Good Harry Potter fics with Time/dimension travel

Do not request fics that a simple search engine lookup can find. Follow the rule when naming threads

Good Harry Potter fics with Time/dimension travel

Postby Metroidvania » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:25 pm

Right. First off, I know there are a ton of these, but continue reading, please.

....I just finished reading A stranger in an unholy land, which I stumbled upon from some other author's link, and the AU potter family was, IMO, quite...refreshing to read.

However, when I went to the HP ff.net page, clicked over 100,00 words, and Harry Potter...the first 3 results were Harry and Severus fics, of which all 3 summaries made me try and claw out my eyes with a rusty spoon.

After deleting all my internet history and defragging my hard drive, I decided to ask if any of you have any "good" Time travel / Dimension warp.

I'm being objective here with the "good," but my only other qualification is unless it's amazing, I've read most of the AU's with Harry being second child and neglected just as bad or worse than the Dursley's, but if it's amazing, I'll give it a shot.

Oh, and no slash, please.

Thanks much for your time.

EDIT: It doesn't have to have any sort of Potter family necessarily, but it would be a bonus.
Last edited by Metroidvania on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:39 pm

So you are looking for AU Harry? I can't remember the title but I will look for this one I remember where Harry was rescued and Raised by Ranma.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Spokavriel wrote: So you are looking for AU Harry? I can't remember the title but I will look for this one I remember where Harry was rescued and Raised by Ranma.

Preferably just Harry Potter only fics.

I just used AU for Lily, James, other siblings, etc, as a placeholder for lack of a better term.

Actually, any "good" time travel/dimension hop is good, it doesn't have to be family oriented.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 pm

I know of three HP time travel fics that are any good.

The first is Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Future's Past, which is your typical "go back and do it again" type of time travel fic and is easily one of the best fics of any genre or fandom that I've ever read. There's also Backward with Purpose, which I've only gotten started on but seems to have a good deal of promise to it.

Last is 'Out of Time', another take on do-over fics with a few twists to it, chief among those being the main character; it's Hermoine, not Harry, and it's told from the perspective of a Hermoine who's receiving cryptic memories from her future self instead of one who's actually gone back in time. Unfortunately FF.net's search engine seems to have crapped out on me so you'll have to search for the link yourself.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Battlekrome » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:53 pm

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2857962/1/B ... Green_Eyes

is technically a time travel fic
(and a HP/Firefly cross )

which while it doesn't match your exact criteria but is a darn nice read...
Through the sands of time I walk. Beyond time and space i call to those who awaken to the darkness and realize they are the light.
Battlekrome
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby LiliandraNadiar » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:32 am

Respectfully, I'd have to disagree on Browncoat Green Eyes. I tried the first few chapters and had to stop. 'Harry Potter' is nothing like either the series character or following any (that I saw) of the world rules from Rowlings. But the major nail in the coffin was that 'Harry' was almost a perfect Marty Stu. :/

One I did find and have been liking so far is The Time Meddlers which is more a AU/Reset mix in having the Deathly Hollows go terriblly wrong for Harry from the start.
When in danger, or in doubt;
Run in circles, scream and shout
LiliandraNadiar
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:43 am

Glad I asked about that fic then. It helped make it clear what you were looking for and sadly I don't know any links that could help.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby stratagemini » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:34 am

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4354353/1/H ... and_of_Uru

it's very much like strangers in an unholy land in terms of setup. in that Harry's back in time in an AU of home.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Return to Fic Search