An issue with Firefox 20

Talk about various bits of technology (both hardware and software) here. Also used for troubleshooting and other problems.

An issue with Firefox 20

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:40 pm

This version added a downloads icon which has a highly noticeable animation (enlarges significantly for a second and becomes green) that I find annoying, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove it. What I've downloaded also seems to stick around instead of automatically disappearing once the download is finished, and I can't find anything for that, either. ;/
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: An issue with Firefox 20

Postby Munchkin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:35 pm

If you don't like it, you can turn it off by going to the "about:config" page, then setting the value of "browser.download.useToolkitUI" to "true".

That's what I've done (for now anyway), since the feature also appears to be pretty bugged - about 3/4th of the time clicking on the down-arrow does nothing. I have to hit Ctrl-J instead.
Munchkin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Right now, I'm using Firefox 19.0.2. Perhaps I should stop accepting updates for a while?
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Right now, I'm using Firefox 19.0.2. Perhaps I should stop accepting updates for a while?

There has been some bugs with recent versions so that might be a very good idea if your current version works properly.
I´m running version 16 and have no intention of updating unless i find a real need to do so.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm thinking of going back to nineteen. I only recently decided to upgrade to that from 3.6.8, and figured if I go that far I might as well follow the updates, but... eh. I think I'm too lazy. ;/
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby iiradned » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:This version added a downloads icon which has a highly noticeable animation (enlarges significantly for a second and becomes green) that I find annoying, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove it. What I've downloaded also seems to stick around instead of automatically disappearing once the download is finished, and I can't find anything for that, either. ;/

Place the cursor over any of the icons in the same level of the address bar and right click and select Customize. A new dialog window will appear which details the icons you place on the address bar. To add an icon select the desired feature and drag it to the location you want it in. To remove an icon drag it from the address bar to the dialog window and click Done. You can also rearrange the icons on the toolbar while the Customize Toolbar dialog is open.
iiradned
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Huh. That's actually kinda neat, and pretty much solves all but one issue I have with Firefox, now.

Now, if I can do something about the arrow key scrolling... I prefer it to move a line at a time at a moderate pace when the arrow key is held down, instead of jumping and zooming at a pace that makes it hard to keep up.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Munchkin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:Huh. That's actually kinda neat, and pretty much solves all but one issue I have with Firefox, now.

Now, if I can do something about the arrow key scrolling... I prefer it to move a line at a time at a moderate pace when the arrow key is held down, instead of jumping and zooming at a pace that makes it hard to keep up.

I always turn off smooth scroll, since that can cause a lot of jumping: Tools -> Options, Advanced -> General, untick 'Use smooth scrolling'.

See if that makes a difference.

If not, there are a variety of advanced options in 'about:config' to do with scrolling that you might be able to fiddle with to see if it improves your behaviour. I've not played with them though, so I can't comment on whether they'll make life better or more miserable, sorry.
Munchkin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:35 pm

It's better. The speed is a bit more than I would prefer, but I can get used to it.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Return to Tech