Bookmarking FFNet?

Talk about various bits of technology (both hardware and software) here. Also used for troubleshooting and other problems.

Bookmarking FFNet?

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm trying to bookmark an author's page on FFNet. Firefox 23.0.1 won't do it. Nor will it bookmark a story. But when I try bookmarking other places, it seems to work just fine, and all my old bookmarks still work.

It won't even let me edit the properties of some other bookmark to turn it into the bookmark I want -- all the text fields are changed appropriately, but the address stays original even when I update it with the new address and save it.

Since Fanfiction Downloader recently was broken by FFNet changes, I suspect them more than I do Firefox. Any of you have experience with this?
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Re: Bookmarking FFNet?

Postby Konsaki » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:59 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:I'm trying to bookmark an author's page on FFNet. Firefox 23.0.1 won't do it. Nor will it bookmark a story. But when I try bookmarking other places, it seems to work just fine, and all my old bookmarks still work.

It won't even let me edit the properties of some other bookmark to turn it into the bookmark I want -- all the text fields are changed appropriately, but the address stays original even when I update it with the new address and save it.

Since Fanfiction Downloader recently was broken by FFNet changes, I suspect them more than I do Firefox. Any of you have experience with this?
Dont know about the bookmarking problem since I favorite stories I want to follow.
I have noticed that I can't highlight text in stories anymore and I use Chrome. Highlighting text while I'm reading as a habit, so it was a little jarring when I could no longer do it.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:04 pm

I have noticed that I can't highlight text in stories anymore and I use Chrome

Same here, but I use Internet Explorer
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Dumbledork wrote:Same here, but I use Internet Explorer.
Maybe they're trying to keep people from 'stealing' stories and posting them elsewhere? :|
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Dumbledork wrote:
Same here, but I use Internet Explorer

That bug appeared to me a week or two ago, running Seamonkey as my standard webreader.

Maybe they're trying to keep people from 'stealing' stories and posting them elsewhere?

:mrgreen:

Use Ctrl+U (or click on View and select "Page Source"(most webreaders have it or something similar)) to get the source for the page, then copy paste from there. You get any and all html included, but that´s not an insurmountable problem.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Gnudist » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Maybe they're trying to keep people from 'stealing' stories and posting them elsewhere?

not that it really stops anyone from doing that. disabling JavaScript should restore the copypasta, and attempts to drm text are stupid to begin with since anyone who really wants to copy a book can just retype it out.
In her home in U'sagi dead serenity waits dreaming.
Gnudist
Moon Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:07 am

Ehhh... Don't see the issues myself...

On Favorites/Bookmarks:
I just made a favorite link of a FanFiction.NET story and was fine... But I also use Internet Explorer, not FireFox or Chrome. I dropped FireFox Back at 3.x when they broke the Bookmark Manager and it could not handle importing My Internet Explorer Favorites anymore and tended to crash constantly. That was not my only issue with it, but it was the one that finally made me drop it.

I cannot see how FanFiction.NET can be an issue when creating a favorite or bookmark, that is a function of the browser and should merely be copying whatever the current link in the link bar is. The only potential issue is if the story name or page name has unusual characters in it.

A potential reason it might not work for you is if you have too many bookmarks.

On FanFictionDownloader.NET:
FanFictionDownloader.NET was updated to v.0.8.3 just the other day to correct the breaking of it issue... I used it yesterday just fine.

On Copy/Paste/Selecting in FanFiction.NET:
Copy and paste of a chapter *does* work in Trident engine based browsers, such as Internet Explorer (I know as I was still fully able to do it even as of 2 days ago).

Initial tests I did when they made the change though indicate it is fully broke in Chrome and FireFox. Those browsers have script based workarounds available though from 3rd parties. No such script is needed for IE. Note I am referring to havin tested their HTML rendering engines, not the browsers... I refuse to install FireFox, and did not care for Chrome last I tested it as a potential backup browser... I tested the respective rendering engines using Avant, which allows for all three engines.

Note that selective text selection (like a paragraph) does not work in Trident engine based browsers either. This is not a issue for me, since I read offline.

Hope all that helps.

EDIT1: On the other hand, I really wish they would fix the RSS/ATOM feeds... that they are still partially down is extremely annoying, as I guarantee they would be receiving probably 100x the flak were it the email alert system instead.

EDIT2: On a whim, and just in case something changed.

- I rechecked copy/paste in IE, it still works fine as I described.

- I rechecked FanFictionDownloader.NET, v.0.8.3 is still working, so no further change or rebreaking has occurred.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 pm

PCHeintz72 wrote:- I rechecked copy/paste in IE, it still works fine as I described.

- I rechecked FanFictionDownloader.NET, v.0.8.3 is still working, so no further change or rebreaking has occurred.

The FFNet changes broke FanFictionDownloader v.0.8.1. 0.8.2 and 0.8.3 are recent updates to get around the problem.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby PCHeintz72 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:The FFNet changes broke FanFictionDownloader v.0.8.1. 0.8.2 and 0.8.3 are recent updates to get around the problem.

Right,I mentioned that higher n my post:
FanFictionDownloader.NET was updated to v.0.8.3 just the other day to correct the breaking of it issue... I used it yesterday just fine.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Yando » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:31 pm

For the highlighting in the story problem, there is a greasemonkey(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... asemonkey/) script for firefox that you can use to get around that issue.
Yando
Senshi Candidate

Postby Cheb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:48 am

It seems they are now experiencing a server meltdown.

Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 am

It's working again.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:30 pm

For me, it's only working for some values of 'working'. It lets me bookmark things like the "Ranma/SailorMoon crossover pages, but not author pages nor story pages. Pity -- I like to bookmark authors for a rainy day. Then if it turns out I like them, I'll turn on author notifications. No longer works.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Cheb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:07 pm

Found it. The chapter is wrapped in a div including this nice class:
.nocopy {
-moz-user-select: none;
}
Googling it gives: http://htmlbook.net/cssrefrences/moz-user-select
Basically, they use an obscure css property that is supported only in Firefox to make the story text non-selectable
Why the hell did they use such a dirty trick I have no idea.
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Tried to bookmark chapters of my fic.

Everything worked. No matter which of the seven domains I allow or forbid to execute scripts. Firefox 24.0, Win 7 64.

In fact, you only have to allow scripts from three domains: fanfiction.net for the navigation to work, then netdna-cdn.com and ajax.googleapis.com (otherwise all the text appears centered).
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Next

Return to Tech