About Ranma/Gundam crossovers...

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

About Ranma/Gundam crossovers...

Postby Makoto » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:03 am

...just curious, but usually, when I happen upon a Ranma/Gundam crossover, why does the Gundam series often tend to be Gundam Wing?

(I'm not saying there's anything bad about the series or the crossovers, really. I'm just wondering - why Wing? I never really got around to watching more than an episode or two of Wing... c'mon, someone write a Seed Destiny crossover. :P)
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Re: About Ranma/Gundam crossovers...

Postby camk4evr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:27 pm

Probably (for english language fics) because the majority of Gundam/Ranma crossovers predate the airing of Gundam Seed. Gundam Wing was the first Gundam series to air on North American TV and (locally at least) aired iaround 4 pm. As a result it developed a fairly large following. Seed, on the other hand, aired at around 10 pm (again, locally) which meant that it didn't have as big an audience nor draw in as many new fans due to its later airing. With most of the other Gundam series being a video only release and, therefore, having a smaller audience than Seed, it's not all that surprising that you're not going to see as much fanfiction dedicated to them.

Before anyone points out that Ranma had a video only release in North America I will say that while that's true, the Ranma manga and anime are signifcantly larger than any individual Gundam series, has been in North America longer, was in more rental shops than Gundam, and was the best selling anime series in North America until Eva came along.

At any rate, since I live in Canada I'm unfamiliar with these series' releases elsewhere so can anybody add anything about these series' releases in their country?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shinji: Well suppose some mysterious entities were attacking, and
Asuka:Oh please, Baka Shinji, that sounds like some cheap, pseudo-profound T.V. show. Low budget. Ambiguous ending.
-Asuka and Shinji discussing why you would build a giant robot. NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol.6
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Makoto » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:28 pm

I was joking about Seed/Seed Destiny. :) (Even though, yes, I wouldn't mind seeing a Seed/Seed Destiny crossover... ^_^; )

I know the technical reasons/the 'how it began' part, basically, and should have said that in the OP. :) But since then, and even now, it seems as if when someone wants to create a Ranma/Gundam crossover, the only or automatic choice of series goes right to Wing. :| What I was mainly wondering is what is it about Wing that makes authors 'consistently' choose it for a Ranma crossover? The shikigami/god of death idea? ...etc.
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:38 pm

I remember a couple years ago there was a Ranma/seed cross and I pulled copies to my archive, but I don't remember the name or author and the archive got fragged last year
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 pm

I supose it comes from an element I refer to (for lack of better phrase) "Ease of Crossability."

Technically a good writer can make any two series cross, but lets be honest here 90% of all works are not done by good writers.

Ranma as a series has strong affinity for this because it is not strongly tied to any real time and can easily be shifted to another place too, while still containing much of the series.

Gundam Wing has one advantage over other series where other Gundams lack when it comes to Ranma. And that is the state of the Earth/Militaries. With Gundam Wing we have 5 Pilots that end up with the Gundams for essentially the same reason, there is enough room to "add one" without any major plot upset.

(Plus him having a messed up childhood would cause him to fit in)

Lets Pick some other series and compare options:

Gundam Seed: To get a Gundam he would need to replace Kira (This would take insane writing to pull off as Ranma!Kira just does not work and keeping the original plot alive. Kira HATES fighting, Ranma loves it... Ranma finds one of the Ashtray Gundams, possibly seperate from the others, doable, but lets be honest you likely will ask what the Ashtray Gundams are, and so will you masses. Last likely Option he snatches one of the other Gundams or is replaces one of the other pilots. It would cause lots of plot trouble depending on choice, and only Blitz as a choice can cause Kira and Athrun to maintain the needed growth, unlesss you want to replace him... as you can see there is just too much plot specific points and angles to do this one carelessly

G Gundam: I will admit I am no expert on this one but it seems really up his alley, And would be an easy cross since the main character is of the same mold, so a simple cut and paste with trimmings is easy, but where is the fun in that? Even if he were a Random Extra it would be hard to fail. The Key problem is the Series is just not very liked, and is hard to take remotely seriously I mean really a Gundam with Armor shaped like a Seifuku? Sounds like more of a Sailor Moon cross material, I mean the ultimate attack is based on Love... Not that it can't be done but should it?

00 Gundam: Like Seed this has a lot of character centric plot elements, its less so, and flexable enough that its possible to add or replace with minimal effort but the Main Character Setsuna is too important to replace or lose focus off of.

After War Gundam: The entire world is in Nuclear winter, cold water everywhere if not ice or snow. Though plot wise the main character is replacable as he acts more a plot generator rather then a plot continuation requirement.

So really Wing is unfortunately the best cloth for a cross to occur with, it has enough space to make stuff up and not screw with the original story to the point of being not Wing.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:38 am

Actually, Ranma replacing Kira in Seed does work due to how Ranma might view the Gundam as a weapon at first and being reluctant to use it since he was taught by Genma to look down on a weapon. Just saying...;)

=^*^=
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:09 am

Heh, that's assuming Ranma would have to be one of the 'main' main characters/have a Gundam. ^_^ I pushed an idea into the crossover idea twists thread a while back where Ranma's the one they chose to substitute for Lacus, rather than Meer. :lol:
(runs far and fast)

That reminds me, though - I probably should go pull out 0080, 0083 and F-91 to watch, again, since it's been so long.
...and that made me imagine Ranma as 0080's Chris, but the SD Gundam version. :shock: (I'll rule out SD Gundam now, just to be sure... ^_^; )
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:05 am

UC Gundam is something I have not tracked at all. Mostly because of its age and the fact it was never properly dubbed. I have some of the official subs but its just not the same for me. (Note I said tracked not watched as I have watched it, just could not follow the details nor get into it.)

Ranma replacing Meer.. hmm (Pictures Ranma Singing about the powers of 'Love') sadly given his general flipant additude towards his girl side I can easily see him if he is bribed properly with "special Martial Arts training." Not to mention the fact that it is remotely Canon that his girl side can sing and well, though they would need to beat demure politeness into him.

If you have Ranma as a background character then its not so much a cross as placing him in the universe and letting him watch the show, or steal the show... There is only enough room in any series at any given moment for 3 main characters in the original Seed that was Kira/Athrun/LaFlaga and in Destiny LaFlaga was replaced by Emo boy, though he returned he was a secondary character. (Sentai series have more flexability in this which has a "Team of 5" as a rule, sometimes others can be added, this is why Wing and 00 work, because there is room intentionally in the writing to randomly add one, like in Wing when Epion and later Talgiese were added.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Hehe...I can see the title to it now Have Gudam, will Travel...have it so Ranma's chaos induces time travel to the various Gundam/Macross timelines just when he is needed, then move on once more to the next one. And the fun part would be how everyone expects him to stay when he gets pulled into the next location. And how they blame him for leaving when he comes back to the location later...the only thing missing would be mallet sama...;)

=^*^=
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Bleah. :) That made me think of a Quantum Leap-style run through the Gundam universes where Ranma actually becomes different Gundam characters - a bit like Bean Bandit's Gundam LEAP!, though. :|

...well, you could always have Ranma replace Stella(r) (what's her official name, anyway? ^_^; ) :twisted: Or Lunamaria or her sister (whose name I've temporarily forgotten...)
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:42 am

Ohh come on you would have ranma replace/become a character that is so brain dead that she speaks in third person, and regularly gets her brain erased?

Or how about someone who only became a Gundam Pilot because it was to give ZAFT a better handle on Shin?

Not to mention the Love blinded idiot who followed Athrun and betrayed ZAFT because she wanted to go with him?

(I have little to no respect for these characters and feel that none of them would be a good one for Ranma to replace, besides they are all Destiny characters.)
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:36 am

That would be why I included the :twisted:, you know. ^_^; What about the character Bean self-inserts into in his story - Fllay? :twisted:

(...I've got to stop doing that...)

Well, there's Chris, but that's sort of cheating... she's already a redhead with a braid, and voiced by Megumi Hayashibara. :)

Seriously, though, what would happen if Ranma DID replace one of the Destiny characters, and started making changes? Heck, that just made me think of Akane as Meer... <shudders>
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:38 am

Well, who says he needs to be on the heroic side of the fence... :twisted:

=^*^=
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Actually now that I am thinking of it a Ranma as Athrun and keeping Genma as his father might just be amusing enough. For further laughs have Lacus's dad be Soun.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Makoto » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:10 am

That made me imagine Akane as Stellar, you know. :D

(...and... agh. I don't want to start imagining Shampoo as Luna and Ukyou as Cagalli. Nope. :oops: )
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Fiction Discussion