Post Count Vs Senshi Ranks tweak

Got a suggestion for the site? Put it here

What do you think? (Please read post before voting.)

Keep the Current Rank system.
25%
Keep the Current Rank system.
25%
This progression looks like a good change.
8%
This progression looks like a good change.
8%
I don't care either way.
17%
I don't care either way.
17%

Total votes : 24

Post Count Vs Senshi Ranks tweak

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Now that I am on the cusp to the final run of board post count ranks I can't help looking how it is a steady 20,000 post increase for each of those higher ranks and feel its kinda lame. So I wish to propose some minor changes to mostly the ranks that no one has yet. That way there is still a greater increase in post count to gain the higher level than it was to get the prior one.

Code: Select all
  Current      What I propose
        1         1 Initiate
       10        10 Senshi Candidate
       45        45 Senshi Cadet
      200       200 Chibi Sailor Senshi
      500       500 Asteroid Senshi
    1,000     1,000 Moon Senshi
    2,000     2,000 Prisim Power Senshi
    4,000     3,500 Crystal Power Senshi
    6,000     6,000 Cosmic Power Senshi
   10,000    10,000 Crisis Power Senshi
   20,000    20,000 Super Power Senshi
   40,000    40,000 Eternal Power Senshi
   60,000    70,000 Moon Princess
   80,000   120,000 Moon Queen
  100,000   200,000 Empress of the Moon

The only level anyone currently has that I changed is Crystal Power Senshi. Because at that point and the entire higher end of ranks you ended up with a same amount of increase instead of having to go further for the greater goal.

At least this isn't as nuts as my initial progression idea which would have been a 1,2,5,10,20,50 style progression that would have left Moon Queen at a 500,000 post count... I just don't think having the same amount of gain per level really gives the level as much value.

So is this Minor tweak ok or are things perfectly fine for everyone else as they are?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Post Count Vs Senshi Ranks tweak

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:45 am

Spokavriel wrote:So is this Minor tweak ok or are things perfectly fine for everyone else as they are?

Meh. It'll be a long time before the difference affects me, and it tilts the progressions a bit more towards the logarithmic. I can live with it.

Somebody mentioned having different "new posts" functions for Spamville, and for the rest of the site. It might make more sense to separate posts into spam and otherwise for Senshi rank as well. Because the way the posts are coming, it looks much more likely for people to become Crystal Senshi Queen of the Spam Moon, than Senshi-in-waiting for the Other Moon.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Won't affect me either in a skrillion years, but how about using a fixed ratio, once one's above Initiate, f.ex. the 13th root of 20.000? I think it'd still make an Empress at 200K posts - unless I'm sleepier than I think.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:45 am

Larry said if once a lot of people got the top rank then he'd think change the system again, but right now the chart seem more obtainable than what you propose. Even you still have some ways before you get the top rank. The whole point of the change was because a lot of people were becoming stagnent at the topic rank.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:13 am

Considering that it already takes a certain length of time to reach the top---namely, eternity---I'd rather things stayed the way they were, anyhow.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:26 am

If we end up with allot of people at the top again then doing a minor tweak so that there is a greater requirement for each subsequent level with the change I proposed wouldn't really do much more than return some but not many of them to Moon Princess or Queen.

I might as well be proposing something like this.

1    Initiate
       20    Senshi Candidate
       50    Senshi Cadet
      100    Chibi Sailor Senshi
      200    Asteroid Senshi
      500    Moon Senshi
    1,000    Prisim Power Senshi
    2,000    Crystal Power Senshi
    5,000    Cosmic Power Senshi
   10,000    Crisis Power Senshi
   20,000    Super Power Senshi
   50,000    Eternal Power Senshi
  100,000    Moon Princess
  200,000    Moon Queen
  500,000    Empress of the Moon
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:20 pm

Blossom you have 66756(at the time of this post) post till you reach the top spot, you won't be getting their rapidly. It will be quite some time before we get a bunch of people up there. It will be even longer before someone joins you up there. At this time there is no need for changing the requirements, I think it will be year before it is.

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:42 pm

The problem is that it becomes repeats of the same amount of progress in places now. What kind of reward is a higher level if it only takes the same effort already given to accomplish?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Then why bother with post counts at all? :P

As I see it, if it has taken about a year for the most prolific poster (Spokie) to get around 15,000 posts, then the current post count title thresholds will work for several years. Even if said prolific poster reaches it sooner, having one person with the highest title doesn't make it obsolete. After all, the current changes were inspired by how low the thresholds were before, when someone could make a thousand posts within a week. So, its current state serves its purpose. And there probably won't be too many people with the highest post count title for years to come, if ever. It might just last until the site dies. Who knows?

Also: is it a reward? Really? I don't consider all the posts that I make in Spamville to be an accomplishment.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:56 pm

So because the numbers are high no one seems to care that the higher levels, no one has yet, after a point are evenly spaced after the same amount of additional posts?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Heh... a similar arguement took place some time back on TFF. And in fact, on the new Anifics in just the last several days, there have been discussions on how to do post counting and ranking.

To be honest... I fail to see the issue.

I go to a forum to post. To contribute in some small way. To discuss. To be part of a group that has similar interests... Not for ranks, not for privilages, not for glory, and not for recognition. Anyone posting for those reasons, or making a serious deal out of it, has I think missed the point.

I am not in competition with anyone on any forum I go to, and while I am near the top on a couple forums I go to, at none am I actually at the top (in top 10 at TFF and when last checked BYTM as well).

I'm not even certain at this immediate point how many posts I have here. Not because I cannot find out, but because I do not bother myself with it.

If you want to change the ranks go ahead, I am likely to be fine with nearly any system set up.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:32 pm

Why does it matter if it's the same amount between each rank or not?

Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:16 am

Spokavriel wrote: So because the numbers are high no one seems to care that the higher levels, no one has yet, after a point are evenly spaced after the same amount of additional posts?

Nope. Don't care. Creating more space will do nothing more than make it more difficult (and, in my opinion, too difficult) for anyone to reach the higher tier in any reasonable amount of time. In which case, having those higher titles would simply go to waste. And, if I understand the reason for their existence correctly, they're meant to be attainable, not to sit there and gather dust for most people.

I find it pointless to make the ranks too high to accommodate a small group of people from Spamville, because it would spit in the face of those who make productive posts elsewhere. In fact, if I had to recommend anything, since there are people who care about their post count, I'd say to make it so that posts in Spamville don't add to the post count. And then find out how many posts some people have (from those who frequent(ed) Spamville) outside of Spamville, add up the post count from those forums (I have 355 posts in Ranma, and 80 posts in Sailor Moon, for instance), and set their post count thusly, cutting away the posts that must have come from Spamville. That way we wouldn't need to the highest rank at 100,000, much less 200,000, and having such a ranking system in the first place would make more sense.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby AshK1980 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:02 am

I think the current progression works quite well for the time being. It also looks like it will work quite well for a long time to come. I chose the first option.
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:14 am

Current Max Repeat Overkill Proposed   I Like
            1       1         1         1        1    Initiate
           10      10        20        10       10    Senshi Candidate
           45      50        50        45       50    Senshi Cadet
          200     200       100       200      200    Chibi Sailor Senshi
          500     500       200       500      500    Asteroid Senshi
        1,000   1,000       500     1,000    1,000    Moon Senshi
        2,000   1,500     1,000     2,000    1,600    Prisim Power Senshi
        4,000   2,000     2,000     3,500    2,300    Crystal Power Senshi
        6,000   2,500     5,000     6,000    3,100    Cosmic Power Senshi
       10,000   3,000    10,000    10,000    4,000    Crisis Power Senshi
       20,000   3,500    20,000    20,000    5,000    Super Power Senshi
       40,000   4,000    50,000    40,000    6,100    Eternal Power Senshi
       60,000   4,500   100,000    70,000    7,300    Moon Princess
       80,000   5,000   200,000   120,000    8,600    Moon Queen
      100,000   5,500   500,000   200,000   10,000    Empress of the Moon

Maybe this will show my point a little clearer. I don't care how high or how low things are I just like it better when there is a larger gap to gain successive levels. Because somehow in my mind that makes it a greater achievement than a repeat of a previous amount of gain between levels. Even if the last few levels got changed to 3,500 Eternal, 5,500 Princess, 8,000 Queen, 11,000 Empress I would like it better than what there is now because then there would be a progression to the increase.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Site Suggestions