Sailor Ranko: The Webcomic.

Talk about the Sailor Sun comic and fics here.

Sailor Ranko: The Webcomic.

Postby burgerbecky » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:09 am

Yes, I've gone insane, but next week, when it debuts, I hope you like what you see. http://www.sailorranko.com
Last edited by burgerbecky on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writer, programmer, game geekette.
burgerbecky
Senshi Candidate

Postby LiliandraNadiar » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:21 am

Ohh... this looks promising. Can't wait. :D And don't worry, sanity's overrated anyways!
When in danger, or in doubt;
Run in circles, scream and shout
LiliandraNadiar
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby CJN » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:05 am

I'm looking forward to it.

Where in the storyline will the comic start?
CJN
Senshi Cadet

Postby Neko- » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:10 am

Darn it! You're really doing this to take time off writing, and just harass me with something else I need to spend more time on eh???

*Looks at the calender and curses the fact that the 17th of march is still that far off* :)
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby borgrabbit » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:34 am

ICU have started it. I really like it. I just hope it can be finished.
Wes
Old fart.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe. Today's cliche is next century's classic.
borgrabbit
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:30 am

Gotta watch out for those comics. Back in the late sixties I was doing a comic myself (obviously not web, but offset). Got two and a half story arcs done, and a half-dozen one-pagers. Then my sister noted that it was obvious not only that each character was somebody in my life, but who that somebody was. So I hit a complete stop.

Gotta watch out how much self-revelation you do in these things.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Tovath » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:57 pm

Isn't that true of any writing?
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:37 pm

Tovath wrote:Isn't that true of any writing?

Of course. But after you've gotten good at it, they have to dig harder. And you can manage plausible deniability with a semi-straight face.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Writing

Postby burgerbecky » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:06 am

Tovath wrote:Isn't that true of any writing?

Not really. When I write, I write from the point of view of each character. I totally separate myself from their world.
burgerbecky
Senshi Candidate

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:15 am

I think they meant the whole having to be careful of too much self revelation is true of any writing. Not that self revelation is an essential part of any writing. At least that's how I'm following it.

I'd ask how the move went but it might be too much of a tangent.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:55 am

Spokavriel wrote: I think they meant the whole having to be careful of too much self revelation is true of any writing. Not that self revelation is an essential part of any writing. At least that's how I'm following it..

If it isn't in you, where does it come from when you put it on the page? Even if you are writing somebody completely different from yourself, it shows you were interested enough to pay attention to them and absorb some manner of schemata for their personality and actions. That in itself is a revelation of your interests.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 am

I guess the sticking point for me is that I see revealing your imagination trying to continue a character as different than revealing yourself. So a distinction can be made between the points of view.

Am I revealing what I imagine or am I revealing my life. True it all reflects my self in some aspect but I hope I'm not being confusing in trying to point out how I am seeing the distinction.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:17 pm

Spokavriel wrote: I guess the sticking point for me is that I see revealing your imagination trying to continue a character as different than revealing yourself. So a distinction can be made between the points of view.

Am I revealing what I imagine or am I revealing my life. True it all reflects my self in some aspect but I hope I'm not being confusing in trying to point out how I am seeing the distinction.

We're simply using different definitions of "self". If I understand you, you're talking about the person you are, and the things you've done. I'm adding the fantasies and interests and paths-forgone-but-not-forgotten.

Most discussions like this need, somewhere in the works, a definition of the terms used.

I've done enough role-playing games to know that my characters are myself. Still, there's no way my physical person could do some of those things. I cannot turn invisible like McSnoid the Leprechaun, nor throw tanks across town with nothing but the power of my mind like Mira. But they live in my head, and since they developed, I haven't had to fear nightmares. Bebe, daughter of Shub-Niggurath and niece of Cthulhu, eats them for dinner. Can't get realer than that.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:26 pm

This is one instance where it would be nice to be fully telepathic and share thoughts directly too many uses for a word like self. I think you are correct that we are seeing the word differently sorry about confusion.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Writing

Postby Tovath » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:03 pm

burgerbecky wrote:Not really. When I write, I write from the point of view of each character. I totally separate myself from their world.

But you are getting into their heads and telling us what they feel. What you write is based on what you know, correct? (This doesn't mean what you put in your story has to be real) There is only one person whose feeling you can feel directly, yourself, so anytime you write about feeling you draw on that knowledge. Therefore you are telling us about yourself because all of your charaters are you at some level. Kinda scary (on more then one level) isn't it?
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Burger Becky's fics