The Very Best in Fics From Overlooked Series

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

The Very Best in Fics From Overlooked Series

Postby stratagemini » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:28 pm

Okay. Skaarj had a good idea with his Ranma reccomendation thread, but Ranma isn't the be all and end all of the fanfic universe.
I've noticed that in even in General Reccomendation threads on this forum there are very few Non-Ranma/Naruto/Harry Potter fics. So I decided to beg borrow and steal (mostly steal) from Skaarj's thread.
this is the list for excellent overlooked fics from overlooked series. There's an incredible volume of fics out there that are just... Overlooked this is the place to list them.
Now here's where I steal blatantly from Skaarj.
The rules to this are simple.
1) Only one fic allowed per post.
2) Make sure that the fic you are posting about hasn't already been talked about here (this seems to be common problem amoungst the other "fic list" threads).
3) All fics posted here must be still hosted somewhere on the web. We don't want people to get really interested in a fic from the description of it only to find out that it's no longer available.
4) You must follow this basic layout;
Name - Name of the fic
Link - A link to where the fic can be found
Type - Action/Adventure/Drama/Dark/Romance/Comedy (delete as applicable)
Series - The series the fic belongs to
Crossover - List any additional series here (unless it's pure Ranma, in which case just put "none")
Description - Here's where you tell us what the fic's about. A few lines is okay, but don't go overboard and type up loads of paragraphs, that'd just put people off of reading your post.
Reason for Recommendation - Give a little reason why you think the fic is good enough for other people to like it. Again, as above, don't overdo it with huge amounts of text.

I'll start it off.
Name - The Fragility of Time
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/215354/1/
Type - Action/Adventure/Drama
Series- Sailor Moon
Crossover - Minor elements from Babylon 5, Ranma 1/2, and a short cameo by Sailor Ranko
Description - Chibi Usa get's knocked off course while traveling through time before Stars. Instead she arrives just after Nephryte's death while Beyrl is still around. But Chibi Usa isn't the only misplaced Time Traveler. Things quickly spiral out of control as the senshi are forced to deal with masterless Droids, and Rubeus on the loose even as Beryl threatens to destroy the entire world.
Reason for Recommendation - Unlike other divergences this story has it all, a living embodiment of chaos theory in action. Things quickly spiral out of control until they are barely recognizable as Sailor moon. Things fall apart, the center cannot hold. This is what Sailor moon would be like if it were written as a war novel instead of magical girl.
It reads on the whole much like Trimatter's Aftermath, the writing style gets noticably better as the story progresses. So don't give up after teh first chapter.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby iiradned » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:51 am

The Dance of Shiva by John Walter Biles
(The title is a link)
Type - Action/Comedy/Drama
Series - Bubblegum Crisis (it starts out there)
Crossover - Tenchi/Sailor Moon/Patlabor/Kimagure Orange Road/Aa! Megami-sama/Jonny Quest/Hime-chan no Ribon
Description - When a coma patient wakes up after 30 plus years the Knight Sabers find themselves embroiled in a millenia's old war between the creations of a long dead unscrupulous scientist and an ancient power.
Reason - This was one of the first mega-xover fanfics out there. The plot is tightly woven and the integration of the various series is quite seamless (though it relies on on some out-dated information). Each component series remains largely true to itself except of course where necessary changes are made when it rubs up against another series.
The story is part of Biles' huge meta-fic primarily centered around Sailor Moon. More info can be found here. There are fics set before and after this story one of which is still unfinished.
iiradned
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Atlan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:36 am

Name: Browncoat, Green Eyes
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2857962/1/
Type: Action/Adevnture/Comedy
Series: Harry Potter
Crossover: Firefly/Serinity
Description:
Harry James Potter lived a long, full life. He defeated a dark lord or twenty, married the love of his life, and had many beautiful years with her. When she died, Harry was lost. What should he do? Live out the rest of his life in peace? Not Harry Potter! He put himself to magical sleep, with instructions to be woken up when the next Dark Lord came to power, for him to defeat.
Like any good plan, it failed miserably. Harry wakes up several hundered years later, as the Aliance needs someone to kill River after the planet Miranda is exposed. Harry finds himself in the future, with no clue what happened to the rest of wizarding socity.
Reason: This is one of the few HP fics that dont make me want to gouge out my eyes and/or kill the author. Most HP fics seem to have harry in love with Snape, or bash Dumbledoor, Ron and Hermione. This is a lighthearted one that keeps everyone in charecter, whilst showing what 50 years of being married to Luna Lovegood does to a person.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Re: The Very Best in Fics From Overlooked Series

Postby Metroidvania » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:45 am

Name - A different Life
Link - here
Author - crosseyedbutterfly
Type - Drama/Romance
Series - Love Hina
Crossover - None
Description - Keitaro ends up married to Motoko, but not where one would think...Saying more would kind of ruin the surprise......
Reason for Recommendation - Without a doubt, the best Kei/Motoko fic that's being updated. A lack of bashing of anyone, an excellent plot with both realistic and Love Hina esque properties, the qualities of the characters are well within canon limits...the best Love Hina centric fic I've read so far.
Last edited by Metroidvania on Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Steiner » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:37 am

Name: Brightly Burning
Author: Aishuu
Series: Hikaru no Go
Click me! Click me! .... pleeeeease :(
Type: Drama
Crossover: None
Description: "In a different world, Hikaru never steps into Touya Kouyo's salon. When he is fifteen, the Go world starts to take notice of a terrifying new insei with amazing strength..."
Determination. Focus. Emotion and lack thereof. That are the driving forces of this fanfic - and, I must add, a fanfic that I am still eager to see updates from.
It is hard to say what exactly it is that makes this fanfic so amazing, but, well, it just -is- amazing.
Well, at least, if you liked Hikaru no Go ;)
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever." - O'Brien
Steiner
Senshi Candidate

Postby Atlan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:33 pm

Name: Not Myself
Author: Princess Alexandria
Series: X-men (Comic)
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1278078/1/
Description: A normal human named Chrisite takes in a number of Mutants that have no other place to go. But Christie is not as human as she thought, and she has a dark past that threatens to overwhealm her.
Reason: Well, aside from meeting my two primarry categorys for recomending a fic (well written and long), it also comes as close to a self insertion as a fic can get without sucking. Christie, before her world became a living hell, used to collect the X-men commics. But when her world finally died, she found herself in the X-men world.
This fic has the unusual point of having an almost-SI, but she's got fairly tame but untrained powers. She also hasnt read the Commic in years, so she is far from ominnessent.

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:29 pm

Atlan wrote:Name: Not Myself

Not Myself's first chapters start off a little weak plot wise, but it gets much better....although knowledge of the comics, while not essential, definitely would help...also, eventual shoujo-ai, and prett much as near Yuri as FF allows in this one. Just a warning for some people.....
anywhoo....
Title: Path to Chaos: Ascension to supremacy
Author: Lord Rance
Link: Here
Crossover: Mega, mostly Ranma, Tenchi and O/AMG!
Type:Action/Adventure
Series: Everything it comes into contact to, with Ranma being the staple that holds things "together"
Description:A powerful entity has been reborn after so many eons being dead, but what if the entity doesn't want to go back to what he used to be? This is a story of a powerful god, who doesn't want to become a god.
Reason for Recommendation: First off, I know this may have been mentioned once or twice, but not with any regularity...so....
The fic is humongously long, with Ranma getting in worse and worse situations...like the manga/anime, but even more chaotic!....
It's got Ranma as a god of sorts, but he's not all-powerful. Plus, there's so many crossovers that are kept amazingly seperate and yet cohesive, it's definitely worth a look.
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Atlan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:47 am

Thanks for adding that, Metroidvania.
Name: Black Wing
Author: Shadow Master
Series: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Crossover: X-men (comic), Spiderman (comic)
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2204232/1/
Description: Xander gets accedently infused with an evil dragon god. The god, while dormant, gets stronger the more Xander uses the powers it gave him. When Xander gets chassed out of town on suspicion of being a mutant, he moves to New York, meeting both Spiderman and the Xmen.
Reason for adding: Well written, decent legnth. Even though my x-men comic knologe, as well as my Spiderman knowlege, is terible, I still made my way through it, enjoying it a lot.
Also, while X-men gets lots of crossovers with different series, it's unusual that the crosover charecter ISNT a mutant. Xander isnt, but hasnt mentioned that to anyone.

Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby crystlshake » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:31 am

Name - Blue Soup
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2476159/1/
Type - Comedy with of course a spattering of other themes found in the Slayers series
Series - Slayers
Crossover - none that I recall
Description - A mischevious Trickster Priest plays a prank. The cast tries to deal with the fall out and from there things spin wildly out of control.
Reason for Recommendation - Fun and funny that lasts for five chapters. I hereby disavow any responsibility for any mouzuku related 'accidents' that occur in Spamville as a result of reading this fic.
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby crystlshake » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:59 am

Name - Harry Potter and the Eternal Boundary
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2420891/1/
Type - Comedy and Adventure mostly
Series - Harry Potter
Crossover - a heavy dose of some variety of D&D goodness, dont recall anything else
Description - The Department of Mysteries and some Dimensional Doors lead some other worldly adventurers on a magical adventure. Harry and crew unwittingly become the welcoming committe of sorts.
Reason for Recommendation - Though the swift introduction of the adventuring party offers a little trouble with putting a face to a name for the new characters, its nothing that the rest of the work wont draw your attention from. Probably less of a problem in a strait read thrue. Though not complete, it offers some fun and action. A recomended reading for the D&D style combat log in one of the later chapters alone! Critical Strike!
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:46 am

Strat, who 'blatantly stole' from me wrote:Okay. Skaarj had a good idea with his Ranma reccomendation thread, but Ranma isn't the be all and end all of the fanfic universe.
I've noticed that in even in General Reccomendation threads on this forum there are very few Non-Ranma/Naruto/Harry Potter fics. So I decided to beg borrow and steal (mostly steal) from Skaarj's thread.

Nice to know I can give people inspiration. Here's my contribution;
Name - Neon Genesis: Goddess
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/991318/1/
Type - Action/Drama/Romance
Series - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Crossover - Aa! Megami-sama
Description - Belldandy and Keichii's daughter joins NERV as one of the pilots, trying to help them save the world and perhaps find out what happened to her parents when they went missing a decade before.
Reason for Recommendation - I don't often read non-Ranma fics, but this is one that caught my attention. Interesting premise on the origin of the 'Angels', and a much better ending than the EVA series/movies. Plus, Gendo finally gets what he deserves :twisted:
Extra Note: By the way Strat, when you blatantly steal from me, try not to steal too much;
Strat copying from me wrote:Crossover - List any additional series here (unless it's pure Ranma, in which case just put "none")
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby Manzikert » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:47 pm

Name – The Rift
Link - http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=68385
Type - Action/Drama
Crossover – Star Wars (with elements from multiple time periods) / Star Trek / Star Craft / Halo
Description – The Rift is a long well written fic that manages to integrate such disperate elements together into a whole with reasonably accurate power levels for all sides. The fic starts out when the Enterprise accidentally beams 5 people up threw a rift: the Master Chief, the Arbitor, Jacen Solo, Aayla Secura, and Tassadar.
The Enterprise is forced into the rift and finds itself in the Star Wars galaxy shortly before the battle over Endor during Return of the Jedi. Contact with the crew of the Enterprise and their guests causes things to go badly for the rebellion. There are already several space battles, boarding operations, several desperate escapes, and a confrontation between Tassadar and Darth Vader.
At first some of the characters seem unnecessary, why is the Master Chief in what appears to be a mainly Star Trek / Star Wars crossover, but eventually the characters all become very important to the story.
Reason for Recommendation: Its well written, long, has good characterization, and things change in a believable way when different things happen than occurred during cannon Star Wars. Fans of any of the above series, or anyone who likes stories with a good plot and plenty of action, will like this fic.
Manzikert
Senshi Candidate

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:39 pm

Name: The Shape of Things to Come
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/106737/ (Note 1)
Type: Continuation/Comedy/Adventure/Romance (just a dash)
Series: El-Hazard: The Magnificent World
Description: Makoto finally retrieves Ifurita from Earth as seen at the end of the first OAV but as they return to El-Hazard they accidenatally pull two strangers along with them. One of them is Mari Kurai is a classmate of Nanami and Makoto, the other, Sakura Tamano is Japan's Favourite Solo Artist (at least according to her). Their arrival in El-Hazard and the discovery of an ancient prophecy precipitate events that send El-Hazard spiralling into chaos once more (though not without a good deal of tongue-in-cheek humour along the way.)
Reason for Recommendation: Like several fandoms there's very litte in the way of fanfiction out there for El-Hazard and I would have to classify this as one of the best. It's got a good grip on the mix of comedic and dramatic elements that made the OAV such a fun experience in the first place. It's also complete which is a bonus.
Note 1: Link is to the author profile, not the story directly since the reccomended fic ties in with another of the author's works 'The Adventures of Allielle and Fatora' which is best read first.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:23 pm

Name: It Finally Happened
Type: Romance
Series: Kim Possible
Description: First days of Kim and Ron together as a couple continuing immedaiately after Kim Possible: So the Drama
Reason for Recommendation - A very well written and long Kim possible story that uses many things from the cartoon. This is the prequil to Commander Argus other works. Commander Argus has written a large number of interconnecting Kim Possible stories most of which are pretty long 10-48 chapters and uses pretty much everything that's been in the cartoon.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:53 pm

Name - Kumiko the Demon Girl
Link - http://www.thekeep.org/~amm/fiction.htm
http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=103019
Type - Adventure/Romance/Comedy
Series - Original
Crossover - Original
Description - A typical dateless student encounters a magical girl, this on a demon sent to eat his soul. Warning: Lemon and Lime scenes
Reason for Recommendation - Ammadeau/Roy Fokker 's typical high level of grammar and wordsmithing as well as a few twists wrings new life out of what in less skilled hands would be just another pastiche of the entire Magical Girl romance.
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Next

Return to Fiction Discussion