More Adobe flash plugin bologna

Talk about various bits of technology (both hardware and software) here. Also used for troubleshooting and other problems.

More Adobe flash plugin bologna

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:33 am

It won't let me watch any videos and shows me a "I'm vulnerable and should be updated" message. Which is a lie, since it seems to be telling me that I must update if I want to watch videos. I was hoping that there was some way to tell it to shut the hell up and let me watch videos without having to go through the update and browser compatibility nonsense that has become a nigh certainty in recent times. I really, really don't want to deal with it.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: More Adobe flash plugin bologna

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:39 am

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:It won't let me watch any videos and shows me a "I'm vulnerable and should be updated" message. Which is a lie, since it seems to be telling me that I must update if I want to watch videos. I was hoping that there was some way to tell it to shut the hell up and let me watch videos without having to go through the update and browser compatibility nonsense that has become a nigh certainty in recent times. I really, really don't want to deal with it.

Ehhh... I have not had a problem, but then I use IE...

Flash did request I update it the other day, but have not noticed any issues.

The problem with this chicken before the egg crap that is going on with these various updates the last few months, is exactly whom do we blame?
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:50 am

There´s also the stupid thing about how because MS no longer updates Win XP, we are suddenly by default UNSAFE!!! according to a lot of checks. :roll:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:53 am

There are lepers among us!?

PCHeintz72 wrote:The problem with this chicken before the egg crap that is going on with these various updates the last few months, is exactly whom do we blame?

Society. *Nods sagely*
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:01 am

I'm waiting for the grand outcry next year when browsers start turning off some plug in support ability...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:31 am

Adobe flash should be killed with fire. :evil: maybe then, YouTube and others would finally switch to flash-less videos.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Cheb wrote:Adobe flash should be killed with fire. :evil: maybe then, YouTube and others would finally switch to flash-less videos.

Meh... in regards to motion video type formats, there is more than flash still out there, depending on how you class them...

Lets see...

Flash
Shockwave
Silverlight
GIF
MJPG
MPNG

And the problem I mentioned is not Flash, but something that has been brewing for some time. Google wants more control over its browser (of course, they won't say they want to kill ad blockers, but whatever). Mozilla also is in a similar mindset.

Basically, Chrome at least early next year is going to be mandating that most plug ins are optional and force users to acknowledge them being used. Later they plan on removing plug in support for most plug ins...

I do not overly use much in regards to plug ins, and do not use Chrome in any case, but I imagine quite a large number of people are going to be quite put out.

Mozilla can do whatever it wants, since I would not touch that pile of crap to save my life...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:37 pm

Crescent: maybe this page might help?
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Since even though while I've not been having issues with it lately others have, that Adobe Flash just wanted me to upgrade again, which I did.

The last time it asked was within a day or two of everyone else here having issues.

Consider it a friendly warning as a just in case.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:20 am

Recommend scrapping GIF, MJPG and MPNG from the list above and inserting MPEG, Theora, Dirac and WebM instead.

The best you can do with GIF and MJPEG is animate with stills.
MPNG? Ya mean APNG or MNG? Both are limited to animations.

The others are full-motion video. MPEG is an acronym (Motion Picture Experts Group). Theora is one of those Xiphophorus (xiph.org) things along with Ogg, FLAC, Vorbis and Speex. The BBC developed and uses Dirac. Google owns and pushes WebM (and WebP).
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Tech