Revisiting the restart after power outage problem

Talk about various bits of technology (both hardware and software) here. Also used for troubleshooting and other problems.

Revisiting the restart after power outage problem

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Since the last time I brought this up (turning off the option that makes the computer turn back on if the power goes out momentarily, which is like the dumbest idea ever), I was using another computer with Vista. I anticipated the power going out with this sleet and freezing rain, so I checked the BIOS and... no dice. It wasn't in the power management or whatever it was, anyway. I looked around in Windows 7, wherever I thought I might find an option to turn it off, but couldn't find anything. Of course, I tried to look it up via search engine, but all I got were stuff about stopping the restart after an update; not what I wanted at all. ;/

I was hoping that someone knew how to make my computer stop trying to turn itself back on when the power goes out, because it often seems that -- when there's an issue with the power -- it goes in and out before it decides to stay on or off, and it worries me when the computer tries to turn back on during the short intervals when the power's on. I can't even begin to imagine the advantage of having a computer turn back on when the circumstances need to be specific for it to make any difference. As if I'm going to be inconvenienced by pressing the power button when I'm good and ready. -_-
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: Revisiting the restart after power outage problem

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Huh...

If it is a desktop giving you that much trouble, then when the power goes out, pull the plug. It will then stay off.

If it is a notebook/netbook/ultrabook, just shut down to save battery life.

If it is a gadget level device, you are on your own.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:34 pm

Desktop, yeah. Problem is, I can't predict when the power will go out, so I can't get to the plug in time.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Desktop, yeah. Problem is, I can't predict when the power will go out, so I can't get to the plug in time.

If you hold the power button in for 4 seconds, that forces a shutdown of the system.

The better approach is to get a simple UPS for the system, something that only needs to power the system for say 2 minutes... long enough for you to do a completely safe shutdown.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby DCG » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:22 pm

That's really odd. As that's an option that should be in the bios. Might want to recheck? There should be a part with options to do after a power off event.
Fukufics Mod, Plot Hammer, And Muse poker.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:00 pm

I'm willing to recheck, but where would such an option be, exactly?
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:58 pm

PCHeintz72 wrote:If you hold the power button in for 4 seconds, that forces a shutdown of the system.

That doesn´t work once the power has gone, you know, out... :wink:

PCHeintz72 wrote:The better approach is to get a simple UPS for the system, something that only needs to power the system for say 2 minutes... long enough for you to do a completely safe shutdown.

Excellent idea, but costs money.

#####

DCG wrote:That's really odd. As that's an option that should be in the bios. Might want to recheck? There should be a part with options to do after a power off event.

Agreed, it definitely should be there.

#####

I'm willing to recheck, but where would such an option be, exactly?

Depends on what motherboard you have. Different makers sometimes puts options under very different names and in different places.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:13 pm

That doesn´t work once the power has gone, you know, out... :wink:

But pulling the power cable does.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Okay, so I think that "AC Recovery" is what I needed to find in the BIOS; it escaped my notice in the power management section somehow. Except, well, it was already set to remain off -- as far as I can tell -- when the power comes back on after going out. Unless they worded things stupidly so on and off can be confused for the other. ;/
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Okay, so I think that "AC Recovery" is what I needed to find in the BIOS; it escaped my notice in the power management section somehow. Except, well, it was already set to remain off -- as far as I can tell -- when the power comes back on after going out. Unless they worded things stupidly so on and off can be confused for the other. ;/

Check so there isn´t a third option as well. And yeah, sometimes they do word things very counter intuitively, so its not impossible even if it is implausible.

You could check if you find anything more here:
http://www.techarp.com/freebog.aspx
but as far as i could find, options in regard to power fail were all stated to have "off" as the selection you wanted.

So, i really don´t know. I guess there could be a switch of some kind on the motherboard, but i wouldn´t expect it.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Tech