new evils for Kasumi

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

new evils for Kasumi

Postby WG_Writer » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:37 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I have been noticing a recent trend in stories on ff.net that seem to be gearing away from Angel Kasumi character type, and more towards a cruder Kasumi who insults others under her breath, seemingly for no reason.

Has anyone else noticed this? or is it just me?
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Alathon » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:17 pm

I recall seeing this a couple times, but not really that many. I think it may just stand out a bit because it's at odds with the fanon goody-two-shoes Kasumi.

On the other hand, I haven't been reading ffnet for like a month, so I may just be out of date ;p
"Last week, I tried praying. But I found I was only talking to myself. Don't worry, I learned my lesson last time. This time, no disciples!" - N. Reynolds, To Tell a Hawk from a Handsaw
Alathon
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Tuisto » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:50 pm

Yes, I've noticed a few like what you describe... personally I'd much rather see her just portrayed as being normal and *human* with her own thoughts and feelings that she shares freely, and not some extreme parody of *niceness* or a sectratively quiet and plotting uber-bitch.

[spoiler] In fact, this thread has inspired me to do just this in my fic Daimakaicho Ranma... to show a normal Kasumi, free of pretenses and masks... and becasue I'm feeling magnanimous... I won't kill her off either... [spoiler]
Obfirmo absentis sententia... Imperium mens...
Tuisto
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:33 am

I'm afraid I'm behind on my fanfic reading cause I've been spending more time writing. In Twin Touble I write her less inocent just so it's something different than the Manga. I gotten a few reviewer that have asked for her to get hurt though.
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:45 am

I've occasionally noticed in the manga that Kasumi must not have a high opinion of Ranma. When Akane has a bad cold, she offers her a mallet in case he takes advantage of her while she was alone, and supposedly may have caused Ranma to walk in on the infamous "bath" scene at the beginning, not to mention that she joined in with Nabiki in talking down on his curse and pushing the marriage to Akane.

Still, I think most people want to think of her as a goody goody mostly because they want to think that their's some sort of silver lining of normality or niceness, not to mention that she really didn't do much of anything truly evil in the story involving the mind altering oni.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:34 pm

I blame the Oni possession OVA for making the Angel Kasumi image worse.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Uldihaa » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:02 pm

WarGiver wrote:I blame the Oni possession OVA for making the Angel Kasumi image worse.

Actually, she was possessed in the manga too. English volume 27, I believe, which was Japanese volume 29. It's one of those general silliness chapters. It's title was "<something> and the Bean"...*smacks forehead* I can't believe I forgot the whole title when I just looked it up O.o

As for Kasumi being angelic, I think it's mostly from the way she fades into the background after her introduction and that she seems to ignore or look at things in as positive a light as she can. She rarely gets angry, and usually only manages a mild scolding.

The 'evil' Kasumi seems to me to be an attempt to give the character some depth, usually based on what she does in the first volume of the manga; i.e. "Akane's a nice girl. She's just a violent maniac."
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby Rei-chan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 pm

About time some people gave Kasumi some personality I think. I mean canon wise she was little more than a background object most of the time. Gos had more influence. I suppose we could blame this trend on the fact that everyone has read all these 'goody goody might as well be Belldandy' Kasumis in fics so that whenever they write one they feel the need to tarnish the character a bit. I have found that everytime one of the characters seem to be getting a lot of support or fans thinking of them one way, there is shortly thereafter a group that tries to counter that.
Princess of Charon
Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu September 25, 2006.
I ain't got to explain it. I'm living magic, remember?
Rei-chan
Super Power Senshi

Postby rmt » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:39 pm

WarGiver wrote:I blame the Oni possession OVA for making the Angel Kasumi image worse.

Uldihaa wrote:Actually, she was possessed in the manga too.

And there was that "Kasumi Gets Angry" story (Viz vol 31). I know that in the end that it turned out that she wasn't, but you have to wonder why the Tendous (the people that knew her well) automatically assumed that she had done all that damage in a fit of anger.
rmt
Senshi Cadet

Postby bissek » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:12 pm

I for one am not all that fond of Kasumi. It isn't because of what she does, but because of what she doesn't do. Namely, she doesn't do anything about her sisters.

If she was truly a good person, she'd be willing to make at least a token attempt to rein in her sister's behavior, which in many cases is blatantly inappropriate. The worst she ever does is a mild scolding, which effectively teaches her sisters that they can get away with whatever they do to Ranma or others without having to take responsibility for the consequences.

In comparing Kasumi to Belldandy, I have to note that Belldandy does get jealous, and does get angry, and would never put up with her sisters putting Keichii through the abuse that Ranma gets from Kasumi's sisters.

At least Urd and Skuld honestly have the best in mind for either Keiichi, Belldandy, or both when they try their schemes. Akane and Nabiki don't have that excuse.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:39 pm

bissek wrote:If she was truly a good person, she'd be willing to make at least a token attempt to rein in her sister's behavior, which in many cases is blatantly inappropriate. The worst she ever does is a mild scolding, which effectively teaches her sisters that they can get away with whatever they do to Ranma or others without having to take responsibility for the consequences.

Like I just mentioned, she not only lets it slide but occasionally (really on Akane's side) even actively encourages the abuse.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Postby ToastedPine » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:12 pm

"Akane's a nice girl. She's just a violent maniac."

Does anyone know what she said in Japanese for this line? I have a feeling that the line implies very different things in the original version.
ToastedPine
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Drawde » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:25 am

ToastedPine wrote:"Akane's a nice girl. She's just a violent maniac."

Does anyone know what she said in Japanese for this line? I have a feeling that the line implies very different things in the original version.

From what I remember from other discussions, it's something like, "she's just violent sometimes." Basically, that she has a temper problem.

Although she's the eldest daugter, how much is she expected to do in controlling her sisters, with her mother dead, in Japanese society? Although people consider her to be basically replacing her mother, just how far does this go in Japan?
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Alathon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:45 am

ToastedPine wrote:"Akane's a nice girl. She's just a violent maniac."

This was discussed on some other thread.. maybe on the old board. Short of it was, that's pretty much literal and means exactly that.

Which is pretty funny, really, as long as you're not the psycho bitch in question.
"Last week, I tried praying. But I found I was only talking to myself. Don't worry, I learned my lesson last time. This time, no disciples!" - N. Reynolds, To Tell a Hawk from a Handsaw
Alathon
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Fiction Discussion