Format/Reinstall Computer Fun

Talk about various bits of technology (both hardware and software) here. Also used for troubleshooting and other problems.

Format/Reinstall Computer Fun

Postby Konsaki » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:26 am

So, I hadn't formatted/reinstalled my computer for a year, which is odd cause I normally do it at least every 4-6 months.
Everything goes smoothly, I backed up all my files and performed the install and updates. 2-3 hours later, I have a fully up to date computer which runs super fast!

So I install a few system monitoring gadgets that my co-worker uses on his computer. He's a computer tech head and tricked out his water cooled tower with all sorts of programming shenanigans, so I install them and everything's good. I check out the config options and find out the gadget has an update due. I tell it up update.

My computer goes fucking apeshit.

I now have adware, spamware and all my internet links flash rainbow colors when I mouse over them. I told him about this crap and he laughed and told me to install the gadget, not to update it.

So, I'm now just finishing up my second format/reinstall... this time not installing said gadgets.

Jokes on me, I guess. :roll:
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Re: Format/Reinstall Computer Fun

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:13 am

Konsaki wrote:So, I hadn't formatted/reinstalled my computer for a year, which is odd cause I normally do it at least every 4-6 months.
Everything goes smoothly, I backed up all my files and performed the install and updates. 2-3 hours later, I have a fully up to date computer which runs super fast!

So I install a few system monitoring gadgets that my co-worker uses on his computer. He's a computer tech head and tricked out his water cooled tower with all sorts of programming shenanigans, so I install them and everything's good. I check out the config options and find out the gadget has an update due. I tell it up update.

My computer goes fucking apeshit.

I now have adware, spamware and all my internet links flash rainbow colors when I mouse over them. I told him about this crap and he laughed and told me to install the gadget, not to update it.

So, I'm now just finishing up my second format/reinstall... this time not installing said gadgets.

Jokes on me, I guess. :roll:

Ehhh... what gadget is that?
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:27 am

Cant remember the name but it monitors system clocks, CPU temp, Fan Speed and network usage. The problem is, the guy who makes it gives it away for free and gets paid by bundling all these other crap programs with it in the install.
When you install it, you can say no to all the other crap but the 'update' options in the config bypasses the yes/no prompts and just installs everything at once.

It's useful but not so much that I want to bother with it after that fiasco.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:34 am

Jokes on me, I guess.

:(

That just sucks.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 pm

It was more annoying than anything. Everything's good now.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Tech