The Very Best in Fics From Overlooked Series

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

Postby Steiner » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:36 pm

Well, time for me to recommend something here (lest people think I am "just" insane and unable to contribute. I am both, hear me!)
Name - White Knight, Grey Queen
Link - Jeconais' WKGQ Page
Type - Romance/Action
Series - Harry Potter
Crossover - None I spotted
Description - What is good? What is evil? And what can change the nature of a man, or a family?
Jeconais' tale of trust, change and plotting comes together to one of the best HP fics, if not the best, I've read in the past three years.
Original Description -
"When Pansy finds herself on the wrong side of Voldemort, she persuades her parents that only one person could help them. Harry. A story that looks at what could happen if Harry had someone who loved him, someone who would push him, and someone who would back him financially."

Reason for Recommendation - Simply put, WKGQ is a work of genius. Jeconais is amongst the best FanFiction authors I've ever had the pleasure to read the works of. WKGQ continually eggs the reader on to "just read that paragraph" before doing something else, but unfortunately after finishing that paragraph, you wish to read the next one too...
:x
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever." - O'Brien
Steiner
Senshi Candidate

Postby runnerz » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:10 am

Divided Destiny, by Scott "Cyclops" Summerton
link- http://www.sailorjupiter.com/Cyclops/Di ... index.html
Description- Makoto and her best friend Ken switch bodies all of a sudden for no apparent reason. This fic is a little bit confusing at times, but gets my reccomendation for it's unique idea and the fact that it's finished. This site also has another of my favorite fics in it's original version, Mercury Twilight by KingofMercury.
runnerz
Senshi Cadet

Postby Akuma-sama » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:46 pm

After seeing this thread, I just have to post my own contribution:

Name - Windfall (Series) by Ysabet
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/400182/1/ (This is the first part of the series, The Window)
Type - Suspense/Mystery
Series - Detective Conan/Case Closed
Crossover - None

Description - It's time to take off the masks. On the aniversary of that fateful day when Shinichi became Conan, the teen-turned-boy decides to tell everything the one he loves. Unfortunately, Ai saw right through him, and has a plan of her own...

Reason for Recommendation - This is, to be honest, the number one, greatest Detective Conan fanfic of all times. Knowledge of Detective Conan isn't even needed to enjoy it, and I recommend everyone to click that link and get ready for a long, long and very awesome read. Ysabet's style is great, the humor is just as great and witty, the plot bounces around more than Usagi on a sugar high... there is honestly nothing I can say about this series except that they are a MUST READ.

(Also from her, Conversations among Ghosts (Detective Conan) and Shuffle (Detective Conan/YuGiOh) are good reads as well)
Akuma-sama
Senshi Cadet

Postby Comartemis » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:09 pm

I found this old dinosaur while I was browsing through the old threads and I thought I'd rez it in case anyone's found new fics they'd like to recommend.

Name: The Soul Lights Continuum
Link: http://www.catstrio.de/
Author: Mysticmew
Type: Action/Drama/Romance/Shoujo Ai
Series: Sailor Moon
Crossover: Cardcaptor Sakura, Slayers, Inuyasha, Tenchi Muyo, Escaflowne. There's also supposed to be some Magic Knights Rayearth and Ranma 1/2 in upcoming chapters.

Description: In 2001, Earth is invaded and conquered by a malevolent entity known as Pandora. The last words of Daidouji Tomoyo speak of her love for Sakura, one that has gone unnoticed for years. With nothing left to lose, Sakura takes an enormous gamble and unseals the Time card, travelling back in time to live out her life with Tomoyo instead of Syaoran and try to stop Pandora by finding the other two Forbidden Cards, Love and Silence. In the process, the girls will uncover power unlike anything they could've imagined, and change history.

But the initial battle with Pandora is only a stalling action, an attempt to delay her awakening. To destroy Pandora once and for all, Sakura and Tomoyo will need the aid of powerful allies...

Soul Lights handles the burden of being a megacross wonderfully, more so than any I've ever read. The crossovers are handled completely naturally, no alternate dimensions needed; even the integration of the Slayers characters is utterly flawless. Rather than dumping all the characters in your lap at once, Soul Lights spreads them out through a series of shorter stories that make up the continuum.

'The Forbidden Cards' starts the whole thing off with the CCS and Slayers characters, then Rei, Sasami/Tsunami, Hitomi, Kagome and Sango make their debuts in 'Miko Love'. The other Senshi make their appearances in the main event, 'Foreshadowed Dusk', which focuses on a three-way romance between Makoto, Minako, and Hotaru, but the other characters begin to make cameo appearances at this point, leading up to 'Clouded Stars', the interlude between Foreshadowed Dusk and the final battle with Pandora, which has yet to be written. It's been two years since Mew updated, but I hold out hope that he'll come back and finish this epic.

Oh, and there's a few lemon side stories thrown in for good measure. :D
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Atlan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:50 am

Name: Resurrecting the Red
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2566419/1/R ... ng_the_Red
Author: Lady Jaye1
Series: Justice League Unlimited/Batman Beyond
Note: I would not call this a crossover, as Batman Beyond is set 40 years after Justice League Unlimited, and the two have featured each others cast from time to time
Description:
It's been 50 years since Wally West, the Flash, died, dissapearing into the Speed Force. It's been 50 years since gorilla Grodd hunted down and killed his daughter, Iris West. 20 years since Bruce Wane retired from the post of Batman.

And it's been a coupple of years since Terry McGinnis took up the role of Batman, protecting Gotham City.

But now, David Kae, the grandson of Wally West, has moved to Gotham City. David, hidden as a baby from assanation from Grodd, is now a young adult. David, the fastest man alive...

Reason for recomendation: It's my all time favourite Justice League Fic. Bruce, Terry and all the crowd are in charecter, and David is exactly what you'd expect from a grandson of Wally- alike, but not too alike.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Re: The Very Best in Fics From Overlooked Series

Postby CJN » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:29 am

Well, the series isn't really overlooked, but this fic is:

Name - The Price of the Wish
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/94924/1/The_Price_of_the_Wish
Type - Action/Adventure/Drama/Dark
Series - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Crossover - none
Description - "Cordelia thinks before she wishes, and makes everyone's life even more interesting" This is NOT the normal Buffy wish-verse.
Reason for Recommendation - One of the best written fanfics I have ever read. It's nearly at CoaEG level of quality.
CJN
Senshi Cadet

Re: The Very Best in Fics From Overlooked Series

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:08 am

CJN wrote:Well, the series isn't really overlooked, but this fic is:

Name - The Price of the Wish
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/94924/1/The_Price_of_the_Wish
Type - Action/Adventure/Drama/Dark
Series - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Crossover - none
Description - "Cordelia thinks before she wishes, and makes everyone's life even more interesting" This is NOT the normal Buffy wish-verse.
Reason for Recommendation - One of the best written fanfics I have ever read. It's nearly at CoaEG level of quality.

I just finished this. Excellent characterization to Cordelia. I enjoyed the dialogue, internal monologues, and humor immensely.

I have two gripes about it: 1) action scenes were confusing, and I'd often go "where the hell did that character come from, he wasn't there a paragraph ago!". 2) Insanely powerful characters. I'm talking about the members of the Watcher's council giving saiyans a decent workout level of power here.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Muramasa » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:47 am

Title: 'Black Legacies' By Shade Strife

Series: Legend of Dragoon

Type: Adventure/Drama

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1012628/1/Black_Legacies

Description:

A continuation of Legend of Dragoon going on the assumption that the destruction of the moon did not stop the endless cycle of destruction between the 'Black Monster' and the 'Moon Child'. The cycles continue and Rose isn't around to stop the end of the world this time. Eight years later and Dart's wife Shana dies of a mysterious illness. Shortly after, he discovers his dragoon spirit is in fact sentient and has been given a task between him and his chosen dragoon. To replace Rose as the new 'Black Monster'

Reason for nomination:

I consider this fic one of the closest stories to achieving a perfect balance between character and plot developement. Dart's transformation from the person he was at the end of Legend of Dragoon to this new identity is spotless and down right fun to read. The OC's are very well fleshed out and don't scream Gary Stu at all. Right from the beginning you can't help but think of the 58 chapters of flat out 'awesome!' this story hits you with. Sadly it's unfinished and the author has all but abandoned it.
Muramasa
Senshi Cadet

Postby Metroidvania » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:04 am

Title: In a Handbasket

Series: South of Nowhere (Yes, I'm aware you've probably never heard of it)

Type: Drama/Romance Shoujoai/femmeslash

Link: Here

Description: Even without knowing the background to South of Nowhere, (which can be easily remedied with a wiki,) this AU fic easily stands out on its own. It's a girl who meets a girl...then hooks said girl up with her brother, despite her growing feelings...and then what happens afterward. Really, I can't do it justice.

Reason for Recommendation: Superb narration, a series of flashbacks and present that manages to keep cohesiveness better than any I've ever seen, and _really_ being able to play off someone's emotions, I can honestly say this is one of the few fics who've actually conveyed emotion to me like I know it should. Just read it, you won't be disappointed.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby stratagemini » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Name - Thick As Thieves
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/547730/1/Thick_as_Thieves
Type - Action/Adventure/Drama/Romance
Series - X-Men
Description - Bobby Drake a.k.a. Iceman never liked Gambit. That changes one day when he follows Gambit into a club and meets a woman. Now He needs Gambit's help to get Close to the woman, he needs to be trained as a thief.
Reason for Recommendation - First off the story is complete, with a sequel that really is a sequel and not just a continuation of the same story. The romance angle is well written, and so are the troubles Bobby and Gambit get into. Intrigue abounds. The characterization is spot on and the characters grow realistically. The fight scenes are really well written, as are the thieving scenes. You don't need any Knowledge of X-Men to get into it because it's very well described and outlined. And finally the story sucks you in so that you don't want to stop reading.

A Must Read. The best Marvel Story I've read since The Shocker: Legit.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby stratagemini » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:07 pm

Name - Living Ghost
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2583007/1/Living_Ghost
Type - Action/Adventure
Series - Danny Phantom
Crossover - Animorphs
Description - Tobias is somewhat Depressed after the end of Animorphs, he's come back to earth after a short journey and found that no one remembers any of what happened, not even his friends. Lacking any support he wants to talk to the only person he knows remembers. Unfortunately she's dead.

Thus Begins Tobias's involvement into Danny Phantom. The story very quickly turns into an action adventure filled with misunderstandings, epic battles, and deception.

Reason for Recommendation - This is one of the longest stories I've seen on FF.Net at 677,560 words and aside from some minor spelling errors due to spell check, each and every one of those words is excellent. The story changes a lot, moving from a quest for a dead girlfriend into something entirely different and far more awesome. Some basic knowledge of Animorphs is needed, but no more than one or two articles on Wikipedia. No knowledge of Danny Phantom Needed.

This is a Truely EPIC story, in every sense of the word, it does almost everything right. Characterization is good, and you feel like the characters are real people struggling against their problems. Problems which aren't and can't be solved instantly. The fight scenes are cool, and despite being set in the Danny Phantom timeline it definitely doesn't rehash Danny Phantom. If Danny phantom is even Half as epic and awesome as this story makes it seem, then it has to be the best thing ever released for T.V. (it's probably not even near half as epic or awesome as the fic makes it out to be). Go read this. Now.
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby stratagemini » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Name - Onegai, Megami-Sama
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1338658/1/O ... egami-Sama
Type - Humor/Drama/Romance
Series - Oh! My Goddess!
Crossover - Onegai Teacher!
Description - When Matagu dials a wrong number and Peorth answers, he knows what his wish is. But things almost never go as they're supposed to, especially around goddesses, demons, and half-aliens.

Reason for Recommendation - A fun fic with a Wish Gone Wrong. It's complete, and sort of short at a bit over 60,000 words. I'm recommending it because it's excellent writing, the story is enthralling, and it's fun. It's like reading another season of Please! Teacher. If you liked either series you'll like this.
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Atlan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:23 pm

Name - "More Than Just a Pretty Face" by Nobody Fiction
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3555964/1/M ... retty_Face
Type - Humor/Drama
Series - Pretty Face
Crossover - n/a
Description - In Pretty Face, Randoh, the baddest badass in school was burned almost to death in a car accident. Waking up a year later, his pervy plastic surgeon had reconstructed his face- in the image of the girl Randoh loved! Now, he has to live with the girl of his dreams, while pretending to be her long lost twin sister, while he searches for the real missing sister! The fact that he has something no girl sould have only makes his secret hard to keep...

But in this fic, Randoh was so badly burned that his manhood was gone altogther, unreparable by sergery. Now female, his body filled with estrogin, Randoh has to deal with the fact that he's not a man on the outside any more- and he may not be on the inside, either...

Reason for Recommendation - The origional manga was fun, and this is a very good AU. With the only changes being Randoh is less aggressive, and doesnt have to wory about an incriminating bulge in his swimsuit, the author still manages to tell an origional and entertaining story.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Siden » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Name - Hunting goblins for fun and profit
Author - sailor gaav
Status - Completed
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/376362/1/
Type - Humor
Series - Record of Lodoss War
Crossover - n/a
Description - Takes place on the middle of the OAV. On the way to Wort's tower, the group encounters a village that is less than
cooperative.

Not a bad fic. Some knowledge of RoLW is required to fully understand some things, but is still enjoyable without knowledge of the series. Focuses mostly on Slayn, Etoh, and Woodchuck.

Name - The GPub
Author - RPGZero
Status - Dead
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1322347/1/
Type - Humor
Series - Gundam (various)
Crossover - Some Cameos
Description - a humor fanfic covering all the series of Gundam and uses the characters of each series and manga . . . or at least tries to. The G-Pub was influenced on the forums at the GameFAQs website, where a bunch of us got together and began writing up little scenarios that just so happened to take place in a bar. Each were fairly short and didn't have much of a point. The challenge here, is that we take pieces of each one and are making a large attempt to compile them into one large ongoing story.

Pure mindless comedy, a must for Gundam fans.
Employed by Lady Bliss.
True Neutral, "Pure Neutral", "Balancer"
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:14 pm

Atlan wrote:Name - "More Than Just a Pretty Face" by Nobody Fiction
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3555964/1/M ... retty_Face

[snip]

Reason for Recommendation - The origional manga was fun, and this is a very good AU. With the only changes being Randoh is less aggressive, and doesnt have to wory about an incriminating bulge in his swimsuit, the author still manages to tell an origional and entertaining story.

I tried reading this, and gave up - NObody this side of Superman is going to lie in a coma for a solid year, then be lucid immediately upon waking. Don't even think of them walking out the door to start hunting down the past year. Months of physical therapy, there.

I suppose I'll try again, but it better improve pretty face, er, fast.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

PreviousNext

Return to Fiction Discussion