The Very Best in Fics From Overlooked Series

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

Postby Screwball » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:35 am

Manzikert wrote:Name – The Rift
Link - http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=68385

An SDN denizen I see.
For my reccomendation:
Name- Journeyverse
Link
Type- Action/Adventure
Crossover- Lots. BTVS with SG1, Charmed, Highlander, Hercules, Aliens vs Predator, various cameo appearances, and more that I can't remember off the top of my head.
Description- Xander gets abducted by a Yautja on his road trip, taking a sentient magic weapon with him. Things get more complicated from there...
Reason for reccomendation- This thing is huge, and entertaining. It's well written, and although it does strain credibility a bit at some points it generally does a good job of integrating all the various universes together. The story behind it is also fairly entertaining, and there are a fair few bits of humour as well. People who like sci fi, BTVS style fantasy, or lost ancient civilistaions will like it.
After careful study of Number One's biographic work My Ceaseless Quest to Conquer Earth and Destroy its Puny Inhabitants, we have come to the conclusion that the Ghast Empire may well be up to something rum.
Screwball
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Manzikert » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:13 pm

Screwball wrote:An SDN denizen I see.
For my reccomendation:
Name- Journeyverse
Link
Type- Action/Adventure
Crossover- Lots. BTVS with SG1, Charmed, Highlander, Hercules, Aliens vs Predator, various cameo appearances, and more that I can't remember off the top of my head.
Description- Xander gets abducted by a Yautja on his road trip, taking a sentient magic weapon with him. Things get more complicated from there...
Reason for reccomendation- This thing is huge, and entertaining. It's well written, and although it does strain credibility a bit at some points it generally does a good job of integrating all the various universes together. The story behind it is also fairly entertaining, and there are a fair few bits of humour as well. People who like sci fi, BTVS style fantasy, or lost ancient civilistaions will like it.

I go to SDN mostly for the fics and the Other Sci-Fi section. Good stuff. Though I do like The Rift better than Starcrossed, which makes me a little odd.
I read through the Journey verse stuff and good god did that take a long time, easily more than a week. Like you said it’s a bit iffy in parts but still a good read. Of his multi crossovers I prefer Seal Team 13. It’s newer and I think better written. I haven’t noticed anything being off even a bit like in the Journey Verse.
All of Tenhawks new stuff is great. Even his Star Treck: Voyager AU is great.
Name – Seal Team 13
Link - http://www.grandt.com/th_presents/team13.html Updates on his Yahoo Group.
Type - Action/Drama
Crossover – Big multi crossover with BTVS / JAG / Tom Clancy / Stargate and many more.
Description – President Jack Ryan tasks Former Navy Seal Admiral A. J. Chegwidden with forming a team to combat the supernatural after the Navy losses a destroyer to decidedly unnatural means. To do this he needs a consultant whose familiar with the supernatural. He hires Xander Harris.
The style of the story is very Tom Clancy, Larry Bondish.
Reason for Recommendation: Good techno thriller style action with effective use of jargon. The author can write story with the military in it and not look like an idiot. One of the best parts of the story is the character development with Faith and her interaction with the other characters and how that changes over the course of the story as she slowly becomes a member of the team. In my mind it also gets a thumbs up for being a story with mini Jack from Stargate in it. The whole mind of a 50 year old suddenly in the body of a teenager thing is interesting when Disney isn’t doing it. :)
Manzikert
Senshi Candidate

Postby Light02 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:26 pm

oh Mini-Jack is back....a definate plus.
Light, The New Avatar of Chaos
Light02
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SoftRogue » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:29 pm

One of my personal fav's...
Name - Children of an Elder God
Link - http://www.thekeep.org/~rpm/eva/coaeg.html
Type - Action/Dark
Series - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Crossover - H.P. Lovecraft
Description - September 13, 2000. The event know as Second Impact changed the world forever. The event that is widely believed to have been caused by a meteor crashing into Antarticia was, in fact, something much more...sinister. Now, 14 years later, the orginzation known as NERV is gathering the Children together as humanities last hope...or its destruction.
Reason for Recommendation - Durning the 1920's, author H.P. Lovecraft created a series of supernatural horror stories that have been been expanded upon by many authors that is collectively known as 'Cthulhu Mythos'. Dark, foreboding, and bordering on the bring between terron and insanity; the world that was createded by the 'Cthuhu Mythos' becomes the backdrop for the world of Evangelion.
However, what reallly brings this story together is the characterisation of our regular cast. Each of the characters are well rounded and believable. Shinji is more that just a whimp in desprate need of a spine; Asuka is more that just the 'red-headed devil'; Gendo is more than just a compleat scheeming asshole; and Rei, well...Rei will scare the shit out of you.
SoftRogue
Senshi Candidate

Postby stratagemini » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Name - Fist of the Necoconeco
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2241434/1/
Type - Action/Comedy/Sorta Romance like in Azumanga Daioh
Series - Azumanga Daioh
Crossover - Cromartie High School makes an appearance for a second.
Description - Poor Sakaki's life gets turned into a bad shônen fighting manga! A divergence from the beginning of senior year. Sakaki ends up a martial arts master, despite her best efforts to the contrary.
Reason for Recommendation - It's Azumanga Daioh like you've seen it before, but with 150% of the funny! Secretive martial arts masters, A view of what exactly Kaorin's thinking, more Love Wife Bentos and all the hilarity of the original, now with crazy martial arts mayhem.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby mondu_the_fat » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:00 pm

Definitely a funny fic, but I liked the older versions of that fic better. It had Sakaki more clueless about what she was doing.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby stratagemini » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:41 pm

Okay. Here's the thing, no one seems to be posting Reccs, so I guess I need to fill up the slack.
Name - Magical Girl Hunters
Link - http://www.improfanfic.com/mgh/
Type - Action/Comedy
Series - Original
Crossover - H.P. Lovecraft
Description - There are way too many Magical Girls out there in the world. Everyone knows that. In come our Heroes, The Magical Girl Hunters for hire. Two men with a mission, a purpose, and a lot of guns. Along the way they pick up such notables as Sailor H, and well... I really shouldn't give any more away.
Reason for Recommendation - Possibly the funniest parody of Magical Girl fics ever. And you know you want to see what sort of mischief these crusaders for "Balance" will get up to. It's complete too.
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby stratagemini » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:02 pm

Name - Inner Demons Phase One: Rising Shadow
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1524630/18/
Type - Action/Adventure/Dark
Series - Digimon Tamers
Crossover - None
Description - Instead of Guilmon Takoto ens up with Impmon as a partner, but there's more to it than meets the eye. In a world where Tamers are linked so closely with their partners that they share physical damage, in a world where the Tamers are a bit more powerful and the enemies endlessly more cunning, how is Takato going to survive?
Reason for Recommendation - Of all the alterverses I've seen this is one of the best. It changes the entire dynamic for evolution and card slashing in Tamers,it changes the entire character of Takato due to teh fact that Impmon influences him in a different way than Guilmon. And as a bonus it's descriptive enough that you don't need to know anything about the original series to enjoy it. This story takes a much darker tone, and diverges radically almost right from the start with the changes piling up as the story continues.
In a genre where the standard practice is to allow a butterfly to flap it's wings and see what happens this fic is what happens if a flock of Albatrosses got involved with a hurricane thrown in for fun. It's still updating but there are only a few chapters left until this particular fic is completed and then onto the sequel.
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby crystlshake » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:40 pm

Name - Hinata's Realization
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2643832/1/
Type - Action/Romance
Series - Naruto
Crossover - None
Description - Naruto, Hinata, Sakura, and Shikamaru are given a mission that could be the start of a hidden war.
Reason for Recommendation - A unique foray into the characters by creating an adventure that fits into the original storyline but causes little divergence. Kind of a side story extra mission kind of thing. A sequal to Lonely Birthday which follows a similar pattern (but is more of a normal day endeavor than an adventure) this pair of stories is enjoyable primarily for its character building. Reading Lonely Birthday isnt a requirement for enjoying this story but it does add an additional layer of history to the relevant characters.
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby stratagemini » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:08 am

Thank you for your post, but next time read the rules for the thread, I specifically stated non-naruto in the second sentence it's not that Naruto fics are bad, they just aren't "overlooked". Come to think of it you posted a Harry Potter fic too earlier that I didn't catch at the time, so I guess it's sort of my fault.
You might want to create a new thread for Naruto reccomendations if you really want to post Naruto stuff.
And to make sure the Mods don't kill me for being slightly off topic, here's another fic!
Name - Spiderman: Reborn
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1363189/1/
Type - Action/Adventure/Dark
Series - Spiderman
Crossover - None
Description - A retooling of the Spider-man mythos in which Aunt May Dies instead of Uncle Ben. A reenvisioning of key characters and lots of fun (and dark stuff) for all ages (that can read).
Reason for Recommendation - It's interesting. It starts off intruiging and gets more so. It's complete. The Author's style gets better as it goes along, and it's really a rather fun fic. It stays true to teh original Spider-man in feeling too. Read it, you might like it.
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Manzikert » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:38 pm

This thread is supposed to be about overlooked series and since Saotome Gambit has come up recently maybe a good Battletech story would be appreciated. In depth knowledge of the Battletech universe is not required it just helps. :)
Name – Kowloon or Ngo series whatever you want to call it.
Link – Rewrite:
Standards and Decisions: http://forums.classicbattletech.com/ind ... 243.0.html
Awards and Rewards: http://forums.classicbattletech.com/ind ... 746.0.html Very grim stuff
For the Liberty of Others (Kowloon unit defends planet from assault by the Jade Falcons): http://forums.classicbattletech.com/ind ... 975.0.html
Kowloon Overview: http://forums.classicbattletech.com/ind ... 666.0.html
One Fine Day at the Tridee Studio: http://forums.classicbattletech.com/ind ... 732.0.html

Type - action
Crossover – none
Description – Chronicles the story of the planet Kowloon and its rulers the Ngos through a series of stories. Very gritty, even dark in places. The rewrite is making the series quite a bit more believable. The stories I have linked to here are set in the Lyran Commonwealth during the Word of Blake Jihad. The rewrite begins with militia soldiers from Kowloon being conscripted, federalized, and sent to the front in a desperate effort to stem the tide of the advancing Jade Falcons and Word of Blake. To the troops of the new ersatz regiments defeat at the hands of the Jade Falcons means virtual slavery and from WoB the best they can expect is a reeducation camp. Retreat is not an option. The only way they are ever going to see their homes again is by using any and all means at their disposal to defeat those that stand in between them and their families.

Reason for Recommendation: The bad guys in this series are smart and capable. Some of the good guys are, well, quite literally, crazy as hell. Elizabeth Ngo I am looking at you. Her character is defiantly improved with the rewrite, more interesting. The culture clash between the people of Kowloon, the Jade Falcons, and even their fellow countrymen are interesting and sometimes funny.
I figured that there would be less interest in this than a Bezerk/Full Metal Alchemist crossover. ;)
Manzikert
Senshi Candidate

Postby Siden » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:21 pm

*drops out of LURK mode*
Manzikert wrote:This thread is supposed to be about overlooked series and since Saotome Gambit has come up recently maybe a good Battletech story would be appreciated. In depth knowledge of the Battletech universe is not required it just helps.

Another Battletecher? Now that's a pleasant surprise.
Cannonshop is a good writer, like his stories. Have you read Brainburner's "What have we done........"
As to The Soatome Gambit, I have a site bookmarked that has up to chaoter 26, but I'll have to go looking for the last few chapters. I saved them from somewhere, but I never kept the site address.
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Manzikert » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:00 pm

Siden wrote:Cannonshop is a good writer, like his stories. Have you read Brainburner's "What have we done........"
No, I haven't read it yet, it looks great.
Check http://web.archive.org/web/200410150733 ... /jamie.htm for the rest of the Soatome Gambit chapters.
Manzikert
Senshi Candidate

Postby Siden » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:04 am

So that's where the last few chapters were hiding. Thanks :)
Employed by Lady Bliss.
True Neutral, "Pure Neutral", "Balancer"
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

"The Greatest Gatsby" by red-tenko

Postby pspinler » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:25 am

Back to the original purpose of this thread, here's my contribution:
Name - "The Greatest Gatsby" by red-tenko
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1292064/1/
Type - Action/Adventure/Romance
Series - Cowboy Bebop
Crossover - n/a
Description - The author's summary is: A different style of Bebop fic, and a different kind of SxF. A year after RFB Faye finds a job, but her boss is obsessed with finding out who killed the Red Dragons and Faye is dragged right back to her past
Reason for Recommendation - In addition to the excellent writing, I really like the way the author presents the story from the viewpoint of a non-central character, sucked into the events spiraling around her. Additionally, I find the main character's characterizations and actions very believable. A darn good read overall.
pspinler
Senshi Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Fiction Discussion