Ranma "Classics"

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

Postby nuclear death frog » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:22 pm

Cyber_Skaarj wrote:Incidently, doesn't it seem odd that with the rise in popularity of ff.net that the era of "classics" came to a close? Oh, there are some quite excellent authors still out there (Ozz comes to mind as one), but the vast majority of the best of Ranma fanfiction seems to come from the pre-ff.net times.

I think that's a coincidence. FFnet was founded in 1998 or 1999. The Ranma manga ended in Japan in 1996; and I think the anime ceased production before the manga was complete. Eventually interest in fanfiction would probably have petered out since Ranma 1/2 has never been aired on American television, and probably never will be. With no more Ranma canon being produced, much of the interest in it would just go away.
By the way, while FFnet may have been *founded* in 1999, it didn't explode in size until much later.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:22 pm

nuclear death frog wrote:I think that's a coincidence. FFnet was founded in 1998 or 1999. The Ranma manga ended in Japan in 1996; and I think the anime ceased production before the manga was complete. Eventually interest in fanfiction would probably have petered out since Ranma 1/2 has never been aired on American television, and probably never will be. With no more Ranma canon being produced, much of the interest in it would just go away.
By the way, while FFnet may have been *founded* in 1999, it didn't explode in size until much later.

Isn't the end of the english translations of the manga supposed to come out soon though? Being able to buy the whole manga series in tranlated english should bring an intrest spike hopefully.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:39 pm

Nekomata-sensei wrote:Isn't the end of the english translations of the manga supposed to come out soon though? Being able to buy the whole manga series in tranlated english should bring an intrest spike hopefully.

Aye, it might bring renewed interest. Or it might even kill interest.
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Atlan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:09 am

Or it might do nothing. Scanlations have been floating around for ages.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Matrias » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:41 pm

Four pages and no mention of the Saotome Gambit actually made me mad enough to come out of lurking and register.
Yeah, big fan of the Wilde's stuff.
Their site is gone, but you can still find it courtesy of web.archive.org 's backups.
[url=http://web.archive.org/web/20041015073340/www.gci-net.com/users/w/wildeman/jamie.htm]The Saotome Gambit, a Ranma/Battletech fusion.
Ranma Goes to War and its sequel Chasing the Wind
2001: Odyssey 1/2, 2010: Second Odyssey
[/url]
As for recent stuff still going, I consider
The Truth and Temepest by Neon-Ronin
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2163216/1/
and
Rendezvous with Fate by iCe
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/67364/1/
to be classic.
Hearts of Ice was already mentioned, though this is a personal favorite and I think I should mention it again. Stabs my heart all the time to think that it's pretty much dead.
Matrias
Senshi Candidate

Postby bissek » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:49 pm

The Wild Horse Thesis
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3107822/1/
This is a Ranma/Evanelion fic that has only been out for a week and is still being posted (The author stated that it's finished, and is simply spacing out the posts to 1-2 a day, so all 18 chapters should be out in a week or two). It's very well written, and should be entered into the list of classics.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Materia-Blade » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:36 pm

Nobody even mentioned "The Iris Tales?"
I'm so saddened by this.
I seem to be the biggest lover of angst out there though. I don't know why. "Clothes Make the..." Was incredible as well.
Just about anything by Liefker was great.
I don't know if his name was mentioned. I just scrolled through the pages here and used Ctrl + F to search for "Iris" and I didn't find it. Except in ebiris's name.
"I killed the world and you can too, if you try hard."
-- Lews Therin Kinslayer
Materia-Blade
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ninsaneja » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:11 pm

My favorites are Destiny's Child by Fire (the only fanfic I have saved to my hard drive, and I feel lucky too because his website went down... even though it's still on ff.net)
Hearts of Ice (still waiting for Krista Perry to reply to my rabid fan letter)
Just Won't Die 1 (after the first few it became over uber)
Psycko-Sama's SM crossovers
Can It Get Any Worse? by.... I dunno...
"For a good time, call Molimo"
- Inscribed on a bathroom stall door in Yavimaya.
Ninsaneja
Senshi Cadet

Postby Contraversial Matt » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:59 pm

There are few fics out there that can qualify for being an Epic in my opinion. These are they.
Nuke 'Em Till They Glow -- Benjamin A. Oliver
Insertion -- Carrotglace
Sic Semper Morituri -- Daniel J. Gibson
Anything by John Walter Biles.
Contraversial Matt
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ninsaneja » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:00 pm

Contraversial Matt wrote:There are few fics out there that can qualify for being an Epic in my opinion. These are they.
Nuke 'Em Till They Glow -- Benjamin A. Oliver
Insertion -- Carrotglace
Sic Semper Morituri -- Daniel J. Gibson
Anything by John Walter Biles.

I think Destiny's Child and Sailor Ranko certainly count... probably a major influence on today's fukufics (I mean, who knows? Burgerbecky wrote a number of fics based entirely on Sailor Ranko... Fukufics might not be the same without them.)
"For a good time, call Molimo"
- Inscribed on a bathroom stall door in Yavimaya.
Ninsaneja
Senshi Cadet

Postby Materia-Blade » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:26 am

Something that's confused me. Why is it that it seems Ranma is the ONLY series with hundreds of Classics? I found about one or two INCREDIBLE fics in the Slayers world. Both of which coincidentally were found off of Fanfiction.net.
Sailor Moon and Evangelion are both similar. Granted I haven't searched with the same vigor that I have for great Ranma fics but still! Considering how many downright inspiring fics there are in Ranma you'd think there would be one or two incredible fics out there for the other series?
Why is it that Ranma was so popular when it never made it to air in America? Hell the anime' was dastardly hard to find, five years ago and now it's almost impossible unless your shopping online. And thats just for like a single video or two.
I dunno for sure but I think that comment about the end of the Classics coinciding with the rise of Fanfiction.net may be a little bit more true than some think... Eh Maybe. Again, Ozzallos comes to mind, and I'm pretty sure Cloud Dreamer is still alive. He hasn't continued in a couple of years but I don't think he is quite dead yet... One can hope with a fic Like Kikuko...
Also. I was disappointed that no one mentioned newRanma.
The odd title in no way destroys the goodness of that fic.
http://www.furinkan.net/display.php?com ... egoryid=50
I'm pretty sure that I never saw this fic mentioned. I read all the way through this time.
In all the time that i've seen it I've never read "Sic Semper Morituri."
Is it really good? I suppose I probably should get around to reading it but I've never actually even looked up a summary on it! ^_^;
"I killed the world and you can too, if you try hard."
-- Lews Therin Kinslayer
Materia-Blade
Senshi Cadet

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:50 am

Materia-Blade wrote:Why is it that Ranma was so popular when it never made it to air in America? Hell the anime' was dastardly hard to find, five years ago and now it's almost impossible unless your shopping online. And thats just for like a single video or two.

It's an older anime that was pretty well dubbed, considering the ones that came before it. Older anime->older audience->more mature writing (even if its just better grammar). Even the hard-to-find nature contributes to better writing, because it would mean that some writing for it would have likely spent more time/money searching for it -- in other words, slightly more obsessed. Ranma's unresolved storyline also means more attempts of people to try to continue/fix it.
I also have never read sic semper morituri. I don't even have an idea of what the plot is. Guess now is as good a time as any to read it.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:54 am

Ranma was also very popular. Until Eva came (and out sold Ranma) along it was, or so I heard, the best selling anime in North America.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:15 am

Materia-Blade wrote:Also. I was disappointed that no one mentioned newRanma.
The odd title in no way destroys the goodness of that fic.
http://www.furinkan.net/display.php?com ... egoryid=50
I'm pretty sure that I never saw this fic mentioned. I read all the way through this time.
In all the time that i've seen it I've never read "Sic Semper Morituri."
Is it really good? I suppose I probably should get around to reading it but I've never actually even looked up a summary on it! ^_^;

I rather liked NewRanma. I think it was never mentioned because most people either haven't read it, or they just forgot about it.
As for Morituri, ...
Ranma, Nabiki, as 13-14 year olds, via Belldandy, in the Eva world, in 1942, crossed with the Lovecraft Mythos.
You get American battleships shooting stuff, people by the dozen going blat, and a damn big Dragon roasting critters in the Dream world and the real one. (just not both at the same time)
Naval Warrior Lord/Lady of Io.
Schizotechnician.
Thermonuclear Firebug.
Character Dossier
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:01 pm

Materia-Blade wrote:In all the time that i've seen it I've never read "Sic Semper Morituri."

Lord Aries Greymon wrote:As for Morituri, ...
Ranma, Nabiki, as 13-14 year olds, via Belldandy, in the Eva world, in 1942, crossed with the Lovecraft Mythos.
You get American battleships shooting stuff, people by the dozen going blat, and a damn big Dragon roasting critters in the Dream world and the real one. (just not both at the same time)

It's 1947 actually, but there's a reduction offered at http://www.fukufics.com/viewtopic.php?t=912
The friend who gave it too me has recovered, 'The elves have all gone away.'
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Fiction Discussion