Ranma 1/2 Clichés in good fanfiction

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

*Spoilers*

Postby Acey » Thu May 25, 2006 9:05 am

The 'abusive, idiotic Genma' cliché is used very well in Way of the Ninjitsu. So is 'Unstoppable Nekoken', as is the ridiculous cliché/fabrication of Swordmistress Nodoka.
'Eeeeevil old bitch Cologne' is a major force in Hearts of Ice, but it's handled excellently.
A Bengal Tale features a Ranma who'd rather face falling into the Nekoken than wear girls' clothes.
The More Things Change & The Pursuit of Happiness have the cliché of Ryoga being able to travel the world while lost, and the cliché that once Ranma and Akane get together, Ryoga and Ukyo will inevitably fall for one another. And they're made to work brilliantly.
Acey
Moon Queen Emeritus

Re: *Spoilers*

Postby TerraEpon » Thu May 25, 2006 11:16 am

Acey wrote:'Eeeeevil old bitch Cologne' is a major force in Hearts of Ice, but it's handled excellently.

That's the story that /started/ the cliche, really. Or at least made it popular. One of the reasons I hate that story.
-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

*More Spoilers*

Postby Acey » Thu May 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Epon wrote:
I wrote:'Eeeeevil old bitch Cologne' is a major force in Hearts of Ice, but it's handled excellently.

That's the story that /started/ the cliche, really. Or at least made it popular. One of the reasons I hate that story.

Actually, I'd credit that to Thy Inward Love. IIRC it predates Hearts of Ice. FYI, Thy Inward Love features some of the all time 'great' clichés before they were popularised such as the aforementioned 'EEEvil Old Cologne'.
i) Nabiki and Kuno discover they love one another,
ii) Shampoo is not only stronger than Mousse but is probably second only to Ranma in combat ability,
iii) and she realises that she's loved Mousse all along,
iv) Features an insane, muderous Kodachi
v) Ukyo reacts likes Akane, but her actions have real consequences
vi) Ukyo is also borderline suicidal
vii) Hurting Akane makes you lower than dirt in everyone's eyes
viii) Nodoka is wise and sage-like and not the least bit insane
ix) Akari will forgive Ryoga anything
x) Ranma and Akane are perfect for one another and live happily ever after
Last edited by Acey on Thu May 25, 2006 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acey
Moon Queen Emeritus

Re: *More Spoilers*

Postby nuclear death frog » Thu May 25, 2006 1:36 pm

Acey wrote:FYI, Thy Inward Love features some of the all time 'great' clichés before they were popularised such as the aforementioned 'EEEvil Old Cologne'.
<snip list>

Thanks for giving me someone to blame!
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby Draknor » Thu May 25, 2006 9:26 pm

Hmm maybe Nodoka dreaming about grandbabies and the ridiculously over the top manly stand?
Draknor
Initiate

Previous

Return to Fiction Discussion