Ethics of creating a fanfic archive

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

Postby TerraEpon » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:42 pm

That doesn't answer the Usenet issue. People posting on usenet probably don't usually know they are being archived, but first Dejanews and then Google archived them.
And again, rec.arts.anime.creative was archived on probably three ot fours sites. Surely not every person who posted a story there knew this.
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby pspinler » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Togashi Gaijin wrote:The one right you explicitly DO NOT have is the right to republish or distribute copies of the work without permission.

If an author wants his/her works to "disappear completely from the net", that is his/her right to do so. The fact that you may not like it is your problem, not the authors.

Ellen Khufeld wrote:I've seen fan authors who put "do not distribute" on their fics, and authors who specifically authorize it.

I'll have to consider what to do about this myself. In any case, "unaltered" is bound to be a feature of any permission I give.

Like it or not, T.G. is empirically correct in this. Under US copyright law, the *only* distribution that you can do of a copyrighted work is that explicitly permitted by the copyright holder.

Of course, as Ellen suggests, many authors wish their work to be more widely distributed and available.

If you are one such author, I strongly suggest you investigate making your work available under one of the Creative Commons licenses. These are specific grants from the copyright holder in the form of a license to freely distribute and, for some licenses, reuse their work.

Go read up on 'em, and choose a good license for your work.

-- Pat[/url]
pspinler
Senshi Cadet

Postby juandelacruz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:04 am

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:You have the right idea, Cheb. I've seen fan authors who put "do not distribute" on their fics, and authors who specifically authorize it.

I'll have to consider what to do about this myself. In any case, "unaltered" is bound to be a feature of any permission I give.

Um, so any suggestion on the exact wording? Maybe us fanfic authors can use something standard. I'll probably put it in the fanfcis that I wrote/will write.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, here's what I've come up with so far.

http://www.alextomas.net/ffindex/index. ... &pageNum=1

I've indexed only 12 stories so far.
juandelacruz
Senshi Candidate

Previous

Return to Fiction Discussion