FF.net deleted my scene breaks!

Where stuff about fanfiction that doesn't fit into any other category goes. Try to make sure that new topics here actually couldn't actually go somewhere else.

FF.net deleted my scene breaks!

Postby Konsaki » Mon May 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Just got a Review on FPCF stating that the story is good but was hard to read without anything separating the scenes. I know I put in the '--' for scene breaks, so I check FF.net and all the '--' have been removed! Gah! Now I have to go through all my stories and put something else in for the scene breaks.
I've seen other works with 0123456789876543210 for breaks, so I think I'll follow suit... that is, unless you guys can think of something better. :|
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Re: FF.net deleted my scene breaks!

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Konsaki wrote:Just got a Review on FPCF stating that the story is good but was hard to read without anything separating the scenes. I know I put in the '--' for scene breaks, so I check FF.net and all the '--' have been removed! Gah! Now I have to go through all my stories and put something else in for the scene breaks.
I've seen other works with 0123456789876543210 for breaks, so I think I'll follow suit... that is, unless you guys can think of something better. :|

They did something with the story display interpreter... someone, I think it was Dartz, compleined of the exact same thing happening to his own story about 1 1/2 or 2 days ago.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Mon May 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Figured it was something to do with the coding... annoying as hell, though. :?

Anyways, in retrospect, I decided to shorten my scene changes to 0123456789. The 8-0 back down just added too much and it seemed like an eyesore. Probably finish up tomorrow morning before heading to work.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Makoto » Mon May 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Actually, I've been hearing that complaint for quite a while (that the interpreter eats scene breaks, web addresses, certain symbols (such as the percent sign, which probably shouldn't be used, but some authors do - which leads to text like "70 efficiency."), etc.)

That's why I had to spend some time changing all the scene breaks in the story I uploaded to horizontal rules. I still wasn't happy with all the reformatting done, though - I was going to set it so it didn't insert blank lines in all my paragraphs, but it didn't look good due to the fact that I have no idea whatsoever if you can actually have paragraph indents... :roll:

I guess I can live with it, though. Maybe. :oops:
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sky » Mon May 03, 2010 11:07 pm

This has been happening for years, as far as I remember - 2006 or so. Maybe earlier.

I've always had to put scene breaks back.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:13 pm

No.... every now and then they retweak it, and then some stories break.

I actually approve of the no hyperlinks and web addresses within stories.

And the got rid of same character breaks due to people posting spam stories with nothing but those characters.

But, I can also understand author fustration... those that try to play by the rules, go the extra mile to format their stories to meet their limitations, and successfuly post them, only to later have that work ruined.

And what of stories where the authors are gone, and thus they are not corrected when this occurs.... there are stories that have been mangled over the years because of this, and remain uncorrected due to author having moved on 2-5-8 or more years ago.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue May 04, 2010 7:17 am

I've had good luck with oOo centered. (that's oh-OH-oh). I just checked, and they're still there. I think FFNet automatically stomps on instances of three or more of the same character in a row. Not only do you have trouble getting % through, you have trouble with the zeros if you write, say, 1,000,000.

They're a bit exciteable over there, but spelling things out usually works.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Tue May 04, 2010 11:26 am

FF.net has functional line-breaks.

Use those by going into the EDIT function after uploading a document, place the cursor where you're breaking, and insert the break.

It won't take too long. And don't whine to me about doing it, I had to stop and repair a 200,000 word story.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Tue May 04, 2010 8:29 pm

AdmiralTigerclaw wrote:And don't whine to me about doing it, I had to stop and repair a 200,000 word story.
The stories I have to repair also amount to 200k words, so I guess I can feel justified in complaining then.
Really, it's an annoyance to me to have to replace the breaks, but I'm more annoyed at the fact that it makes it hard on new readers to get into my stories without the scene breaks. Having read through good stories myself but put off by the bad formating, I can sympathize with the readers.

Ellen wrote:I've had good luck with oOo centered.
I think I might use this as it's close to what I used originally. It's small but centered in the screen so the eyes can easily see the blank area on the far left which separates the sections. Thanks for bringing this option up, Ellen.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue May 04, 2010 8:35 pm

No matter how much anyone ever feels "I had to suffer this and I didn't wine" that never means it makes it so others should not have the ability to vent frustrations. You could have too. You chose not to and thats good if you didn't need to but if others need to vent why showcase your problems and claim they shouldn't?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby claymade » Tue May 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Fought this for a while, years ago--kept trying to get it to accept my asterisk rows through increasingly arcane maneuverings to circumvent the filter... but sooner or later, it always ended up getting caught by a stricter, later implementation of said filter, with the same result.

Eventually, I too just decided to go with FF.net's suggested horizontal rule to split scenes. Even if I could get the non-standard ones working for the moment, I didn't want them to get hacked out by some later change, when I might not even realize it had happened.

I used to mind the way the HRs looked... but nowadays I've got pretty used to them, actually. And haven't had to worry about them disappearing.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue May 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Thing is there was a thread similar to this one about a year and a half ago in Other Talk where people who were using the site horizontal rule had all of them deleted from their story that had been on the site since 2002 or 3. So even using what they provide is not a guaranty that the breaks will remain.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed May 05, 2010 3:47 am

I constantly improve on my story compiler software to generate working ffnet versions (in addition to the main version I post on my home page).
It now replaces all "%" with "percent", "=" with "equals" and the asterisks disappear making the text they frame bold.

Luckily, I've been already using a dedicated formatting directive to insert separators (a graphical thingie and all) so I just added a rule to insert "<br>" there for the ffnet version.
Still, the one who wrote that filter is a jerk-ass. That's saying it mildly.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed May 05, 2010 10:39 am

Does it work to just use a space to separate scenes? Because I prefer to have my paragraphs together but indented.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed May 05, 2010 10:50 am

I've seen it remove start of paragraph indents so many times its not even funny.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Miscellaneous