.

If either 1 or 2 had an effect, you know what the issue is then.

If you still have issues, I would make sure that backup current and have a list of your plugins, then completely utterly remove Firefox and its plug ins from your system and reinstall all of it from scratch. The restore or reimport the bookmarks
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:48 am

I have noticed that I can't highlight text in stories anymore and I use Chrome. Highlighting text while I'm reading as a habit, so it was a little jarring when I could no longer do it.

Might be an internet explorer 10 problem. At home I have IE10 and can't highlight any text at fanfiction.net, but at work I have IE9 and highlighting works just fine.

I think that IE10 is crap. THe 'reopen last browsing session' option doesn't work, unfortunately, while at work I have noce such problems with IE9.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:59 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:Ok... I assume you merely updated Firefox... If so then at this point, I would:

1. inventory your plug ins, see if any need updating discover if there are known compatibility issues, even try unloading them all and see if can make bookmarks.

2. back up the current bookmarks file, perhaps by not only copying it, but exportin it, then delete the whole file, and see if ti allows bookmarking with a fresh file.

If either 1 or 2 had an effect, you know what the issue is then.

If you still have issues, I would make sure that backup current and have a list of your plugins, then completely utterly remove Firefox and its plug ins from your system and reinstall all of it from scratch. The restore or reimport the bookmarks

Bookmarking works just fine in Firefox -- except on FFnet author pages and story pages. I have Firefox 25.0, and I checked: all my plugins and add-ons are up to date. Restarting Firefox with all add-ons disabled just gets me more advertising. This is FFnet being petty. They broke FanFictionDownloader and it had to be upgraded. People on the Mozilla forums are specifically complaining about FFnet. I'm not about to do a grand reinstall and start my bookmarks afresh.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby iiradned » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Bookmarking works just fine in Firefox -- except on FFnet author pages and story pages. I have Firefox 25.0, and I checked: all my plugins and add-ons are up to date. Restarting Firefox with all add-ons disabled just gets me more advertising. This is FFnet being petty. They broke FanFictionDownloader and it had to be upgraded. People on the Mozilla forums are specifically complaining about FFnet. I'm not about to do a grand reinstall and start my bookmarks afresh.

I have no problems bookmarking author and story pages in Firefox 25.0
iiradned
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Dumbledork wrote:Might be an internet explorer 10 problem. At home I have IE10 and can't highlight any text at fanfiction.net, but at work I have IE9 and highlighting works just fine.

I think that IE10 is crap. THe 'reopen last browsing session' option doesn't work, unfortunately, while at work I have noce such problems with IE9.

Meh... I'm on IE10 and I still say copy/paste works fine for whole chapters. you merely have to start with the metadata portion, and copy a chapter.

Copy/Paste is not a IE only issue when Mozilla based browsers, and Chrome are all affected as well...

Shrugs... Picking a favorite browser is all about experience, I still say FireFox is crap for me, and IE is far more stable. Many will disagree.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:43 am

Of course RSS feeds haven't been working since like May or earlier. So I can't even see new stories (except in the Ranma Crossoverovers for some reason). Really sucks how much they seem to want to prevent people from enjoying their site.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:57 am

Actually, they just this last day completely reformatted and fixed category feeds...

I do wish they would implement story feeds though.

At this moment the only feed I believe still broke/disabled is the Just In feed...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Harrumph! Just had to hack my scripts so they'd continue to extract and reformat the updated/published date from a saved fic file. Trust them to use the lamest possible date format. As b4y well that their moving to https didn't break wget for me.
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Tech