Questions on Sailor Mercury

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Questions on Sailor Mercury

Postby three headed dog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:25 pm

I was recently reading a Ranma/ Sailormoon crossover and a few questions popped into my head since I do not know the Sailormoon series very well (most of what I know comes from crossover fan fiction which are not always accurate <--understatement).

Does Ami do anything besides get good grades that shows her extreme intellect? I ask this because getting extremely good grades would not necessarily mean she is extremely smart. The reason I say this is because from what I read her favorite hobby and majority of her time is spent studying (heard she even does it to the point that she studies at concert). If you study all the damn time you should be getting extremely good grades. If she got extremely good grades and didn't study I probably would not question it.

Does she really read romance novels?

I read that Ami is generally shy, somewhat secretive since she doesn't want to be a bother to others, but she is competitive about one thing and that is grades on exams is that true?

I also heard that she fell in love with someone named Mercurius, even though she did not know who he was, solely because he did extremely well on the exams. True or not? I ask because that seems somewhat shallow, falling in love based on one trait without ever meeting the person it is very similar to those people who fall in love based only on looks, and she is usually not portrayed as a shallow person.

She also according to a site I looked at thinks people do not like her because she is smart (the site said the real reason is because they are jealous). Out of idle curiosity does she ever portray herself to be very smart in such a way that other people would dislike her for reasons besides jealously, things like look down on people who do not do as well as her, imply that other people are dumb, be arrogant about her intellect, etc. Basically does she portray her intellect in a way that would trigger Ranma's competitive nature?

Other than doing well on exams and swimming what skills is she shown to have? Has she displayed skills in things like cooking, first aid, art, music, etc.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Questions on Sailor Mercury

Postby KonokoHasano » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:41 pm

Other than studying and fighting as Sailor Mercury, Ami doesn't really have many other hobbies besides swimming and playing chess. Her main goal, though, is to become a doctor like her mother, so I'd imagine that she knows some first aid.

I also heard that she fell in love with someone named Mercurius, even though she did not know who he was, solely because he did extremely well on the exams. True or not? I ask because that seems somewhat shallow, falling in love based on one trait without ever meeting the person it is very similar to those people who fall in love based only on looks, and she is usually not portrayed as a shallow person.

I don't think her affections for Greg/Ryo -- if that's who you were really talking about -- were merely based off of intelligence. They did seem to like each other. Greg/Ryo was also only present in the anime.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:17 pm

I do not know who Greg/ Ryo is. I just googled Mercurius (to see if Mercurius was this Greg person) and it says that Mercurius is from the special Ami's first love and she never finds out whom he is (someone named Umino according to google).
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:29 pm

Ah, that's what it was then. The short was adapted from an extra story/omake in the manga and first aired with the third Sailor Moon movie.

Umino is Melvin in the English dub.

Greg/Ryo was a boy from the Rainbow Crystals arc, which was an anime-only thing. He also made an appearance in a future episode.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:49 pm

>Basically does she portray her intellect in a way that would trigger Ranma's competitive nature?
Hell, no. I'd better describe her as terminally shy. She is so shy that she gets hives if someone sends her a love letter.
She could feel embarrassed by Usagi's goofiness. She could get angry at Usagi's goofiness. But she never, ever puts herself above others.

Her negative traits are:
a). She could get very competitive (she felt Mercurius being a rival, which practically ignited her)
b). She is prone to over-analyzing and over-rationalizing, which easily leads her to a heavy paranoia.

AFAIR, her favorite hobby is reading. Her favorite food is anything you could eat with one hand while reading or typing.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:39 pm

Oh-ho! A knowledgeable person appears! But I'll mostly be supplementing what Cheb has already said.

Ami is reputed to have an IQ of 300, but that doesn't necessarily translate into what makes her smart, in regard to the different perspectives that people have on intelligence. The only other senshi suggested to be beyond her is Pluto (which is understandable, since she's had more time and experience than any other senshi). As far as applying her intelligence effectively, especially in relation to her duty as a senshi, it's inconclusive. She doesn't have much in the way of opportunity, in the manga, to show her intelligence in a constructive way. In the anime, however, she's used a lot more often for finding weak spots and coming up with strategies (especially in the beginning). Otherwise, most of her intelligence seems to be applied to her studies.

As for her studies, she really is serious about them, and gets on her friends' cases when she finds them lacking proper attention toward their own studies. And she gets very competitive with anyone who gets comparable scores/grades (like with Mercurious).

But she is really shy. It's because of her shyness that she appears aloof to other people. And because other people know she's smart, they mistake her aloofness for being snobby. That's why she didn't have any friends prior to meeting Usagi.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby DarkFyre99 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:09 pm

I see others have addressed some of these points, so forgive me if I repeat what they said. ^_^;

three headed dog wrote:I was recently reading a Ranma/ Sailormoon crossover and a few questions popped into my head since I do not know the Sailormoon series very well (most of what I know comes from crossover fan fiction which are not always accurate <--understatement).

Does Ami do anything besides get good grades that shows her extreme intellect? I ask this because getting extremely good grades would not necessarily mean she is extremely smart. The reason I say this is because from what I read her favorite hobby and majority of her time is spent studying (heard she even does it to the point that she studies at concert). If you study all the damn time you should be getting extremely good grades. If she got extremely good grades and didn't study I probably would not question it.
Ami does indeed study quite a bit. But studying isn't the only aspect of her intelligence.

She has, for example, demonstrated fluency in both English and German. She's also a top-ranked chess player, able to compete against chess masters three times her age. She has, on occasion, written lyrics for instrumental music she likes, and IIRC poetry as well. In the anime, at least, she was one of the first to join the Starlight's fan club. She's also a mystery novel fan.

Throughout the series, she's almost always the first to get a non-standard situation, at least when it doesn't involve her. It is because of this trait that she's often considered a "covert pervert."

She's also the Senshi's "science officer." While the Mercury Computer and her visor do give her an advantage in that department, she's able to do it on the fly, in the middle of battle.

Does she really read romance novels?

I know she's a fan of mystery novels, but I don't recall anything about reading romance novels..

I read that Ami is generally shy, somewhat secretive since she doesn't want to be a bother to others, but she is competitive about one thing and that is grades on exams is that true?
Yes. In Ami-chan's First Love, she slays a monster by herself because she thought it was sabotaging her effort to get the top ranked score in the country. She's very proud of her #1 in the country ranking. It's a good thing there are no international exams.

I also heard that she fell in love with someone named Mercurius, even though she did not know who he was, solely because he did extremely well on the exams. True or not?
No.

Mercurius was Ami's rival for the #1 ranking in Ami-Chan's First Love. The above mentioned monster was very confused when she accused it of being Mercurius right she blasted it. There was a very brief (and completely one sided on his part) "romance" with a psychic named Ryo in the anime. I believe she's gone on record as not having time for love right now.

She also according to a site I looked at thinks people do not like her because she is smart (the site said the real reason is because they are jealous). Out of idle curiosity does she ever portray herself to be very smart in such a way that other people would dislike her for reasons besides jealously, things like look down on people who do not do as well as her, imply that other people are dumb, be arrogant about her intellect, etc. Basically does she portray her intellect in a way that would trigger Ranma's competitive nature?
While she is competative, she's more the type to offer to tutor someone than belittle them. She's pretty much the reason why the Inners, with the exception of Rei, are able to pass their entrance exams for Juuban High School. She's quite shy, and combined with her study habits, and her very wealthy mother, has lead to some people thinking she's a snob.

Other than doing well on exams and swimming what skills is she shown to have? Has she displayed skills in things like cooking, first aid, art, music, etc.
Besides what I've mentioned above, she is a fair cook and it has been shown that she prepares her own lunch, but favors food that can be eaten with one hand, so she can hold a book with the other. IIRC, she's demonstrated proficiency at both CPR and mouth-to-mouth, which given her interest in medicine shouldn't be surprising. In the anime, she's also a good singer, but that's not surprising either given her voice actress. Like many children of wealth, she's also demonstrated considerable skill at etiquette.

All in all, I'd say that describing Mizuno Ami as "smart" or "studious" really doesn't do justice to her. I think the best way to describe her would be a Renaissance Man.
you can find my stories at: DarkFyre99 on Fanfiction.net
DarkFyre99
Senshi Cadet

Postby Tovath » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:11 pm

Hmm... Just a second.

There put her on the Renaissance Man page for you. :mrgreen:
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Pusakuronu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:52 am

three headed dog wrote:Basically does she portray her intellect in a way that would trigger Ranma's competitive nature?

Well, she's also amazing at computer games, even if she doesn't usually play them. She got the high score on her first try at the Sailor V console in the arcade, and she also won a fighting game competition once during Stars, despite having never played the game before. It's one potential competitiveness trigger, if for some strange reason both wanted to win.
Pusakuronu
Senshi Candidate

Postby Wyrd » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Mercurious was not Umino, he was a friend of Umino's who bore a very strong resemblance to the little geek. Apparently, the hiragana for his name, when reversed, form the name Mercurious. I don't remember what that name was. Ami did not fall in love with him, but she did have a fantasy image of her rival when she found out there was someone who could actually challenge her. Like most fantasies, it was a bit shallow, but unlike her friends, I suspect that she would have liked him despite his looks. At the least, she would have admired his intelligence and enjoyed competing with him in other areas.

Mercurius was Ami's rival for the #1 ranking in Ami-Chan's First Love. The above mentioned monster was very confused when she accused it of being Mercurius right she blasted it. There was a very brief (and completely one sided on his part) "romance" with a psychic named Ryo in the anime. I believe she's gone on record as not having time for love right now.

I disagree about it being completely one sided. Ami did reciprocate somewhat, though not as strongly as Ryo. She stated that she didn't have time for love right now, but she did seem interested in him and flattered by his interest(as opposed to her usual response of freaking out/hives).

She has also demonstrated her intelligence by actually writing her own computer game, which she gave to chibi-Usa as her going away present when chibi-Usa returned to the future.

As far as Ranma is concerned, I could only see them competing if someone came up with a martial arts mathematics competition. Ranma has so little respect for school and anything scholastic that just about anyone can beat him in that area and he just doesn't care. Something would have to happen in the fanfic to make him care about academics before he would feel threatened enough for his competitiveness to rear it's ugly head. The best relationship I've come across for the two of them was www.sailorranko.com where she was his tutor because his grades sucked that much.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby three headed dog » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Ranma has shown himself to be competitive in things other than martial arts (like when he felt insulted by Tsubasa or when he got in a cooking duel with Akane) and at least in the manga he does show respect (for example when teachers told him to go in the hall he would) and is interested in scholastic things (Ranma can be seen reading a lot in the manga it is what he appears to do the most often besides practicing martial arts for example martial arts scrolls, dating magazines to pick up dating techniques, a book on chiropractics after Dr Tofu hurt his neck and is seen reading things that we the readers can not make out very often like while waiting for Ryoga to show up, at the beginning of the Orachi arc, while going to bed when Miss Hinako was staying at the Tendo's,at the end of the master student pill arc, etc.). He just does not respect Miss Hinako or the principal (no one else in the class does either, including Akane). He is at worst average at school in the manga and he was shown to actually care about his grade in the manga (when the principal implied his grade was bad he did not believe it then got worried that it was because he could not believe he is doing worse than Kuno) - He is competitive and cares about his image so for him to do poor in school would be out of character since Ranma would not want to look or be thought of as dumb.

Also it does not take much to get Ranma's competitive nature to rear. Calling Ranma an idiot, implying that he does poorly, or being arrogant (rub it in his face even a little bit that your doing better than him) is enough to get it to show up.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:16 pm

And that's pretty much exactly how he is in the anime too. He might occasionally ask for a little assistance from Akane, but that's usually after he's had to skip a lot of school due to challenges, training trips, or general weirdness. He's not an enthusiastic scholar, but he's no idiot jock, and he is fiercely competitive, even when it's not directly martial arts. The main reason he was so hyped up to challenge Sotatsu Jikei'ien was because he mocked Ranma's handwriting abilities. Ranma's self image means a lot to him, it's about the only thing he has (his closest "friends" are the girls out to marry him and the guys who want to beat his head in, he has no home of his own, no job, and his father's shadiness means his family honor is pretty much shot to hell and back), so he will respond even to challenges that he ordinarily wouldn't care about, like his ability to play a convincing girl.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby three headed dog » Wed May 11, 2011 11:22 pm

and an idiot outside of it

That is mostly fanon or possibly anime canon though I think even there they make a point to show that he is not an idiot. He is pretty good at most everything he has done or tried to do (exception skating but even there he was figuring it out and improving as the match progressed) and is shown to read quite often (it is what we see him doing the most discounting martial arts). He is not a social person though and outright ignores social convention most of the time.

Ranma doesn't plan until just before he acts, most of the time.

That isn't really true at least of the manga incarnation. He is constantly planning and scheming but is far better at improvising. Ranma is the most manipulative character in the manga constantly coming up with plans/schemes such as using his girl form to trick Ryoga, his infiltration into the Chardon's house to learn the style, his plans to get Happosai to change Taro's name, his attempt to manipulate the principal into telling him how to get the Coconut with the pass in it, his plan to use girl repellent to beat Happosai, his plan of revenge against Nabiki, his plan to get Tatewaki to give him the wishing sword, planned to hook up Ryoga with Akari, etc.
three headed dog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon