Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction Recommendations

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction Recommendations

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:57 pm

I'm sure that pretty much all of you have fics based on Ranma 1/2 that you'd like to recommend to others. So this little thread was started with the idea of getting those recommendations across to people.
The rules to this are simple.
1) Only one fic allowed per post.
2) Make sure that the fic you are posting about hasn't already been talked about here (this seems to be common problem amoungst the other "fic list" threads).
3) All fics posted here must be still hosted somewhere on the web. We don't want people to get really interested in a fic from the description of it only to find out that it's no longer available.
4) You must follow this basic layout;
Name - Name of the fic
Link - A link to where the fic can be found
Type - Action/Adventure/Drama/Dark/Romance/Comedy (delete as applicable)
Crossover - List any additional series here (unless it's pure Ranma, in which case just put "none")
Description - Here's where you tell us what the fic's about. A few lines is okay, but don't go overboard and type up loads of paragraphs, that'd just put people off of reading your post.
Reason for Recommendation - Give a little reason why you think the fic is good enough for other people to like it. Again, as above, don't overdo it with huge amounts of text.
That said, here's the first contribution to the topic, one that doesn't seem as well known as most, but is still a great story...
Name: High Flight
Link: http://ranmafics.com/High_Flight/highflight.txt
Type: Adventure/Drama (I actually wasn't too sure on this one ^_^;)
Crossover: Gold Digger, A-team
Description: Kasumi gets sent a letter regarding a trust fund her mother set up for her before she passed away. Kasumi follows her mother's advice in the letter and does something for herself... she learns to fly Aerobatic airplanes, with the help of Kevin "Ace" Koss and Mack "Howlin' Mad" Murdock.
Reason for Recommendation: Apart from being a well written story (which helps greatly influence whether I like it or not), what really sets this apart from the rest is that it doesn't focus on any of the bigger players in Nerima, the star of the fic is Kasumi. And it does a great job of giving her a dream and allowing her to fulfill it, without going anywhere near the stereotypical Doctor or Nurse idea used in almost all other fics.
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Re: Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction Recommendations

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:32 pm

Name - Pagliacci
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1363583/1/
Type - Comedy
Crossover - multiple/none (multiple series appear, but they're mostly cameos)
Description - Gosunkugi dunks himself in "The Spring of the Drowned Harlequin Romance Novel Stud"
Reason for Recommendation - A rather unique and funny take on the Ranma universe and Jusenkyo, featuring some of its lesser known characters. Decently written, even if the author goes overboard with the cameos.
I found it particularly funny because there are several _hundred_ such romance books at home, thanks to my mother and sister.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Atlan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:46 am

Name: The Shaddow Chronicles
Link: http://www.shadowchronicles.net/
Type: Drama/Action/Romance
Crossover: None (part 1,2,3,4) Sailor moon and very minor Oh My Goddess (part 5)
Description: In a fight against Ryoga, Akane amost gets killed. The person turns out to be... RANMA? This Ranma comes from another dimension, where he watched as demons destroyed the world, and killed everyone he cared about.
The first arc of the series deals with Ranma and his twin from another world (for conveaneance, called Ranko). The second, third and fourth arcs deal with Ranma exclusivly, and the fith deals with Ranko.
Reason for Recommendation: This is the best written story i've ever come accross. It manages to deliever consistant, 3D charecters instead of the normal 2D ones that most fics have. It also avoids the huge fic cleiches that torment fanfiction. And last but not least- It was started in 1997, and is still being worked on and updated!
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:49 am

Name: 'Comes the Cold Dragon' by Don Granberry
Link: http://www.iamnota.net/doku.php?id=ff:c ... old_dragon
Type - Action/Drama/Dark/Romance/Comedy (Of somewhat epic proportions all of these are covered in various sections as well as several lemon chapters)
Crossover: 'Big Trouble in Little China' and 'Indiana Jones' but they're really minor cameos and if you don't know them they're easy to miss.
Description: A somewhat epic attempt at a continuation that chronicles the repurcusions to Ranma and Akane's relationship from the failed wedding attempt as the deeper consequences of Ranma's phenomonal growth as a martial artist and his defeat of Saffron come to light.
Reason for Recommendation: As mentioned its of rather epic length (over 1200 pages according to Rakhal) and while some of the more recent chapters seem to have lost the story thread a little the earlier chapters still have a very solid story while still wandering over the place to create a hugely realised and in depth world and a great reading experience.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Metroidvania » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:53 am

Name: Fate, by Red Menace a.k.a. PansutoTarou5925
Link: Here
Type: Adventure/Drama
Crossover: Oh My Goddess
Description: A very interesting story set in both the future of Ranma and OMG!, where some very interesting things have happened to Ranma. It also deals with "Ranma's" daughter, and just how the daughter is different than normal people.....and her day to day life with the next generation of Nerima and Nekomi.
Reason for Recommendation: First off, yes, it's a Ranma's locked fic, at least, so far, but I will say, since you find out in the first chapter or so, that Ranma's _NOT_ the mother.
Secondly, Although it has one or two cliché ideas, Fate has been if not the best, then right up there with them of my Ranma/OMG crossover readings. The two are blended very well, and the author successfully manages to keep implementing original ideas. It's still in progress, with the most recent update being March of '06. (Which will hopefully be updated again soon.)
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Name: 'Girl Days' by Robert Haynie Jr aka Kenko
Link: http://www.knology.net/~kenjiko2/Textfile.html (along with most of the other works)
Type: Comedy
Crossover : None (well as long as you don't treat the costume party arc as crossovers).
Description: Nodoka convinces Ranma that since a cure for his curse won't be turning up any time soon that he should learn to come to terms with his feminine half by spending two months straight in his female form. Ranma eventually agrees. Silliness ensues.
Reason for Recommendation: Not only is it one of the best 'Ranma remains in female form for an extended period of time' fics I've had the pleasure of reading but Kenko's rather off-beat sense of humour is actually quite close to the style of the original series.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Tuisto » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:15 pm

Name: " Ranmachan: Genie of the ring! "
Linkipooh: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3058621/1/
Mostly a action/drama/budding romance thing.
And as far as crossovers go... there's a 'smidge' of Cutey-Honey in there. Otherwise it's all Ranma1/2 with a twist of course.
Description from ff.net: "A strange gold ring is mailed to Ranma by the Jusenkyo guide. When Ranma gets splashed she vanishes! It turns out that Ranma's female form has turned into a genie! She can grant wishes and do all sorts of amazing things but there's a price. Her Freedom."
Reasons, reasons?: Well, It's really quite original and good, there are VERY few fics that blur the Ranma-verse in such a way. In fact the only other one that's any good is by G.Kleppe. Well anyways, basically Ranma is a cursed to be a female genie, and the story runs with that. Basically I liked it enough to, how should I say, 'kiss ass' the original author so that I could continue it as he lost interest. And I wouldn't have offered that unless it was worth it. Though, as it stands now it is unfinished and a cliffhangar. BUT, I'm working on wrappping it all up nice and neat.
Well, there's my 2 cents
Tuisto
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby stratagemini » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:46 pm

Okay, I'm going to stray a bit from my normal reccomendations (stuff by popular authors like Carrotglace, Trimatter, WFROSE, N. Reynolds, and Ozzallos) And go out on a limb with this one.
Name - A Stained Glass Mind
Link - http://www.fanfic.net/pub/Anime/FanFict ... ss-mind.gz
Also Available on Rakhal's Index.
Type - Action/Drama/Dark/Romance
Crossover - None
Description - Basically Ranma's mind fractures during teh Neko-ken leaving him with a condition similar to Disassociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder). He gets training from Genma's Sister to function normally in society, and Genma decides to take him to Nerima to meet the Tendos.
Reason for Recommendation - this isn't another "Ranma gets a temporary setback that alows him to become the most powerful man in the universe" fic. In this story all the characters are treated seriously, Ranma's problem is treated seriously, and even the personalities come alive.
The story is bittersweet through the entire fic, the original characters are great, and the story itself is sort of moving. There's also a good deal of fun fight scenes. There's something for everyone in this story, so go read it.
It's complete too, so don't use that as an excuse. Also it's worth looking at other works of his like the spamfic "The Onna-ken".
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Steiner » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:15 pm

Name - Relentless
Link - Those that seek to read it shall find it here
Type - Action, Drama, Romance
Crossover - None that I remember
Description - Happosai angers a group of priestesses he should have left alone and they sic an annoyingly powerful demon on the "Grand Master of the Anything Goes" ... and Happosai quickly dumps -that- title on Ranma.
Thus ensues a mad struggle for survival as the relentless hunter tries to terminate Ranma and all that attack it.
Reason for recommendation - This is one of the stories I always come back to, mostly because it conveys a feeling of being -hunted-. Reading this made me chew my nails in suspense, made me cheer when impossible odds were bested once again and yet the ending made me wish it would have turned out differently.
Very well written, with a fantastic plot and enough suspense to fill a room or two while maintaining the Ranma 1/2 feel, I can whole-heartedly recommend this to everyone who has the time to read this.
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever." - O'Brien
Steiner
Senshi Candidate

Re: Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction Recommendations

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:01 pm

Name - ALTERNATE FUTURE
Link - http://jlee.anifics.com/alternate.htm
Type - Drama/Romance/Comedy
Crossover - Ranma/NGE with a smattering of Oh My Goddess
Description -
the author James Lee wrote: When Ranma is thrown out of the Tendo Dojo for good. An upset Urd decides to put him someplace else. A place where he is needed. A place where he'll be loved. A place called Tokyo-3.

Reason for Recommendation - This was one of the few crossovers where Ranma doesn't simply waltz in and save the world by his incredible martial arts skills. Ironically, it's his personality and his weaknesses that are the most necessary to the people of Tokyo-3 and NERV especially, yes that thing that so irritates Akane is exactly what his fellow pilots and Dr. Akagi need to survive and thrive.
Ranma is clearly the star, but he doesn't completely overshadow the other characters, nor does Nabiki when she arrives in Tokyo-3.
This fic and Children of an Elder God were the inspirations for Sic Semper Morituri, in that both were well-written, showed an interesting side to the characters, and when both reached the homestretch, they just stopped.
So be warned, the fic isn't complete.
Overall, a good fic that seems to be overlooked.
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby Atlan » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:14 am

Name: Ill Met By Starlight
Link: http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/5 ... light.html
Type: Dark/Angst
Crossover: None
Description: The Nekoken was a terible technique, one that had a huge price to pay for the trainee. As terible as it was, what if Genma had been overcome with pity? What if he'd stopped the training before Ranma learnt the technique? This story tells of how sometimes, compassion can be the most dangerous emotion of all...
Reason for Recomendation: I see a lot of darkfics out there, most of which are poorly written or have charecters which bear little or no resembelence to the manga, apart from the name. This one is nothing like that. Ranma is as soicopathic as Hannibal Lecter, and is the bad guy. Ryoga, Shampoo, Ukyo, Akane, Nibiki and even Mousse are the good guys- and victims. No matter how much you like or dislike a feiancee or rival, you'll pity them in this one. Even the toughest person out there will feel for everyone invloved.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Steiner » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:39 am

Oooooh, IMBS. That story still gives me the Shiverin' Creeps! And yet, it makes me feel sorry for all involved, especially Ranma himself.
And since I didn't see a restriction for recommending only one ficlet, I shall try to bring another story to the spotlight it so richly deserves.
One of my long-time favourites (even though being a WiP still):
Title: Realms
Link: The Master has no need for money. But still he sits and counts it. As a meditation.
Type: Action, Fantasy, Humor and a whole lot of other things.
Crossover: Sailor Moon/Ranma/Oh My Goddess, this being a "nice" crossover where all crossed parts get equal quality time with the reader.
Description - Three mortals. Three mortals blessed/cursed with an extraordinary life. Three mortals on a road of self-discovery and other things.
I have read a truckload or two of Ranma crossovers, usually with him ending up dimension-, time- and whatamadinga-jumping so often to so many universes that in the end you get a chaotic mesh of affiliations and connections, something I find abhorrent.
This is not such a story. This is a heart-warming, loveable story of three people striving to become what they can be, by birthright, design or chance.
After this is said, I must be off... to reread it once again x.x
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever." - O'Brien
Steiner
Senshi Candidate

Postby Manzikert » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:55 pm

Name - The Road to Cydonia
Link - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2314624/1/
Type - Action/Drama
Crossover - X - COM
Description - The Nerima Wrecking Crew join X-COM. The aliens find out about the super powered martial artists in Nerima forcing them and their families to take shelter with X-COM. The story starts off somewhat dark and being an X-COM fic is somewhat graphic.
The story isn’t finished but it is frequently updated.
Reason for Recommendation: This is one of two good X-COM fics I know of. Reason enough for those who like X-COM.
Manzikert
Senshi Candidate

Postby antimatterenergy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:42 pm

Name: Tiger Claw
Link: http://www.madamhydra.net/TC.html
Type: Action/Drama/Romance/Dark
Crossover: None
Description: Examines the darkness of the neko-ken. A sorceress manipulates events to bring about the true power of the neko-ken.
Reason for Recommendation: Though this hasn't been updated in a very long time it is written very well and I like how it explores the darker aspects of the neko-ken.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Fiction Discussion