Osaka Naru: baddie magnet?

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Re: Osaka Naru: baddie magnet?

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Pusakuronu wrote:Sailor Moon didn't know anything about Metallia's weak spot in the anime either, and the blast worked just fine. There's really no reason to mix continuities just to complicate things.

Also, in the anime, the youma do exist before being summoned, since we see them fill Beryl's throne room.

I explicitly state that I'm talking about another continuity, so I can't be mixing them. Besides which, it makes no sense to talk about one continuity when it is not the only one that can be examined for answers. Now, had I used it to argue against the anime continuity, then you would have been right. However, the whole point of my post was in drawing a distinction between the anime and the manga continuities, in part because it makes no sense to ignore one over the other on a purely logical, information-based basis. I understand that people like one better than the other, or know more about one of them than the other, but that's no reason for exclusion.

Speaking of which, I wonder which typical plot device is worse: the one in the anime, where Usagi is conveniently stronger than her mother; or the one in the manga, where Metallia has an obvious weak point?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Pusakuronu » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Speaking of which, I wonder which typical plot device is worse: the one in the anime, where Usagi is conveniently stronger than her mother; or the one in the manga, where Metallia has an obvious weak point?

I'd say the obvious weak point is worse.

In the anime, it's at least possible to assume that Usagi isn't stronger than her mother, but simply facing a weakened version of Metallia. After all, she said she needed the silver crystal to fully reawaken, and didn't get it. She probably wasn't at her best during the battle.
Pusakuronu
Senshi Candidate

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:24 pm

There is that. Although she still had enough power to raise the senshi from the dead... Unless that doesn't require a lot of power to do, like one would normally expect. Or something. So confusing...

Oh, and while I prefer the manga overall, I think the obvious weak point is worse, too. It's kinda dumb, though I can understand it if it's the equivalent of a mammal's neck. What makes it so bad is that it doesn't seem to exist to function as anything but a weak point. At the very least such things usually have some purpose that they're used for, and need to be protected from attack to prevent debilitating or lethal backlash/blowback.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Usagi being stronger than her mother is easy to explain: She was stronger in the same way that she was stronger than her future self in the manga version of StarS. To put it simply, she was young, fresh, and idealistic, which kept her pure and focused enough to draw more power from the crystal/generate more power with it than a matriarch who had been dealing with being a queen, and all the bleep that went with it, for over a millennium. Usagi's future self traveled back to find the strength to fight Chaos again because she had forgotten why she was so certain the galaxy was worth saving, and Chaos was regularly reborn as the galaxy naturally became unbalanced. That future self had seen too much darkness and needed to be reminded of her faith in light.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Wyrd wrote:Usagi being stronger than her mother is easy to explain: She was stronger in the same way that she was stronger than her future self in the manga version of StarS. To put it simply, she was young, fresh, and idealistic, which kept her pure and focused enough to draw more power from the crystal/generate more power with it than a matriarch who had been dealing with being a queen, and all the bleep that went with it, for over a millennium. Usagi's future self traveled back to find the strength to fight Chaos again because she had forgotten why she was so certain the galaxy was worth saving, and Chaos was regularly reborn as the galaxy naturally became unbalanced. That future self had seen too much darkness and needed to be reminded of her faith in light.

When do we see Usagi's future self in StarS?

I always figured Usagi was in fact facing weakened enemies then say Selene had to face. I seem to recall something like that being stated in the anime.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 pm

In the manga, chibi-chibi is Usagi's future self. Yes, this is different from the anime, thus why I specified that I was talking about the manga.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:30 am

Wyrd wrote:In the manga, chibi-chibi is Usagi's future self. Yes, this is different from the anime, thus why I specified that I was talking about the manga.

Doesn't bad/weird stuff happen if you meet/touch your future/past self in the manga, and nothing happened when Sailor Moon touched Chibi-Chibi?

Don't we just have Chibi-Chibi's word she is Usagi's future self, and no proof anything she says is true?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Zwzn wrote:Doesn't bad/weird stuff happen if you meet/touch your future/past self in the manga, and nothing happened when Sailor Moon touched Chibi-Chibi?

Don't we just have Chibi-Chibi's word she is Usagi's future self, and no proof anything she says is true?

The several thousand years after the first time her future and past selves met could have provided a buffer by itself just by it being such a long time, or she may have developed knowledge of temporal mechanics or mastery over the ginzuishou that let her bend those rules. She wasn't lacking skill, she was lacking the drive and emotional certainty necessary to do the job.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:43 pm

Zwzn wrote:Doesn't bad/weird stuff happen if you meet/touch your future/past self in the manga, and nothing happened when Sailor Moon touched Chibi-Chibi?

Wyrd wrote:The several thousand years after the first time her future and past selves met could have provided a buffer by itself just by it being such a long time, or she may have developed knowledge of temporal mechanics or mastery over the ginzuishou that let her bend those rules. She wasn't lacking skill, she was lacking the drive and emotional certainty necessary to do the job.

Having mastery over the ginzuishou should not help since it does not have temporal powers. Time and Space are the domain of the gates of time.

Having the ginzuishou does not show Chibi-Chibi is Usagi since the ginzuishou is a separate entity from Usagi. It can seemingly be taken and used by anyone, and most certainly predates all records of Princess Serenity/Usagi/Sailor Moon.

For all we know Chibi-Chibi was Chaos's future self, or an unknown enemy.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Sat May 14, 2011 5:47 pm

I once read that the universe is bigger and badder than any magical girl can ever be, and if they try to bend the rules too much the universe will squash them like bugs.

Tell that to Madoka Kaname.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Akuma-sama » Sat May 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Pale Wolf wrote:
Tell that to Madoka Kaname.

I'm in ur universe, trollin ur incubators
[20:42] <@DCG> My spam folder seem to think i need a biger dick, biger boobs, and a new watch.
[20:42] <@DCG> wtf would i need a new watch for?

As good as permanent inhabitant of the #fukufics chatroom.
Kick my ass, recieve chapter. Eventually. Maybe.
Akuma-sama
Senshi Cadet

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Sat May 21, 2011 11:47 pm

That silver plot crystal is like an instant win card. Whoever has it, wins.

Or maybe the Crystal is actually an Eldrich horror itself.

It has the power to bend space and time, but it hungers for souls. So what it does is rather a brilliant move for a hungry eldrich horror. It just sits around, allowing mortals to request things from it. Great, powerful, spacetime bending things. In exchange, it gobbles up a little soul, and burps out awesome. The fact that it is known as an artifact of power guarantees that every damn greedy mortal entity in the known universe comes looking for it. AKA: Free Food.

Sounds a bit like another eldrich artifact I know.

Soul Edge.

...OH SHI-
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Previous

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon