Should the Senshi have more powers?

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Re: Should the Senshi have more powers?

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Their attacks get increasingly powerful as the seasons go on. It could be a progression -- why fight a daimohn with a 22LR pistol if you have recently come into a tommy gun?

One attack -- ideal for a fukufic -- is the manga-only Jupiter Coconut Cyclone. Da perfict ting take down da bid kahuna!

There have been fantasy novels by the bushelfull where a magician could only carry around a limited number of spells. Just assume Sailor Moon lives in that universe. As more powerful spells become available, the gentler ones are put away for storage.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Spica75 wrote:You´re kidding?

Google it.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Knight of L-sama » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:55 am

Actually I think that they did keeps the attacks from previous seasons, at least in the anime. I remember Ami using Shabon Spray a time or two in R (and maybe once in S) to cover a getaway even after getting a better attack and I'm certain that Minako used the Love-Me-Chain at one point in Stars, not as an attack but as an improvised rope/lasso.

I think the reason that the attacks don't get re-used is a power issue. The upgrades are more powerful than the previous versions and so unless they have a specific utility like the aforementioned, there's no point in using the less powerful ones and in Rei and Makoto's case there attacks don't really have any specific utility like Ami and Minako have, however limited.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:03 am

I decided to look at upgraded sailor senshi like I do cars. You get a new model and it's bound to handle differently, perhaps doing better and/or worse in certain areas. The only way to experience what you had before is to go back to driving the other car.

And those extra-powerful attacks they use at least once? That's when they get their nitrous on. :P
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:55 am

Could work like in Pokemon as illustrated here. :mrgreen: Literally can only know 2 or three moves.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:32 am

I don't think they necessarily need more powers, because the powers that usually do become obsolete are ones that wouldn't be as powerful as the newer attacks, and considering the strength of newer enemies that come along, it's understandable.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon