If Ranma didn't change into a girl/female-something...

Post any fanfiction related polls here

...would you still read the story?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Barring that I have no other reason not to read it, yes.
13%
Barring that I have no other reason not to read it, yes.
13%
Absolutely not! It's just not the same if there isn't a reason for the 1/2 in the title!
15%
Absolutely not! It's just not the same if there isn't a reason for the 1/2 in the title!
15%
Whether I'll read a story will ultimately be decided on what kind of story it is.
23%
Whether I'll read a story will ultimately be decided on what kind of story it is.
23%

Total votes : 40

If Ranma didn't change into a girl/female-something...

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm surprised that there wasn't a poll for this in the past. Well, since the latest incarnation of the forums, at any rate.

Anyway, since Ranma's canon curse is what attracts someone like me (who likes male-to-female sex-change) to the series, I won't read a story if he's no longer cursed, or if his cursed form is not female. I'm just picky like that, I guess.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: If Ranma didn't change into a girl/female-something...

Postby Lioconvoy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:40 pm

I generally don't care for locked stories, and I guess if I came across a story were he doesn't have a female curse, I don't think I'd be interested in it. There was one where he and his dad swapped curses and it wasn't interesting, and also the one where he had a transformer curse, again I didn't like it.

His curse need to be female, and a humanoid female as well. Catgirl, Kitsune, even a female Vulcan are all acceptable, but not simply a female dog or cat.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:26 am

I prefer reading a story with a cursed Ranma but if there is a valid reason for the curse to not be present and the author shows skill in writing the story I'll definitely read it. Though the skill level of a story with Ranma with no curse has to be higher then one with a curse to keep my interest simply because to me that's the most unique element of Ranma canon in the first place. So...voted for option 1.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:31 am

I went for option three, because it is the general nature of the story that determines whether I am interested in reading it. In order for me to enjoy it as a Ranma story or Ranma cross, though, I have higher standards for characterization if the curse gets removed. If you get rid of one of the core elements of a series, you really need to use the other elements better to make up for it. As for what curse he gets, I prefer female forms that can at least pass for human, or if it is a reversal story, a female Ranma with a male curse. Whatever his curse is, it should be embarassing and/or inconvenient for him, not a power up just so you can god-mode him(Veela one-half has enough downsides to balance the power up aspects).
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby TerraEpon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Isn't 1 and 3 really the same?
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:50 pm

frice2000 wrote:I prefer reading a story with a cursed Ranma but if there is a valid reason for the curse to not be present and the author shows skill in writing the story I'll definitely read it. Though the skill level of a story with Ranma with no curse has to be higher then one with a curse to keep my interest simply because to me that's the most unique element of Ranma canon in the first place. So...voted for option 1.

Same here.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:19 pm

TerraEpon wrote:Isn't 1 and 3 really the same?

One puts the factor of his curse (or lack of it, rather) in the spotlight, and the other doesn't. Basically, the person who says "yes" will think that Ranma's curse is a very important aspect of the story, and they'll weigh its absence against everything else to see if they'll still read it. If everything else checks out, they will. Someone who says "no," like me, will simply turn down the story flat, most likely without considering everything else. The last person will consider everything fairly evenly, or won't think that Ranma's curse will make or break their decision, and make their choice that way.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:31 am

I'd say the setting might also play a large role in whether or not I'd want to read stories where Ranma's not cursed from the start - most of that type of story that I've been seeing in recent years just waves goodbye to the Ranma universe and all characters in it, and sticks him in a different storyline/series/whatever.

...and then he quickly becomes Not-Ranma, or Uber-God-Ranma, etc.

As to whether or not he's still interesting after breaking or being cured of the curse, I haven't really thought about it. :P

I'd have to say that quite a bit of the time, when I see authors give Ranma a different curse, it's usually very much to Ranma's advantage, and he's often remarkably happy with the curse. Not that all of the authors who give Ranma a different curse do that, but the ones who do have also become quite a bit more common.
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:32 am

A cure is a lock IMO. I don't like locks. Avoiding the curse in the first place there is no reason for the character to behave like Ranma. So even if they have a cannon personality portrayal it feels off to me and usually keeps me from enjoying the story. Even when the curse is kept allot of the setting changes end up making Ranma an OC that just happens to have the same names for attacks. Some times not even having the attacks have the cannon Ranma results. Ranma causing an earth quake from using chestnut fist on the ground comes to mind. ::shudder::
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:17 am

I've always been of the general take on this that if I like the content, I read it, if not, I do not.

Type of story, or lock/not lock, or curse/not curse does not overly enter into it.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:24 pm

I never was into, or aware of, male/female transformations prior to my introduction to Ranma. So I have to say yes, however the thing that was the original catch was the character of Ranma, what the curse is had little effect getting my interest. That said I still hold my position now that with lock/no curse fics it really isn't Ranma since he has the curse in Canon.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Shanami » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:10 am

Wyrd wrote:I went for option three, because it is the general nature of the story that determines whether I am interested in reading it. In order for me to enjoy it as a Ranma story or Ranma cross, though, I have higher standards for characterization if the curse gets removed. If you get rid of one of the core elements of a series, you really need to use the other elements better to make up for it. As for what curse he gets, I prefer female forms that can at least pass for human, or if it is a reversal story, a female Ranma with a male curse. Whatever his curse is, it should be embarassing and/or inconvenient for him, not a power up just so you can god-mode him(Veela one-half has enough downsides to balance the power up aspects).

^^ Exactly.

I have read and enjoyed stories across the spectrum with regard to Ranma, but as a general rule, if it is a story that doesn't involve the curse at all, there needs to be a serious hook to keep me into it. This is particularly true for stories that fall into a purely Ranma universe, as I feel that crossovers do often leave a good bit more leeway (whatever side of the story the author emphasizes is more important to me, so in say a SM cross, if all of the plot is taking place within the SM continuum, how that is handled is more important in my mind than the Ranma elements of the story). That said, I generally prefer cursed Ranma, as in a Ranma with an active curse, as it is the crux of the series.

I find I have a lot more tolerance for stories where he starts out cursed and it is either cured or locked in some way, though those generally lose my interest unless well thought out, than stories where he was never cursed. Of the latter, I can think of *very* few that I liked.

Realistically, Ranma just isn't Ranma without the curse playing a role in his life somehow and at some point. And more importantly, how the author handles any changes in his status (from half and half, to either side of the gender divide, to futa even if I don't actually recall seeing any futa Ranma stories) is a critical element of pure Ranma fiction. And it not being a gender based curse really changes things and makes stories that much harder to get into for me. That said, him having diverse and crazy curses can definitely work if one is aiming at a humorous story. It depends on how seriously the story is taking itself for sure. If it was funny enough, I'd read pretty much anything, though that might just be me.

I make a major, personal exception to all rules for comedy. I don't really care how OC or crazy something gets if it can make me laugh.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:49 am

to futa even if I don't actually recall seeing any futa Ranma stories

I've seen a couple-- all really poorly done lemons that I didn't finish reading.

I make a major, personal exception to all rules for comedy. I don't really care how OC or crazy something gets if it can make me laugh.

I agree that a comedy fic, especially one that doesn't take itself seriously, can bend or break a lot of what I otherwise like in a story and still catch my interest. Parodies often twist the original so that it is barely recognizable, but holds just enough of the original to keep it funny.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:06 pm

mykon1 has an interesting Futa!Ranma story at mediaminer called 'Futanari Ranma'. I won't post the link here for obvious reasons but you can find it on the first page in the Ranma section.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Polls