Does anyone else hate it when....

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

Postby Gaming Ikari » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:09 pm

TerraEpon wrote:I think part of that is the author wants to keep it a "Ranma story" and thus getting too far away will make it not one. After all, if all you have is a guy in a pigtail who's trained in martial arts for 10 years (and no other...oddities...), then no matter what you call him or have him do, it's really skirting the line of if it's truly much of a fanfic.

I'll agree that some people can take the AU bit a little too far. I think the key offender was a Naruto fic I read the first chapter of which basically took Naruto out of Konoha at a very early age, expunged the Kyubi from him, and raised him as a Wave Nin. With that much divergence you may as well call it an original story.

However, the problem with the whole Ranma moves back to the Tendo Dojo thing is that it really doesn't take much to get Ranma back in the general area. He could be looking for his mom (in those fics where Genma is dead), and her last known whereabouts were in Nerima. If you want him to interact with the Tendos, well, he happens to go for a walk and sees "Tendo Dojo of Anything Goes" and wonders about the odds of an unrelated school having the exact same name as his family style.

The devil here is in the details. A lot of fanfic authors seem to be under the impression that if they shoehorn their main character with Ranma's name into the canon setting, it's a Ranma 1/2 fanfic. Personally, given a choice of extremes, I'd rather see Ranma in a radically different environment.
Gaming Ikari
Senshi Cadet

Re: Does anyone else hate it when....

Postby Anchoku » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:53 am

I agree with Metroidvania. A lack of originality, creativity and creative effort in stories is also a pet peve of mine.

1. Just copying scenes out of canon seriously irritates me. It's cheating for those who claim to be fan fiction authors but I can understand how beginning writers need practice with the mechanics. I, too, need practice even if I refuse to resort to that kind of "momentum" building, as Ellen suggested.

2. Dumping characters from one world into another, having them behave completely OOC from the start, and using a spork and mallet to diverge from canon usually causes me to stop reading and hit the alcohol. It's an allergy of mine and I am extremely sensitive to even the smallest traces.

3. There is something truly disturbing about crossovers where a character from one world is used as a combination of Mary Sue and self insert. I have tried to poke a little fun at Mary Sue stories with my own short work but it is hard to keep it on track that way because I dislike writing that type of story so much. It's coming out decidedly shoujo rather than a parody.
Anchoku
Senshi Cadet

Previous

Return to Fiction Discussion