Ranma/Hotaru...

Do not request fics that a simple search engine lookup can find. Follow the rule when naming threads

Ranma/Hotaru...

Postby Andy2kk » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:43 pm

I've just read bits of Destiny's Child again getting some different styles of writing points and decided I wanted to read some Ramna/Hotaru 'ship fic. Them without the other Senshi jumping in, cause fics with her and one or more of the other Senshi are quite easy to find. I'd appreciate the help!

Been reading some Stargate h/c recently, seeing if I can get any pointers on the Ranma h/c elements in my fic. Hotaru was treated pretty badly when first introduced. Need a way for the 'evil' Lady in Charge to torture Ranma, but make it more manipulative than inflicting pain alone. So Hotaru and Ranma can relate to each other a little if I let them meet.
Andy2kk
Senshi Cadet

Postby B'man » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:23 pm

Sound Hearts fits the bill. Set during the pre-canon period when Ranma and Ryoga meet; ships Ranma & Hotaru and Ryoga & Minako if I remember right. Focuses on the relationships between characters rather than senshi bidniss; it's very much an old-school fic and might be what you're looking for.
B'man
Senshi Cadet

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:01 pm

Two Ranma/Hotaru matchups I know of:

One is Awkward Consequences, which is probably one of the most famous Ranma/SM Character matchup fics in existance.

The other is Hotaru One Half; weird fic, but OK I guess. Has a load of new fiancees for Ranma, with him choosing Hotaru out of all of them.
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby CJN » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:14 pm

For Ranma/Hotaru, what's come to my mind in addition to what's already been mentioned is the whole No Tendo thread (R1/2, SM, SG-1, FMP, Xenosaga, Bolo, others?) at the Anime Addventure:
http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/19918.html
CJN
Senshi Cadet

Postby Andy2kk » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:29 pm

Thanks I've been looking for idea's on what Hotaru's mental state could be in different situations, trying to get into her head. Sound Hearts sounds like it could help and I remember reading Awkward Consequences a while ago, but a re-read couldn't hurt.
Andy2kk
Senshi Cadet

Postby Quizer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:24 am

I've just read 'Awkward Consequences'. It's fairly good overall, although I feel the angst is a little excessive at times. Did Hotaru angst this much in canon over her 'freaky' healing ability or her destructive powers?

Also, the hook is a little contrived in my opinion, although it's possible to suspend disbelief. Ranma may have next to no tolerance to alcohol, but his martial artist willpower and his thorough desensitization towards female allures should make an outcome like the one described in the story very unlikely. Still, once you get over that, the rest of the story is logically sound.

Unfortunately, the story cuts off abandoned just when most of the problematic issues are dealt with, and when we were finally about to see some Senshi action. The story is definitely worth the read, although I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.

Quizer
Quizer
Senshi Candidate

Postby PCHeintz72 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:02 am

Quizer wrote:I've just read 'Awkward Consequences'. It's fairly good overall, although I feel the angst is a little excessive at times. Did Hotaru angst this much in canon over her 'freaky' healing ability or her destructive powers?

Actually, in anime canon, yes. There is a sort of aura or impression of depression around her. Not like Gosenkugi from Ranma 1/2, but something similar.

Though the bullying is more fannon than canon, it is blown way out of proportion.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:50 am

Quizer wrote:I've just read 'Awkward Consequences'. It's fairly good overall, although I feel the angst is a little excessive at times. Did Hotaru angst this much in canon over her 'freaky' healing ability or her destructive powers?

PCHeintz72 wrote:Actually, in anime canon, yes. There is a sort of aura or impression of depression around her. Not like Gosenkugi from Ranma 1/2, but something similar.

Though the bullying is more fannon than canon, it is blown way out of proportion.

Very much so. In canon, the fact that she was disliked and picked on by other kids her age wasn't so much because of the healing power, which was strange enough to them, but because of her possession by Mistress 9. She would occasionally lose control of herself and hurt her classmates. What the other kids were doing was both picking on her because she was "weird", and retaliation.

The slant that she was hated solely for her healing ability and no other reason is pure fanon.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:17 pm

Aren't you going just a little off topic for a fic search?

Anyway, I forgot about The Phantom and the Silence by Jonathan Ford. It's not your standard Ranma/Hotaru matchup fic, but it is entertaining none-the-less.
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:25 pm

Point taken. I was replying to the message, and hadn't noticed the folder this is in.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Quizer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:31 pm

Sorry if this went too far off topic. Personally, I think comments on the various searched fics are valid because they allow the prospective reader to make an informed decision whether the fic in question is worth their time. I have very high standards and I rarely feel like slogging through a dozen worse-than-mediocre stories to stumble upon a good or excellent one, so I appreciate any and all comments the other posters care to make on the fics they mention and link to.

If the pod-- er, mod people disagree, though, I shall refrain from commenting upon fics in this 'fic search' part of the forum. I'm relatively new here and unfamiliar with the amount of leeway that is given here concerning off-topic posts. I'd like to discuss this somewhere more appropriate, as this really is totally off-topic. Can someone with the authority to speak on the atmosphere of this forum set something up?

'Destiny's Child' was Ranma/Rei, though, not Ranma/Hotaru, wasn't it? Fire writes (wrote?) great stuff, but in this instance, I believe Ranma's fixation on Akane and how it transferred over to Rei hurt the story tremendously.

I've read 'Sound Hearts', and I really liked it, but unfortunately the part of it that exists is a combination of too short/too slow to have an overarching plot that leads somewhere. Still, the Ranma/Hotaru/Ryoga friendship is very pleasant to read, and I regret that there isn't more of it.

Quizer
Quizer
Senshi Candidate

Postby lwf58 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:54 pm

Discussing the merits of a story in a fic search thread is okay. Where we went off-topic is in discussing the character of Hotaru, which has nothing to do with how good any of the stories listed in the thread are.

To answer your half-asked question, in the majority of the site, off-topic drifting is not permitted. That's not to say that you cannot dig into every possible angle of the topic, but generally, you can tell what the discussion is about by looking at the message that opens the topic, or the topic title. That's what we use when judging whether a conversation has gone too off the original discussion.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Quizer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:15 pm

lwf58 wrote:Discussing the merits of a story in a fic search thread is okay. Where we went off-topic is in discussing the character of Hotaru, which has nothing to do with how good any of the stories listed in the thread are.

To answer your half-asked question, in the majority of the site, off-topic drifting is not permitted. That's not to say that you cannot dig into every possible angle of the topic, but generally, you can tell what the discussion is about by looking at the message that opens the topic, or the topic title. That's what we use when judging whether a conversation has gone too off the original discussion.

I asked about Hotaru because I am largely unfamiliar with the SM canon material, and I found that I don't really need to be familiar with it to enjoy fanfiction based on it. However, knowing how something was or wasn't done in canon helps to put the fic in the proper perspective and to judge it on its own merits. For example, I can tolerate angst better if it has some justification in canon.

The way you describe it, free-spirited discussion does get inhibited at times. What are the procedures if a topic is drifting away from the thread's original purpose, but I want to continue discussing it? Do I create a new thread and link to it? I really don't want to run afoul of the rules, but I also don't want to be totally crippled in my ability to communicate with other people on this forum, because really, where's the point if you can't even have a relaxed discussion? (The reason I wanted to take this somewhere else is so I wouldn't have to hash out details like these in this thread.)

Quizer
Quizer
Senshi Candidate

Postby lwf58 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:34 pm

I let this discussion continue in this thread because I believe that other members will benefit from reading it. Otherwise, I would have had you PM me.

You nailed it. If a discussion begins to drift off-topic and you would like to continue that line of thought, creating a new topic and then linking to it is the right thing to do.

This happened just recently, when I split off the "Hotaru the Whipping Girl" thread off from a poll about people's favorite senshi.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby Quizer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:18 pm

lwf58 wrote:I let this discussion continue in this thread because I believe that other members will benefit from reading it. Otherwise, I would have had you PM me.

You nailed it. If a discussion begins to drift off-topic and you would like to continue that line of thought, creating a new topic and then linking to it is the right thing to do.

I see. This is quite bothersome, especially as it isn't always easy to tell where to put the diverging thread (for example, I couldn't locate the proper place for a 'question for the mods'-type thing like this), or the fact that it's not possible to create the link beforehand. However, I understand the need for staying very close to the original purpose in 'fic search' threads. I have one of these, too, and it bothers me when people happily chat about something unrelated while I'm still waiting for a fic suggestion that fits my query.

Unfortunately, I've already mentioned all Ranma/Hotaru fics I could think of. I'll leave it to the other posters to come up with others, or comment those that have only been linked to so far.

Quizer
Quizer
Senshi Candidate

Next

Return to Fic Search