Mondu's random fanart v 2013

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Mondu's random fanart v 2013

Postby mondu_the_fat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:21 pm

I haven't done anything in... 2 years. So, yesterday I girded my loins and tried to learn a couple of new programs -- meshmixer and sculptris. I've always had problems with 3d curves and hair, and I was hoping these programs would be easier to use for them.

ref: Ryouko's costume from the madoka fanfic To the Stars

Ah, ruffles and pleats, bane of my life. What better trial by fire than a costume that has a lot of it?
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Re: Mondu's random fanart v 2013

Postby Sunshine Temple » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Ooooh. That sounds like quite the challenge.

Good luck!
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:44 am

Shaping up
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:22 pm

I like how the details go and the flare below the waist.

The torso might be too narrow. I don't really know.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:51 pm

mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:02 pm

I really like the skirting on the upper one.

Though the fluted hem on the bottom one is really nice too.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:31 pm

|I like it, too.

Unfortunately, I misjudged the length. The skirt there is so short it makes the senshi skirt look decent. Seen frontal, the panties show. Had to lengthen it a bit.

The bottom one has the skirt to just over the knees.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:02 am

mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Chunkier toe box than your reference. Are you going for a stylized look?
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby mondu_the_fat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:33 pm

I'm trying to go for for a look similar to the original anime artwork rather than the one in the ref -- wide heads, shorter, thicker bodies, feet less defined. I think only Homura had pointed toes.

http://images.puella-magi.net/5/5f/Saya ... 0118153214
http://images.puella-magi.net/8/8c/Kyou ... 0205200127

That style of the ref pic is quite different, with the character being way more slender and mature looking.

But yeah, thay really look too clunky. I'll fix it.

Anyway, I'm getting more proficient. That dress above took over 2 weeks. I made this in an hour.

ref
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:08 am

Nice bustier!

Heart accent looks good.

Glad to see you're getting faster at it.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:41 am

Hair and head.

I'm not very happy with it.

I wanted something like this, the hair looking like a single mold. Unfortunately, hot damn if that's goddamn hard to do. Scouring for anime hair sculpting tutorials hasn't yielded results like that, either. They're usually end up looking like the one I made, or are transparency mapped hair, which is fine for realistic hair but not for what the look I'm trying to go for.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:07 am

Does the software allow you to do Boolean merges of solids?

That might allow you to merge the "tendrils" of hair with a "backing" of hair.

Though the image you linked also has champers and other curves at the intersection points.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:58 am

That's what I tried first -- a long, thick strand of hair, tweak it a bit, then union it into another strand of hair. After the fifth strand the mesh suddenly disinitegrates when I try to add another one, or if it weaves in and out too much (like the ref pic).

Tried art of illusion's boolean tools, but it hangs.

Might fool around with blender, but after reading the documentaion on the boolean tools I'm not sure it can handle it either.

It might probably need a professional program boolean tools to handle (likely 3dsmax if I'm feeling up to [cough] acquiring it).

What''s a champer? It isn't a single mold of hair, but several overlapping ones. It's going to look like crap when rendered.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:06 pm

That's a shame.

Sorry meant a chamfer (actually more of a fillet). It's a kind of blending between two solids or between corners.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Fillet.jpg
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Next

Return to Fan Art