Does anyone else hate it when....

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

Does anyone else hate it when....

Postby Metroidvania » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:13 pm

Someone makes a major change to a canon story, i.e. Ranma getting a different curse, or a more specific example, in the video game KOTOR, having Revan _not_ lose his/her memories.....yet still rehash canon events for the majority of the story?

I just tried to read through one of said KOTOR fics, and I couldn't even stand it.

Exact dialogue, literally copying quests and writing them up.....couldn't continue reading it at all.

Granted, canon is needed, but just answering stock events with small changes to show how different your Ranma/Revan/whoever is seems like an easy way out to me.
Princess of Hyperion
Spammaster Rank A
Appointed "Universal Translator" by Cyber_Skaarj on July 22, 2006
Metroidvania
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:19 pm

Not everyone has creativity. ::sigh:: I've seen stories which caused me to place web pages into a list to prevent them from loading. Their difference from canon was that it switched between Ranma canon events even though Ranma never turned female he was Saiyan and canon Dragon Ball Events all the time between episodes taken up by the other reality. Ranma getting all his own and all Goku's lines. The worst part is they did the Ranma TV series ep where Ranma thinks he's always been a woman in it too. I'll leave that for you to imagine and hope it doesn't get as painful as it was.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:20 pm

I Know what you mean. You can see a lot of this in other fandoms as well, such as Naruto. I've read several fics where there is minimal change to the Wave Arc or the Chuunin Exams, but they are still fully covered for no real reason than that the fic had started before them. Focusing on events that have changed while mentioned those that have occured the way they did in canon, or even using a different perspective are both ways I can think of to spice things up a bit if the events themselves are the same.
Apointed Spammer rank D by Fool (AKA Black Dragon) Monday April 9th, 2007

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Promoted to Spammer Rank B by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Tuesday May 15th 2007
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby Atlan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:46 am

Ohhhhh yeah. Pet peeve.

I once read a fic like that (a Justice League fic), but at about the end of the retelling of the divergence episode, the author got a clue.

Instead of retelling the whole seriess, he would show the begining, switch to a scene with a character not directly involved, and when he switched back the arc was over and the characters involved were gossiping about what had happened. Sometimes, the chapters would start with the end of the episode causing issues which needed resolving.

Made for a damn good fic, actually. Wish I could remember what it was called.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Shadell » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:09 pm

I just skim when I find that happening. Of course it can leave me disoriented if any changes actually happen.
Prince(ss) of Europa.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu on Friday May 23, 2008 7:33 pm
http://www.monstersgame.us/?ac=vid&vid=175018118
Shadell
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Tuisto » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:00 am

Yes.
in fact...
Hell yes.
Obfirmo absentis sententia... Imperium mens...
Tuisto
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Drawde » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:01 am

I find it very annoying, especially if the story is otherwise good. I hate it when the authors forget about their own changes in the story, and copy the events almost word for word from the original. Even a small change in a conversation will send it in a totally different direction.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:18 am

I can think of one instance that annoys me to know end.

The Forest of Death in the Chunin Exams in Naruto Fanfiction. Too much rehashing of the entire thing, and too many times does Orochimaru put his seal onto Naruto. :x
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Kadunta » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:14 am

If the canon events are still likely to happen, in spite of the major change, I don't object to the same events happening. Describing them in detail without changing anything... that's something a quick cursory scan-through can easily fix. I find it more annoying that the authors wastes their time and typing energy on describing what is assumed to be well-known to the audience, rather than spending those resources on what makes their story different from others.
"Nothing desiccates a mind so much as its repugnance to conceive obscure ideas."
-- E.M.Cioran, "All Gall Is Divided", translation by Richard Howard
Kadunta
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Yrael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:44 am

It's my personal peeve with most AU stories. If I have to read through one more retelling of Ranma Meets the Tendos, I'm likely to go postal on something.
Yrael
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:10 am

My favorite take on Ranma Meets Tendo's so far was one where they said Hi and then it jumpped to Ranma-chan recovering and mentally complaining to herself about just enough of the events to make it clear they all happened. There are so many that go on for 1000+ words just to say and show it didn't change.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:48 am

Yrael wrote:It's my personal peeve with most AU stories. If I have to read through one more retelling of Ranma Meets the Tendos, I'm likely to go postal on something.

It's kind of similar to me, only I can't bring myself to want to TYPE any kind of meet the Tendos thing. I've done two stories with Ranma meeting the Tendos, and I just can't bring myself to even THINK of doing the scene again in any variation. The very thought drives me to boredom and disinterest. It's got to be one of the most uninteresting scenes ever...
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:38 pm

There's a writing trick that's useful in cases like this. Write all you want, including "meet the Tendos" if it's the way you think.

Then go over the story and throw out everything that happened before things start to actually happen. You can do that with scenes in the middle, too.

Lets you build up momentum in your head; but throwing the buildup away is like unto ignoring all the extensive stretches (etc.) before the fight actually begins.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Neko- » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:40 pm

Rehashing canon on a major change in the story tends to make me read the canon bits a lot faster... Then again, if the major change to the storyline isn't backed by some suitable justification (i.e. something plausible), I'm liable to just skip the story all together.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby dogbertcarroll » Sun May 11, 2008 11:05 pm

My greatest pet peeve is when they follow the canon plotline like nothing has changed. If you change anything, then everything should change with minor events snowballing into huge whopping changes!

The only events that shouldn't change are the ones from outside the area, for instance, Herb will still show up searching for the kettle, as little that is done in Nerima will effect him enough to alter that.

I hate when Ranma doesn't get cursed and yet somehow the author justifies him still being engaged to Akane straight off the bat for no apparent reason.

Nabiki was searching for a cute boy at the time and was in favor of the idea, but somehow that gets skipped completely and if they do engage Nabiki to Ranma then they somehow get Kuno after him anyhow, for some asinine reason, so they can stick to the same old 'Kuno attacks Ranma to free his loves' plot.
dogbertcarroll
Senshi Cadet

Next

Return to Fiction Discussion