Desktop.ini

Talk about various bits of technology (both hardware and software) here. Also used for troubleshooting and other problems.

Desktop.ini

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:00 pm

So, this thing up and decided to show up on my desktop. How do I make it be invisible again?
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: Desktop.ini

Postby Munchkin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:55 pm

Usually this shows up because you un-ticked "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" in your Folder Options. If you have this ticked, it will show hidden files and folders as semi-transparent.
Munchkin
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Generally speaking... they are also fairly safe to delete in the desktop, the start menu, and if you use it in the internet explorer favorites as well...

Note if you do decide to delete them, it is possible that folder behavior might revert back to defaults the next time you go to it. This can be good as it sometimes happens a person can set a folder to display other than the way wanted, this method would correct for that unless you are overriding with a system default behavior, in which cases the settings in them are mostly ignored.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Well, that's the thing: I haven't changed folder options in any way in a long time. I only did two things different yesterday: I browsed one page at mangafox to check what translation version of a manga they had (I normally never go to that site), and I did a virus scan (which came up with Artemis!BAC[and a log-ass number here], and apparently taken care of).
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Well, that's the thing: I haven't changed folder options in any way in a long time. I only did two things different yesterday: I browsed one page at mangafox to check what translation version of a manga they had (I normally never go to that site), and I did a virus scan (which came up with Artemis!BAC[and a log-ass number here], and apparently taken care of).

Hmmm... another possibility is if there are two such files in the same directory... it can happen, and depending on the settings would not see them as differently named. In that case, the one still hidden is the normal one, the one you can see is the 2nd one, that should be able to be deleted, as windows should use the first one.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:09 am

...I just noticed that it's not just that hidden file visible, and there are some folders with padlocks on them, now. I can enter most of them, it seems, but I'm denied access to folders like default user and documents and settings. And I'm using an administrative account.

So, looks like I picked up something from mangafox and my anti-virus didn't catch it. I guess I'll just have to do a restore to a better time...~
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:04 am

PCHeintz72 wrote:Hmmm... another possibility is if there are two such files in the same directory... it can happen, and depending on the settings would not see them as differently named. In that case, the one still hidden is the normal one, the one you can see is the 2nd one, that should be able to be deleted, as windows should use the first one.

If there´s two, then they´re not in the same directory as you cannot have 2 identically named files in the same place.

http://www.howtogeek.com/198704/why-are ... -desktops/

One of them is in the “All Users” profile (%PUBLIC%\Desktop). The other is in your profile (%USERPROFILE%\Desktop).

...I just noticed that it's not just that hidden file visible, and there are some folders with padlocks on them, now. I can enter most of them, it seems, but I'm denied access to folders like default user and documents and settings. And I'm using an administrative account.

So, looks like I picked up something from mangafox and my anti-virus didn't catch it. I guess I'll just have to do a restore to a better time...~

Or you have accidentally changed settings somewhere, or the files are simply secure(folder sharing/security options). Try searching for "padlocked folders".
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:48 am

I picked up something from mangafox

Use a *safe* browser to browse dubious sites. Take Firefox, install NoScript addon. Do not enable JavaScript when browsing these sites.

Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:34 am

That's exactly what I am using.

That, and AdBlock Plus. I never use Firefox without them.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:24 am

Sounds like adbloc plus may have already locked them down if they are locked files you can't access in ad min mode. Probably pocked to keep you from accidently activating the virus or malware that slipped in
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Tech