HDMI to AV for Fire TV

Talk about various bits of technology (both hardware and software) here. Also used for troubleshooting and other problems.

HDMI to AV for Fire TV

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:11 am

Okay, so I want to hook up the Fire TV to the TV in the living room, but it doesn't have an HDMI input, and I can only assume that the colorstream input means that the TV understands digital, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to get so I can get an HDMI output from the Fire TV to work with an AV input on the TV. Would something like this (link goes to Amazon) do the job?
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: HDMI to AV for Fire TV

Postby DCG » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:11 pm

What you linked has a male end to it. Might want to double check that it would work with your fire drive. Other then that is should work.
Fukufics Mod, Plot Hammer, And Muse poker.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:11 pm

If "male" means that it does the inserting, rather than being inserted into, then it's what I'm looking for. However, I'm uncertain if the digital signal has to be converted into analog for the TV to pick it up via the AV input, or if transmitting the digital signal won't require the TV to convert the signal into analog. Other than that, I'm pretty sure the TV can understand digital; I just don't know if it can convert that signal if that happens to be a requirement. (Since the Fire TV's only usable output is HDMI, and the TV doesn't have an HDMI input, so I've got to work with what the TV has.)
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby DCG » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:21 pm

All the analog info is still in the digital signal. Hell if you want to shortcut cable company's you can get a nice Digital attenta and hooking it up to an old tv and still get all the core channels.

You just miss out on all the extra data that does HD, srround sound, ect.
Fukufics Mod, Plot Hammer, And Muse poker.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:34 pm

Ah, I see. Well, the TV can do HD, but that's not a requirement. Just so long as there's something watchable appearing on the screen, it's all good. I just want to get Netflix, Hulu Plus and the like for the old folks via Fire TV, since we couldn't afford cable anymore, and the cheap package for Dish has next to nothing that interests them.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Return to Tech