Redheads inspired. Is the cross impossible?

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Is it impossible? (Multiple changeable choice)

Maybe... Haven't seen one where it was really Ranma with Lina that is complete.
31%
Maybe... Haven't seen one where it was really Ranma with Lina that is complete.
28%
Yes, I know one
No votes
Yes, I know one
No votes
Yes
14%
Yes
14%
No
No votes
No
No votes
I doubt it can actually survive their personalities without going OOC
7%
I doubt it can actually survive their personalities without going OOC
7%

Total votes : 29

Redheads inspired. Is the cross impossible?

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:39 pm

Is it possible to finish a Ranma in Slayers world fic?

Lack of access to hot enough water etc keeping Ranma a girl and his girl form's similarity to Lina Inverse getting noticed seem to be close to as far as it gets. Could a Dragon be spooked by Ranma?

As far as the Cast goes I really only know how it looks when individual Ranma characters and Slayers ones run into eachother because of fics in the Lost Library of Florestica. They are often fun for a scene or two.

Is there any new way to get Ranma into another world? Would Ranma get sent there alone?

Would Ranma acclimate to the world or seek out a Claire Bible after hearing of it to find a way home?

So many questions its hard to make a real idea.

Ranma Saotome in the Girl Days scenario was stuck as a girl by a promise to live that way given to Nodoka. Still honor bound how about exploiting the Wish sword to get Ranma into the other world? "May Ranma Saotome be banished to a world where Sorcerers belong to never beguile my loves again."

When would be a good time frame or situation to get Ranma into so its easier to survive without being forced to live off og Genma's methods of provisioning?

Would Ranma suffer from an excessive appetite again and stumble across one of Lina's feasts and start eating part? Talk about potentials for confusing Goury. Even though Ranma has a better figure.

Would Ranma encounter trouble Lina stirred up? Would his Martial arts serve him well in that situation?

What about using the Promise to live as a girl until Nodoka says its ok to change back? That could make it so Ranma would have to return to his home world before he can honorably change back. How would his honor be tried by that?

What would Xellos think of having a Better Built different eye color near twin to Lina around that can't use magic?

Sorry if this isn't enough for an idea. But I hope some real full plots grow from this and someone actually completes a new story from it.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Redheads inspired. Is the cross impossible?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:28 pm

My poll answer is "yes."

Of course, this is due to a story idea that I have, that's been gathering dust for years. I have every intention of writing it... It's just that I still feel like I don't know enough about how magic works, or what kind of spell might be used when. I have the first three seasons of the anime, but I probably won't feel confident enough until I've read enough of the manga. Coincidentally, I was planning on getting some of the manga in June. I almost decided to yesterday. (I ordered Tenchi GXP and tried again for the first Tokyo Mew Mew graphic novel instead.)
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:08 pm

@Crescent
I'd suggest reading the translated light novels. They'll help give you a much better understanding of the magic system, and they're really good, written from Lina's point of view, and quite funny and exciting. I've read all 8 of them, and keep them on the bookshelf in my room. If I remember correctly, it Slayers actually started out as a column in the Japanese version of Dragon magazine (Dragon magazine is a Dungeons and Dragons related magazine if you don't know that) and it was so popular they were compiled and edited into a series of light novels, which were so popular they made an anime. It means Lina likely started out as a character the writer played in a D&D game.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sun May 01, 2011 1:02 am

Yeah, I had an idea for something along these lines as well, but there's just too much on my plate to really consider writing it. I think if you extrapolate and give enough characterization to L-sama, you could use a capricious act to get Ranma into the world and empowered with magic just because it would be amusing.

I could see a lot of room for both Slayers style antics with Ranma, as both are rather physical humor, and a lot of Ranma-esque awkward situations. Plus, I think having Amelia be delighted by the curse would be funny, and Zelgadis could probably commiserate.

I've not seen a full length fic pull it off, but I think it is quite possible and I think if it were done right, it would be quite good.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:49 am

Zelgadis could probably commiserate

Zelgadis would likely hear of the Nannichaun and jump in whole heartedly to figure out a way to get Ranma home so that he too can 'visit'.

Anyway, while the cross is humorous and I've read a couple fics where it's been attempted I don't think it'll work. Ranma isn't exactly powerful enough to throw down with any of the main Slayers cast he'd get swatted like an annoying bug. Call Lina a flat chested tomboy or something just once and he's dead. Either a Dragon Slave, Ragna Blade, etc and Ranma has no chance. Considering also that the spell provides a barrier to protect the casters in the Slayers-verse that can only be overcome by a stronger spell and Ranma loses hardcore. Yes he might beat some of them hand to hand but once you break out the spells Ranma's going to get destroyed. The only way to really save him from that fate is either to make him somehow be nice to Lina, maybe kowtowing to the fact that she can cure his curse, or making the spring he fell in give him magical talent or some such. I don't like the idea of making Ranma into Lina or having Lina be the one to drown at Jusenkyou though (though the shared seyiuu in Megumi Hayashibara is cute). It's been done and honestly don't think its a good idea in the first place. I suppose the idea of the Lord of Nightmares transporting him over could work since one of the worlds on the staffs are supposed to be a ninja/martial artish world. Really though as fun as that interaction could be at points I don't see the overall compatibility.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sun May 01, 2011 8:23 am

I dunno, you could run the Lina/Ranma interaction just like the super-fanonized Ranma/Akane interaction. Ranma says something stupid and then Lina blows him up. I mean, she blows everyone up, and rarely are friendlies actually permanently hurt by it. I think the insult/comedy angle could work really well at the end of the day. I think the whole: Ranma + lots of powerful females angle could work out nicely if a few of them decided to fall for him and fight over him too (especially Naga, ohohohohohoho!).

Sure, unless you give him some enhancement, Ranma couldn't hold up to the big guns. But reasonably, if Gourry can produce results when he isn't using the Sword of Light, there's nothing to say Ranma couldn't. Normally, Gourry is just a swordsman. A powerful and highly skilled swordsman, sure, but nothing all that special really. I'm not saying Lina couldn't demolish him, and any of the big bads would toss him around... but if you look at the Slayers cast itself, most of the characters get tossed around pretty hard whenever the big bads finally show up. And there are a lot of swordsmen/fighters in the show.
Last edited by Shanami on Sun May 01, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun May 01, 2011 8:30 am

Also remember just what the extremes of what Ranma has lived through include. He may be among the weight class of the weakest in that world when Magic starts flying. But that also makes it so it is an environment where Ranma's survival skills can actually be taxed and make him further improve beyond what is possible with the near matching ability opponents back home. Not that it wouldn't make Ranma have to improve in insane ways to actually catch up to the playing field but I think he can do it. And if an author does it right it can be an entertaining journey to that point.

What about Xellos? What will that "Helpful" priest think about or do with someone like Ranma?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Sun May 01, 2011 8:31 am

Spokavriel wrote:
What about Xellos? What will that "Helpful" priest think about or do with someone like Ranma?

Water spells... lots and lots of water spells.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun May 01, 2011 9:54 am

There's also an issue of context. During comical moments, getting hit with spells is usually non-lethal, unless whoever is being hit with it is either unimportant (bandit) or expendable (like that Vrumugun guy). Outside of a serious, "this is the end" kind of battle, yet non-silly, I've even seen a survivor or two of a dragon slave.

I don't know about some of you, but I think Ranma would do no worse than any of the others, which includes Lina herself. Just like with the other characters, the author has to make sure that they don't place him in any sure-kill situations. That's the only key to anyone's survival, really. After all, the all-powerful Lina Inverse is guaranteed to be rather vulnerable for a couple of days every month, and yet she's still alive. Could be luck. Could be favorable circumstances. Could be skill in avoidance. Either way, the author makes it so. Because the author is number one. (A Star Trek reference!?)

At any rate, he'd be fine and do fine. Unless any changes are made in his abilities (like learning magic), he's probably not going to be stealing the spotlight. But if that's the point then you might as well set up a spit for him, because defeating a part of Shabranigdo would be rather unbelievable. At the very least I wouldn't expect him to be any less use than Gourry. Which takes into consideration the sword of light, since ki can also be used to have the same anti-evil/baddie effect that light magic does (see: Shintoism (and perhaps Buddhism, too)). And as soon as he learns what a mazoku's weakness is, he can base his ki attacks accordingly for at least some effect, unless (again) we're talking about a part of Shabranigdo or something.

As far as personalities go, I think he'd fit right in just fine. I don't see him being on any real bad terms with any of the usual party members, but it'd still depend on the circumstances and whatever the author decides to do with him.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Mon May 02, 2011 1:11 pm

I guess it's possible, but it's so hard noone managed it so far. Maybe, if Ranma gets another modern season like Slayers did, there'd be new fans influx wide enough to bring someone talented enough with it...

The problem is, both the series are so over the top it's very challenging to keep the rhythm and pressure along the way without losing steam.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon May 02, 2011 10:56 pm

So for it to have a good shot at happening the person writing needs to be skilled at ratcheting up tension and keeping things over the top without a blowout? So I guess for the author the characters don't really have the chance of being wild cards to make that work...

Maybe we could find someone who made Video Games back in the late 80's early 90's to help with that...
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:38 pm

The problem with not having a blowout is that pretty much every episode and piece of manga for either series ends with a blowout. No Lina going nuts and blowing up some folks is pretty rare.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue May 03, 2011 12:25 pm

When I said blowout I didn't mean explosion. I meant pushing the powers and abilities beyond where you can make believable enemies. Its a situation that made Dragon Ball Z nearly unwatchable for me after the first Death arc. They had repeatedly improved so much it was no longer believable nor enjoyable.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Ideas