Story Challanges!

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

Re: Story Challanges!

Postby Tovath » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Nekomata-sensei could you please learn to be more concise.
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:54 pm

:oops: I'll try. I have to admit, part of my problem with writing my own fanfiction is that I have trouble with being concise, my writing tends to lean towards a flow of thoughts or a verbal lecture or argument than normal storytelling, often resulting in giant paragraphs and over sized sentences. Thanks for reminding me, because it is something I've been working on but sometimes forget. :oops:
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:11 pm

I wish I knew a way to help. After all that last paragraph could have been two sentences.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Atlan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:05 pm

As we know from one of the later Ranma Manga stories (the last one featuring Pantyhose Taro), an inanimate object can drown in Jusenko, and curse a pool.

Jusenko. Home of cursed pools. Each pool has it's own tragic story.

One day, the Jusenko guide was taking care of daily mantaince on the pools- dregding out leaves, carcases, and keeping the signs hidded via carefully styled grass. And as he did this, he tried to keep one eye on his daughter, Plum.

Plum was a small girl, barely five years old. Her father took her to play with the Amazon girls as often as he could, but not often- and he felt guilty about this.

As a result of this guilt, he had gotten into the habit of ordering her toys- lots of toys. If it was from a show she liked (or he liked)- or just caught her eye, he'd buy it for her. Plum's toybox was one of the best stocked toyboxes in the northen hemisphere.

On this particular day, Plum was playing happily with her toys, near the springs. For some reason, neither the guide nor his family ever fell into a curssed pool.

"Plum! Lunch time!" the guide called out.

Plum stood quickly, and in her haste knocked her toybox over. By one of those strange, imposible-to-explain-by-the-laws-of-physics incidents that Jusenko seemed to cause, the toybox rolled along the ground, into a pool.

Plum burst into tears. The guide could only wince. How tragic.

Some years later:
Ranma jumped from a bamboo pole, and tackeled his father, knocking them both into one of the pools.

"Oh no! Honoured customers have fallen into Pool of Drowned Plums Toybox!" The guide shouted. "Now, whoever fall into spring, take form of one of Plum's toys!"

Challenge: Ranma and Genma both cursed to become a cartoon/anime/video game/television/manga character. (Ryoga, Shampoo and Mousse are optional)

Whatever Ranma turns into must be female, and at least humanoid (preferably human)

Genma must stay male, but turn into something not even remotly humanoid (prefrebaly an animal of some sort).

The curses do NOT take over their personalitys, but may influence them. (ie: if Ranma becomes sailor moon, he will still know he's a guy and that his name is Ranma, but will feel the urge to cry and make long, embarasing speaches and pose a lot)
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Atlan wrote:As we know from one of the later Ranma Manga stories (the last one featuring Pantyhose Taro), an inanimate object can drown in Jusenko, and curse a pool.

I assume you're talking about Rouge, there's absolutely no indication that it was a statue that fell into the pool, only fans thinking that it was. By very nature of "drowning" the idea that it is a statue is negated.

And there is a story out there where Ranma has a 'multi-curse' based on various anime figures by Largo.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5041967/1/Ranma_One_of_Six
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:23 am

Crazy Awesome Meeting

Challenge: Write a fic where these characters somehow meet together all at once in the same room, and the crazy awesomeness that causes, not to mention the chaos the multiverse is facing to make this meeting possible in the first place:

Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Kasuga "Osaka" Ayumu (Azumanga Daioh)
Aino Minako (Sailor Moon)
Ichijo (Pani Poni Dash)
Mutsume Otohime (Love Hina)
Deadpool (Marvel Comics)
Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass)
Kuramitsu Mihoshi (Tenchi Muyo)
Kamina (Guren Lagann)
Jack Rakan (Mahou Sensei Negima!)
Siegfried (Kenichi, the Mightiest Disciple)
River Tam (Firefly)
Minsc (Baulder's Gate)
Orihime (BLEACH)
A Harpell wizard (from the Drizzt Forgotten Realms books)
Largo (Megatokyo)
Starfire (Teen Titans)
Ed (Cowboy Beebop)

Oh, and it's Mihoshi's fault. :mrgreen: :twisted:
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby bissek » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:54 am

Inspector Dreyfus once said "Give me ten men like Closeau, and I could destroy the world!". There are 18 names on that list.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Send Voldemort&co. hunting for The Royal-hued Dark Lord's Instrument of Immortality.

Writer's clue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorZcOzNcgE
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:25 pm

LawOhki wrote:I assume you're talking about Rouge, there's absolutely no indication that it was a statue that fell into the pool, only fans thinking that it was. By very nature of "drowning" the idea that it is a statue is negated.

And there is a story out there where Ranma has a 'multi-curse' based on various anime figures by Largo.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5041967/1/Ranma_One_of_Six

From what I've been told, the word translates just as well as 'immersed.' This is why Akane could survive having a pool of Akane created. It is thus theoretically possible that any object with a coherent enough form could provide a template for a pool, should you desire to do so in a fic. I don't recall the scene with the Asura going into the pool, so I cannot say whether that event supports the submeging of statues as a source for curse templates.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby LawOhki » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:11 am

Wyrd wrote:From what I've been told, the word translates just as well as 'immersed.' This is why Akane could survive having a pool of Akane created. It is thus theoretically possible that any object with a coherent enough form could provide a template for a pool, should you desire to do so in a fic. I don't recall the scene with the Asura going into the pool, so I cannot say whether that event supports the submeging of statues as a source for curse templates.

It doesn't. It specifically uses the character for drown. The scene is in the second book of volume 32 and not even in the ranmascan version is there any indication that it is a statue.

Drown - 溺 (used for every spring name)
Immerse (in water) - 沈
(Quick kanji search for immerse, I'm sure in some rare context the drown one might mean immerse since it can mean indulge/addicted.)

As for Akane, she should wear water wings while eating a bowl of soup. She drowned in the spring and that's why it imprinted on her. They are the pools of sorrow, not the pools of "if you take a bath here people will turn into you later."
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:32 am

Eh, as I said, "I've been told." This is completely outside my expertise to weigh in on the actual translation. Not every pool would have to have a tragic story for the place to become known as the pools of sorrow, especially if Jusenkyo picks out your curse based on what it thinks best fits you or is the best punishment for you. The curses could be the sorrow, not their origin.

As to the guide talking about the tragic legends of the pools, tour guides everywhere do that. If they don't spice things up a bit, they lose tourists and don't get as good tips.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Too bad no one ever really reads this thread.

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:49 pm

Please read the fic Onion Tears and then write a story that takes into account all the Fianceés and and Rivals. Maybe if you can find a way to make it work get all of them to cut an onion added to say a stew pot or other dish so that all of them prepared the onions.

I don't know if the original author meant it to be used this way but here is how I see it. The Emotions of the person who cuts the onion gets shared to everyone who eats it. I think if Tears fall into the onions it lasts longer. If someone nicks their finger and gets blood and tears into it I think it might risk becoming a permanent empathy.

Feel free to take it as far as you want using the onions but the more Rivals and Fianceés that partake of the meal that gets made the better. What I really want to see from this is the reactions of each of the characters after having clear knowledge they can't ignore of exactly how the others in the situation feel. I could even see it making the Kuno siblings sane.

So anyone want to give it a shot?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous