Charcter ages

Discuss the Ranma series in this forum.

Re: Charcter ages

Postby LawOhki » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:44 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:I use 6 for nekoken right before Ukyo due to the anime saying 10 years and giving a reason for Genma to stay in an area for a while.

Yet one more thing the anime simply couldn't get right. Surprised they could even get character names correct.

Spokavriel wrote: 10 years is given as a generality many many times in series.

Perhaps the anime but the manga rarely gives such a time when referencing past events.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 pm

So do they say when Happy was put in the cave? Or how old Taro is? Be ause I don't remember that.

I'm guessing he's late teens. Somewhere around there but I'm uncertain.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:03 am

Ranma could easily be 15 at the start of the manga. We know other kids in his grade are 15 since the manga states Gosunkugi is 15 and Ranma looks for the mushroom that will turn him 16 in the later half of the manga and says that he'd lose a year if he ate the 17 cm one implying that he only turned 16 quite recently (else he'd lose months not a year) - so he could be 15 without violating canon at any point up until the mushrooms of aging arc.

The ages of most of the characters are never given though so you can without violating canon make them whatever age you want (with the inclusion of known age altering objects such as the mushrooms of aging, Jusenkyo, and whatever Happosai did to Miss Hinako even unreasonable ages could be used if you really wanted to). Shampoo,for example, could easily be the same age as Kasumi for all we know and it really wouldn't matter for the vast majority of stories.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:09 am

Given any of the ages stated for Cologne, Shampoo could be as old as Nodoka without being any physically older than the main NWC cast members.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 am

O_O a 30 year old Shampoo?! That's...

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:06 am

I believe there's a fanfic based on the premise that Shampoo is quite old (because Cologne is 300 and thus Amazons mature /really/ slow) -- finds out Ranma is 16 and is instantly disgusted because he's practically a baby. Or something of that nature.

More realistically, I've seen ones where she's like 18, Mousse is like 20, etc.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:17 am

You sure you are not thinking of one with the Phoenix people like that?

I know of one where Kiima had to beg Saotome to come back to Phoenix Mountain to help them against the Musk... She was insulted and shocked when it was inadvertantly revealed he was not even an adult yet... she did not realize humans age different. Could not believe a mere child beat Saffron.

In any case, the story was 'Loss Hope and Redemption' by Gaming Ikari.
Last edited by PCHeintz72 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:17 am

Forum doubled my post...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 pm

PCHeintz72 wrote:You sure you are not thinking of one with the Phoenix people like that?

Pretty sure. Of course I've been wrong before, but I distinctly remember that. It was probably a short fic, maybe even a spamfic.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:46 pm

I do remember a fic where Shampoo is older, but that was because mushrooms.

Remember, we don't know how many greats there really are. And the anime said 300 but the manga is 100 I believe. Which is much more reasonable.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Noy Telinú wrote: Like Ranma... Why think he's anything other than 16 to start the series? He's in the same class as Akane, he looks for the 16 cm mushroom and is set to marry a Tendo on arrival. Yet I've seen him at 15, which would make him unable to legally marry a Tendo.
During the "Mushrooms of Time" (Japan 33.03-33.05 / Viz 31.03-31.05) arc Ranma claims to have recently turned 16 for an unknown reason. If Ranma thinks he had only recently turned 16 then a 17 centimeter mushroom would have made a huge difference. This would mean Ranma thinks he was 15 when he arrived at the Tendo home.

Ranma's age can also vary greatly depending on what method of age reckoning is used. If Genma was using the traditional east Asian method instead of the legal/western method Ranma could be as young as 13 years old at the start of the series which would be oddly fitting given the themes of the series.
http://web.archive.org/web/201108281016 ... japan.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_age_reckoning

Ranma was to be engaged to one of Soun's daughters, and in all honesty there was no reason to rush things. Most likely the original plan was for Ranma to marry after finishing high school or college.

Noy Telinú wrote: Also, Kodachi has been considered 15 by a lot of fanfics. Why? She's in high school and it's been established that first year high schoolers are 16. And that Nabiki is 17 along with Kuno, so Kodachi being 16 isn't impossible.
To use Sailor Moon as an example, all of the Sailor Senshi's birthdays are scattered throughout the year. Uranus and Neptune are one grade above the 5 inners while not being a full year older then the youngest inner There is no realistic way to have everyone the exact same age, at the exact same time, in the exact same grade.

Noy Telinú wrote: It judge confuses me. Canon set this to be very likely as there is nothing on age jokes or mentions that would say that Ranma, Ryoga, Kodachi, Shampoo and Mousse are younger or older than Akane by a year or more.
Genma using the traditional method of age reckoning would be a joke in that it would mean Ranma could be 13 years old at the start of the series. 13 years old was the minimum age for a girl to marry with parental consent when Ranma 1/2 was written, and 16 was the minimum age to marry with parental consent. The minimum age for a girl was raised to 16 and for a boy was raised to 18 in 1995.

It also doesn't help that Genma took Ranma before Ranma could seemingly walk or talk. Genma may not even know what the date of Ranma's birth is.

We can only guess at most of the character's ages.

Noy Telinú wrote: And WHY would female Ranma be younger biologically?
Logically Ranma's female form would not be physically younger then Ranma's male form during the series, but it might differ in physical age as Ranma gets older. There are springs that turn people into babies after all.

Girls can be down right tiny in their teens, and if you look at Ranma's flashbacks during his time going to school with Ryoga, you will note Ranma went through some rather large growth spurts while in China.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 am

Yeah, not rush, that's why they tried to marry them immediately a ton, and actually almost did it twice. :roll:

Ranma being 13 is crazy though. And I know Ranma is tiny as a girl, but I see no difference in growth spurts for male Ranma.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Noy Telinú wrote:Yeah, not rush, that's why they tried to marry them immediately a ton, and actually almost did it twice. :roll:
How many attempts were there a marriage? Off the top of my head you have the time they thought Akane had been turned into a duck, and then you have the failed wedding which Akane was one of the people trying to force the marriage.

Noy Telinú wrote:Ranma being 13 is crazy though.
It is possible for Ranma to be as young as 13 at the start of the series.

It makes perfect sense in that Genma would want Ranma in school as soon as possible. It makes earning a living easier if he doesn't have to keep track of a kid all the time. School can be looked at as daycare the state is paying for after all.

Noy Telinú wrote:And I know Ranma is tiny as a girl, but I see no difference in growth spurts for male Ranma.
I don't know what version of Ranma 1/2 you have, but in ISBN 0-929279-93X on page 225 Ranma looks tiny to me compared to his classmates in the flashback.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Let's see... duck, the first time before going to China where Soun ambushes Akane and forces her. Then when they come back.

And Ranma is NOT 13! There are two guys taller than him, Mousse and Kuno and Kuno is a freaking giant to practically everyone! He is as tall as Ryoga even in the flashbacks. If he appears short, maybe its because its malnutrition.

But then he puts Ranma in high school, which isn't mandatory...

Looked in book one, Ryoga fits right in with the group of guys, Ryoga is Ranma's size two pages over. Yeah, they're GIANT compared to them... :roll:

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:38 pm

TerraEpon wrote:He is clearly younger in the anime than in the manga for the NekoKen, which is why most people write about it happening when he's 6 or 7 (sometimes even before he meets Ukyo)

In the official dub of the anime, Genma outright says that he did the NekoKen training in "the spring of Ranma's 6th year" before he hands over the manual to Soun. When people piecemeal together details from both continuities like that, things creep in.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Ranma