Soul bond: Ranma/Hotaru

For submitting and talking about story ideas, individual scenes that need doctoring, outlines, or other detail work that isn't quite ready for the C&C thread.

Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Soul bond: Ranma/Hotaru

Postby WG_Writer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:05 am

reposted old idea (also rethought a bit)

In Sailor Moon we have the obvious and common regarded connection between Usagi and Mamoru, sometimes refered to as a bond, sometimes called being soul mates. Regardless the reference its always there. But what if such a connection is severed.

Basically the idea was that Hotaru and Ranma shared such a bond, but when M9 had infested her it partially severed the bond, not completely but just enough that it caused it to go wild. It was like a live wire bouncing around on his end looking for the right person to connect to, as such anyone who was spiritally close, not mentally close, or physically either, to Hotaru it would connect briefly. this caused many of the love at first sight problems for Ranma of girls that would not give up on him. the more they are arround the more it triggered a sub-consious need to not let him go, which explains Akane's constant declairation of noot accepting the engagment yet still defending her claim despite saying she wasn't.

Due to distance and the reincarnation event at the end of the saga the connection takes time to reconnect. eventually it does and Ranma heads off to find this person he can feel out there.

I wish I had an actual plot to go with this but I just cannot think of one at this time.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Re: Soul bond: Ranma/Hotaru

Postby Spica75 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:29 am

Huh... Well that´s a new take on it at least...

Sounds workable, and potentially good.

The fact that i´m yet to find anything but ok or better Ranma/Hotaru fics doesn´t affect me at all...

Mmm, so what happens with Ranma´s pack of girls when the bond DO reconnect? Do those gets severed instead, do they stay as before, or do those also connect more strongly? :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:47 am

Its all momentary connections, as Ranma is away they would temporarily be focused on him, but as time passes the effects fade. If you look at all the girls that follow him arround constantly there are, aside from Kodachi other forces that are forcing their presence. Shampoo has to at least try, same with Ukyo, and Akane. Nabiki in her own way does focus on him although in her own twisted way, Kasumi is a non-character as far as main canon plot is concerned.

warning long winded explaination:

The main thing is when ever some other potential girl with nothing forcing the issue appears they rarely return when driven off, almost a: "why did I like him again."

The Tendo's would look, but likely won't look in the right directions initally. despite Fanon impressions Nabiki isn't that good at tracking anything that doesn't directly have money affixed to it, and only then when she can see it. Ukyo is persistant, but it seemed more of a getting lucky thing for her appearance otherwise we have ten years worth of explaination of why she had not encountered Ranma. Nodoka is a non-issue, she never looked before so something tells me she is not about to pull out '1337 ninja tacking skills.'

Shampoo on the other hand does seem to have the right skill set to be an issue. I could almost see Ranma having issues losing her, but she is the only real problem.

The Kuno's never bothered actually tracking him before and the curse would easily mess with any mundane tracking they might implement after the fact. especially if Ranma were in female form for a time, lets see, kodachi would specifically be looking for male Ranma, and I doubt that her brother would be able to describe female Ranma well.

Genma is another issue, while losing tails is debatable, he is smarter then he lets on. he has shown instances of above average intelligence when it suits him. After all he has gotten a job, albeit a low paying one easily when it suits him, rather easily. he did create not one but two schools of martial arts, and he does know Ranma rather well.

Cologne may be another issue, although how well she can track could be debated, its easy to assume that she is better then Shampoo being the one that trained her, however, how many people have parrents better at computers then themselves? Cologne might be relying on older skills that may not work as well. Also she always knew roughly in advance where anyone she was looking for was, Shampoo tracked Ranma down one side of China, with him changing forms randomly, over to Japan, and then found him knowing very little of the language, and was still able to get the address, keeping in mind the addressing system they used at the time was less then accurate.

So again the only problems I can see are Shampoo and Genma. they can easily be sent down the wrong path by a casual visit to the nekohatten by some random teenaged girl trying to find the "good looking guy" that had visited 'random school in other part of japan'. Genma is inately lazy when it comes to work and would likely follow someone elses work. it could be an amusing side story of the entire NWC following false leads on their own (only the first is fabricated).

---

my original idea had the link tieing into the curse so that when one switched genders it affected the other too... but in retro spect I doubt that would work.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Vocaloid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:16 pm

The idea sounds very doable and interesting. And s for the curse aspect, I can see it possibly causing Hotoru to be healthier, more energetic and less of a wallflower while Ranma is in the "cursed" form
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Hmmm... some thoughts...

I would want it destroyed once discovered, not reconnected. Sure I can see the view of it benefitting Hotaru, but I see no such thing for Ranma...

But unless the emotional and relationship aspect can be negated or undone... then to me, this is still a form of enslavement or perhaps mental influencing... it is in this outright affecting feelings and relationship bonds.

I would go with this maybe if when it was initially made (presumably in the Moon Kingdom) their lives then were that close already, but not now in another lifetime where they do not have a preexisting bond outside of one caused by this.

Destroying it may get rid of the others (Akane, Shampoo, etc...), but even the pain he might experience from that loss would not mean a control is being placed on him... but releasing him.

You could have the story go exactly as you discuss.. but instead of seeking out to rejoin with this person (Hotaru)... you have him seeking her to cure him of it...

I have seen links somewhat like what you describe in two different stories...

One between Ranma and Hotaru and Sasami done once before R-AA 'Ranma Saturn-Jurai'. In that, it has been determined that Ranma cannot meet with the two linked to him too soon... so he keeps getting delayed. Sadly dead, I quite liked this one.

The other I originally Read on MediaMiner, but is also on AA... 'Shared Wishes, Shared Lives' by Archangel Bloodraven. Ranma has no such link per see... but actually has a altered aura that includes a compatibility component that allows those around him to occasionally see what they want in him that is compatible with them, or even make them bend to be compatible with him...

Oh... and on the following;
and I doubt that her brother would be able to describe female Ranma well.

Would not need to describe her (might be amusing to have him spend extreme amounts of dialogue doing so to some detective)... he only has about a bazillion pictures... as for giving a name, and accepting the cure... no chance.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:55 am

would they want the bond severed though? If both are happy being together then why break would they want to risk the relationship that way? I think if done it would make for interesting subplot. I have seen stories done before where Ranma has had a bond of sorts (a Day after Tomorrow cross that I remember reading was one example).

Hotaru is someone who was seperated from everyone for her entire life as far as she had seen. Only when she started living with the Outers had she known differently. With the bond between Moon and Kamen being known and accepted, Hotaru would be likely to favor such a connection. Ranma is more of a free spirit, he does show he can be very loyal almost to a fault. So he himself would be torn.

If I was to do this the 'pull' to the north would be like an itch. He would be distracted. While he was there it wouldn't bother him so much and his search for "Hotaru" would confuse him. Even more so when he finds her. Since it was never given point as to how it more or less figured out mostly by Mamoru and his memories, it likely would take some time for Ranma and Hotaru to figure anything out. By then a real relationship would form. At that point its the same situation as Moon/Kamen.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Return to Ideas, Outlines and Scenes