An idea for FF.net

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

An idea for FF.net

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Since people look at reviews to get an impression of what kind of story they're considering to read, the last thing an author wants is some opinionated idiot's review (who probably doesn't even know what in the world they're talking about) being the first one people see. So, why not have an option where the author can choose a single review that appears first? Sort of an "author's choice" type of deal, or how movies, books and other such things have a choice on whose criticism/review to add onto their cover (if any at all). While authors can certainly take advantage of it by choosing a review that's nothing but praise (which is normal in the professional world, anyway), people should be able to tell if it's real, constructive criticism or an empty attempt to put a positive spin on the story.

What do you think?
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Re: An idea for FF.net

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:15 pm

I think it isn't something to really worry about. Anyone who will look at the reviews before reading will likely read more than one.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:28 pm

I agree with Spok. I usually read at least 10 reviews when I bother to check.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Another thing.Even If the first review is completely negative but is really long talking on allot of different parts then there had to be something good they didn't think to comment on that kept them around to make so many comments.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:05 pm

It's just that I assume that most people who read at FF.net don't have the attention span to go through enough reviews to get a good representation of the story they're considering. And I think it'd be rewarding to reviewers and might help to encourage them to give the thorough and constructive criticism that authors are (or should be) looking for. And if just one review can sum up what ten or twenty reviews give in bits and pieces, that would be beneficial for both parties.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:42 pm

It is very rare indeed I will read reviews on FF.NET or Mediaminer.ORG to determine whether to read a story.

i find my own opinion far more valuable... and it subjugates you to the reviewers standards rather than your own...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:20 pm

I don't read reviews before reading stories either, or even consider the amount (because I think that has to do more with other factors (like how big the audience is for the series involved to begin with) than what it means for its readability), but for those who would look at reviews first (and may not look far enough beyond what the author might consider to be misrepresentative trash) I'd rather they see a review that gives them a good idea of what to expect if they read the story. While many authors will more than likely just use it to do the, "Penn & Teller give it two thumbs up," sort of deal (which is normal and to be expected), a serious writer like myself would prefer even that over the taint of reviewers who don't know what they're talking about, except that they know how to do it out of their asses. (And I don't just mean the ones who feel it's necessary to swear like it's going out of style.)

ijp92 wrote:The only time that breaks down is when the author posts the whole story at once.

In that case you can probably take the amount of chapters and multiply the amount of reviews to get some idea of the potential amount of reviews it would have gotten if the chapters had been posted one at a time. ;p
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:48 pm

I also noticed that my story got bumped up in the queue. What's up with that? Let it rest in peace, already! XD
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Next

Return to Other Talk