Series I can use as source material

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:20 am

@frice2000

There is No Tendo... in which the SGC is against 'evil' senshi from the sailor wars and helping the ones from our solar system.

There is also sort of Ice Squared, where although Pluto dated ONiel at some point in past, they know she is keeping secrets from them.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:54 am

Of course you can drag some up PC, human fanfic search engine, property of Google :). Thanks I'll give those a read. Though one looks megacrossish and I usually wave the white flag four or five chapters in to most megacrosses.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Shanami » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:35 am

Bearing in mind that I like comedy, I recommend the following series that really don't get much crossover time:
Strawberry Panic!
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Miyuki-chan in Wonderland (and other places)
Excel Saga

Though for some reason, you strike me as leaning more towards serious stuff, of which I could see the first two being used for deeply soul-searching Ranma-chan sort of fics. The second two on that list are just so freaking crazy that attempting to use them for anything other than comedic purposes seems like an exercise in futility.

Well, depending on what you are looking for, I've always wanted to see another Strawberry Panic! cross with Ranma. The only one I've ever seen had a good start, but then just kind of cut of. In that same vein, Maria-sama ga miteru I've not seen crossed much with Ranma. Both series would be quite amusing, in my opinion, since they are both stories about Girls academies and I think there could be major humor involved. Particularly with Strawberry Panic, as the etiolle competition + Ranma's competitive drive would lead to some majorly funny moments. They are both very yuri-centric, coming of agey sort of stories.

Along similar lines, I'd love to see Miyuki-chan (in Wonderland is the only anime, but there are a few other Miyuki-chan manga) crossed with the Ranma-verse. Again, it is a very yuri-centric series, but it is also sufficiently "out there" that I think it could lead to some serious humor. To be perfectly honest,I think it would be funniest if it were Akane that was drawn into the Miyuki-chan world, though Ranma himself could cause some serious laughs. In case you don't know it, the closest explanation I've ever heard for Miyuki-chan is what you get when you combine Alice in Wonderland (and all the drugs he had to be on to write it in the first place) with suggestive, almost soft-core Yuri.

And finally, Excel Saga is quite literally the most insane anime I've ever seen when it comes to humor. Spring of drowned Puchuu anyone? Excel Saga really is just insanity, plain and simple.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:50 am

Some other interesting possibilities:

Kämpfer
Cromartie High School
Devilman
Cutie Honey
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:48 am

I'd recommend HoiHoi-San. As far as I know, there are one manga and one short anime. You've heard the expression "everything is better with Daleks?" I think stories can also be improved by heavily-armed miniature robots. The anime, I believe, spells it Hoi Hoi San.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:16 pm

I've considered that one before, but it's so... lacking in content. Perhaps if that single manga volume were translated into English... ;/

Shanami wrote:Though for some reason, you strike me as leaning more towards serious stuff

I do have a tendency to lean toward the dramatic, even though I prefer comedy. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I prefer to write stories that focus in or around Ranma's curse, which usually requires a serious hand. Not Half Bad is probably the only story that I've managed to write with the express intent of making it humorous.

Strawberry Panic!
Maria-sama ga Miteru

I've considered these two before, in addition to Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, but one thing or another prevents me from using them. For Strawberry Panic!, I could probably do it if I simply refreshed my memory and watched it again, in addition to finding and reading the manga. The problem with the other two are fairly similar, in that the anime for Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru is too short and the anime for Maria-sama ga Miteru is a mite bit long. For Maria-sama ga Miteru in particular, there is a lot of information to be known about all of the characters, and the manga isn't completely translated into English while the light novels, of which there are many, is even less so. The Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru manga hasn't been completely translated, either, and is also still ongoing (same as Maria-sama ga Miteru).

Miyuki-chan in Wonderland

As many times as I've encountered this title, I've never watched/read it. I'll have to do so one of these days, like I keep telling myself... <_<;

Excel Saga

I've considered this series before, but I could never figure out what to do with it, except as a part of a mega-crossover where a bunch of redheaded characters get stuck together and try to live with each other while trying to find a way back to where they came from.

Dumbledork wrote:Kämpfer

I've considered this one, but can't use it for the same reason why I can't use Maria-sama ga Miteru. Ignoring the pointless anime, the manga is incompletely translated into English and is still ongoing, and I don't think that anything is being done with the light novels at all.

Cromartie High School

I'm not too sure about this one. I'd have to watch/read it to figure out what I might be able to do with it. Though Beelzebub will probably be more viable, for someone like me.

Devilman

I've only ever watched the two OVAs, and from those I can't say that I'd ever use the series.

Cutie Honey

Like Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, I encounter the title a lot but never get around to watching/reading it. Of course, the initial reason was because I didn't want certain people seeing that I purchased it, for obvious reasons. XD
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:09 pm

Hmmm... considering your listed series, have you considered any of the following:

El Hazard
Dual Parral Trouble Adventure
Happy Lesson, all seasons
Maburaho
Please/Onegai Teacher/Twins
Crest/Banner of the Stars
Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Shanami » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Hmm, how about R.O.D. either tv or die. I've only seen one fic that used it as part of a multicross with Ranma. There's a lot of superhuman stuff that happens in that one that seems like Ranma could easily integrate himself into.

I've got to wonder about Noir, but I feel like making Ranma mesh with that series requires massive departures.

I would suggest Gold Digger, but I feel like you are looking for more obscure things and that one has been used a lot.

Regarding Strawberry Panic... I've at least got to think that the manga was much much better than the anime, if you ever did get back around to it again.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:05 am

R.O.D.? I've only seen a few episodes of it, so I don't know. Sounds like something that I'll have to watch to find out.

I was curious about Noir not too long ago, and even read a fic that crossed Ranma 1/2 with it, but I personally couldn't see myself figuring out how to make a more believable integration.

I knew I was forgetting something... Some story, some day, will have Gold Digger. It's just that it's one of those very linear stories and requires a lot of consideration, and I'd rather not do the opposite of what the crew of the starship Enterprise does.

The problem is that the Strawberry Panic manga is rather meager as a source of information in comparison to the anime, if I remember correctly. In the end, of course, getting Ranma into any of these schools is troublesome, and I only have so many plot devices to use for such a thing... I prefer to not reuse them too much.

PCHeintz72 wrote:Hmmm... considering your listed series, have you considered any of the following:

El Hazard
Dual Parral Trouble Adventure
Happy Lesson, all seasons
Maburaho
Please/Onegai Teacher/Twins
Crest/Banner of the Stars
Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite

Of those, only El Hazard and Maburaho, both of which I've only seen a few episodes of. I recognize most of the other titles, though they never caught my interest. I may look into Happy Lesson, though.

While I've found some uses for harem-themed series, I generally don't like the genre. For instance, I can see a lot of possibilities with To Love-Ru, because of aliens, advanced technology and what some of the characters are capable of doing. With UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie, not so much; and how the whole soul thing worked didn't make any sense to me.

Hmmmm... When I get a chance, I should probably add a list of series I'm considering, both from suggestions and ones that I've thought about but have no definite plans or ideas for (such as Fairy Tail).
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:59 am

Read or Die is hilarious... sadly good fan fiction is lacking.

Hmmm...

There was once a discussion on the old anifics forum about doing a Ranma and Read or Die cross, sadly to my knowledge nothing became of that.

I can tell you Yomiko is Ranma's secretary in the AA thread called 'Divine Blood', but she is not used much.

Her and Ranma also appeared together in a AA thread called 'Bornes and Naples'. Which had Ranma and Nabiki working in a bookstore.

They appeared also in the AA thread called 'Ekusu-Hito'.

Kadunta had a Ranma and Read or Die crossover, where she teaches at Furinkan... called 'Origami Horse'.

Other appearances in Ranma fanfiction include 'Life after Conclusion' by Softrogue, and 'Suikoden One Half' by Madhat886
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:08 am

Alright, then I'll consider R.O.D. I see four manga volumes, and the OVA and TV anime. Does the OVA cover the manga, or follow it?

Now I just need to see if I can find it inexpensive enough. XD
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:39 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:I've considered that one before, but it's so... lacking in content. Perhaps if that single manga volume were translated into English... ;/

But the manga HAS been translated into English! A copy sits on my desk right now. Infinity Studios, ISBN 13 978-1-59697-014-4. It's available on Amazon for under $6 -- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=hoihoi-san&x=16&y=19
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Shanami » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:08 am

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Alright, then I'll consider R.O.D. I see four manga volumes, and the OVA and TV anime. Does the OVA cover the manga, or follow it?

Now I just need to see if I can find it inexpensive enough. XD

Unfortunately, R.O.D., considering all of the incarnations, only ties together passably well. The OVA is very similar to the original Read or Die series, and to the best of my knowledge is set after the anime by a year or so. It mostly discounts Nenene, who was a major character in all the other series (except the Read or Dream manga) and has a new bad guy. If you just want to get a taste for the characters, however, it is a good introduction to all of them, though it makes a hell of a lot more sense if you've seen the anime. Like many OVA though, the connections in some places are rather tenuous.

Considering Read or Dream makes things more complicated, as it is its own isolated series using similar powers (theoretically set in the same world though) until it merges with Read or Die as R.O.D. the tv meshes both Read or Dream and Read or Die directly.

The biggest problem with R.O.D. crosses with Ranma, I think, is trying to find a good place in both series for them to meet. There is a lot of Chinese action in both stories, but figuring out how to balance them might be difficult, depending on where in the R.O.D. continuum you choose to work.

And PC: In C.Rose's Golden Opportunity, Yomiko makes an appearance. While that is primarily a Gold Digger cross, there was a bit of R.O.D. action.
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:07 am

Hrm... If I just got R.O.D. TV, do you think that would be sufficient?

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:But the manga HAS been translated into English! A copy sits on my desk right now. Infinity Studios, ISBN 13 978-1-59697-014-4. It's available on Amazon for under $6 -- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=hoihoi-san&x=16&y=19

Oh, hey. I guess I'll order that in a few days.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 am

OAV is far more compelling in my opinion then the tv series.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Anime / Manga