Ranma "Classics"

Talk about all other fanfictions in this forum.

Postby Ninsaneja » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:18 pm

Materia-Blade wrote:Why is it that Ranma was so popular when it never made it to air in America? Hell the anime' was dastardly hard to find, five years ago and now it's almost impossible unless your shopping online. And thats just for like a single video or two.

Uh... I wanted to get the Ranma anime and I just walked into the local Newbury comics... they had what they claimed was the first season or two in one deal, about 8 discs if I remember right (but it was a while ago ;_;) but it was $120 so I didn't get it. I did end up getting the first two discs, which had only 5 episodes each, and like 15 minutes per episode (how many commercials did they have to fill it to 30 min. ???)
"For a good time, call Molimo"
- Inscribed on a bathroom stall door in Yavimaya.
Ninsaneja
Senshi Cadet

Postby AyanamiRei » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:41 pm

It's nice to see so many Ranma 1/2 fanfic lovers. I've read several fanfics over the years of Ranma 1/2 fanfics, including crossovers, along with a little SM fanfics as well. It's so hard to find people who have had such a hunger for fanfics like myself. I remember how I used to read fanfic after fanfic after fanfic back in the day. Reading Shampoo 1/2 in under a month. So many great memories.
Btw has anyone read that fanfic where Ranma is sent back in time and becomes effectively immortal after learning to control both his ki and mana, and even meets his brother in the future? I forget what it's called, but it was a really good one...
AyanamiRei
Initiate

Postby P.H. Wise » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:51 pm

Ninsaneja wrote:Just Won't Die 1 (after the first few it became over uber)

I still have nightmares about the Just Won't Die series. It has truly lived up to its name. :|
Hige sceal þe heardra || heorte þe cenre,
mod sceal þe mare || þe ure mægen lytlað.
P.H. Wise
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby AyanamiRei » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:01 am

That fanfic wasn't too scary/creepy for me..if you want creepy/scary...that one about the tireless monster that keeps getting stronger should be better...or the one where Ranma becomes Apocalypse...or the one where Akane kills Ranma in a fit of rage...etc.
AyanamiRei
Initiate

Postby Darth Thanatos » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:04 pm

I'm not sure I consider them classics, but after seeing what some people consider "classics", I thought they deserved at least the "minor classics" qualification and maybe a little spotlight:
The things we wish for, by D.B. Sommer. An unusual approach to the "Akane gets a wish" plot. And it is complete, to boot.
Redheads, by Robert "Kenko" Haynie. This one is so overlooked that even the author doesn't have a copy in his home page or in FF.net. But if you don't read it, you're a Tendo. Unfinished, of course. (EDIT: Sequel (sort of) to Girl Days)
Ne volnuites, Aeria Gloris

Midboss rank Z, promoted by "Ice Cream Thief" Himitsu on 2007-03-21
Darth Thanatos
"I am still a powerpuff girl!"

Postby TerraEpon » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:14 pm

Darth Thanatos wrote:The things we wish for, by D.B. Sommer. An unusual approach to the "Akane gets a wish" plot. And it is complete, to boot.
Redheads, by Robert "Kenko" Haynie. This one is so overlooked that even the author doesn't have a copy in his home page or in FF.net. But if you don't read it, you're a Tendo. Unfinished, of course. (EDIT: Sequel (sort of) to Girl Days)

I second both of those, though I imagine at least Redheads was posted earlier. On a similar theme to The Things We Wish For (if I remember it right), is A Cold Wind Blows by Aondehafka
-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Thrythlind » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:27 am

Winchester wrote:
Battlekrome wrote:There are a ton of non-ranma stuff and shorter tales I just can't remember reading at the moment as well... Too bad the addventure seems to have swallowed him whole.
SP

It is more accurate to say that real life + original projects have swallowed me whole.
Full time teacher in my internship year, going about 50 hrs a week. Not including off the clock planning.
Greenwater - heroic fantasy novel
(currently trying to get around to starting chapter 17, hoping to get finished soon so I can start thinking about publishing...my original stuff goes a lot slower than my fic stuff ever did.)
Bystander - originally a comic idea, but no artist, so doing short story anthologies instead. Barely started writing.
Heritage - Mutants and Masterminds campaign setting wherein superpowers originate from manipulating inborn interdimensional gates. super-heroes tend to develop into beings from Earth myth. Ran this setting at last A-Kon...was hoping to do it again, but money is failing me.
Cunihan - d20/D&D campaign setting. An old version of this is still online, but it is far from complete, as my test-campaign proved last year. http://www.geocities.com/thrythlind/cunihan.htm (a lot of this is out of date)
Werelife - card game based on master-werecreatures maneuvering against each other to control/protect their territory. Depending on the goals drawn, players can be either partners and protectors of man, unconcerned with humans, or ravaging killers.
One problem is that I don't have the same drive to write fic as I did before I started original stuff. I just wish I was writing as frequently.
I do appreciate being considered one of the classics.
Never thought Genma's Journal would be considered the "original" evil-Genma. Somebody has to have thought of that before me.
My personal favorite has always been Ryoko Saotome, but a lot of people seem to think Lost Innocence is my best.
Thrythlind
Senshi Candidate

Postby PSJD » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:22 pm

AyanamiRei wrote:Btw has anyone read that fanfic where Ranma is sent back in time and becomes effectively immortal after learning to control both his ki and mana, and even meets his brother in the future? I forget what it's called, but it was a really good one...

that sounds like destiny by arun: http://ladycosmos.anifics.com/x-over/destiny.html
PSJD
Senshi Cadet

Postby Kura » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:19 pm

Hey, great to see you here, Thrythlind.
I always liked Ryoko Saotome best too, heh heh...
I always found that the insane length to a lot of the classics scare me away from reading them...and by long, I mean loooonggg...Anyone ever read the "Modern Dynasty" series? Now that is long...so is Just Won't Die but its just...meh...
Kura
Senshi Candidate

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:54 pm

It is indeed very nice to see you're still around Thrythlind, even if you don't have the enthusiasm for writing fanfiction anymore.
To be quite honest, the fact that this topic still gets replies even almost a year after I first brought it up blows my mind. Hell, many of the topics I've started seemed to spark up quite a bit of interest and a lot of debates. Do you all really find the subject matter I come up with so interesting?
And keeping in the spirit of the topic, one that I don't believe has been mentioned yet, despite the fact that it's been one of my favourites for a long long while and that I've read it several times:
Queen Rat by Henry "Sarge" Burns
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby Thrythlind » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:39 pm

something I want to know...
did Hearts of Ice ever finish?
Thrythlind
Senshi Candidate

Postby nuclear death frog » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:00 am

Thrythlind wrote:something I want to know...

No.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ordieth117 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:06 am

Thrythlind wrote:something I want to know...

A more applicable answer might be "not yet." She's added part of a new chapter, and her blog mentions it every now and then how she's still working on it, just having difficulties. She's taking it at the pace of life, and refusing to feel guilted into writing faster and producing shoddy work.
Ordieth117
Senshi Cadet

Postby TerraEpon » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:41 am

Kura wrote:I always found that the insane length to a lot of the classics scare me away from reading them...and by long, I mean loooonggg...Anyone ever read the "Modern Dynasty" series? Now that is long...so is Just Won't Die but its just...meh...

Modern Dynesty really runs out of steam after a while...but it has a lot of really annoying issues from close to the get go (namely, "omg, Ranma is three people now, but they all still love Akane so of course they share!", amoung others)
You gotta remember, though, most long fics were written and released chapter by chapter, so people would read them little by little as well.
-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:40 am

Cyber_Skaarj wrote:It is indeed very nice to see you're still around Thrythlind, even if you don't have the enthusiasm for writing fanfiction anymore.
To be quite honest, the fact that this topic still gets replies even almost a year after I first brought it up blows my mind. Hell, many of the topics I've started seemed to spark up quite a bit of interest and a lot of debates. Do you all really find the subject matter I come up with so interesting?
And keeping in the spirit of the topic, one that I don't believe has been mentioned yet, despite the fact that it's been one of my favourites for a long long while and that I've read it several times:
Queen Rat by Henry "Sarge" Burns

Yes, we do find your topics to be of supreme interest.
And I'll agree with you on Queen Rat, I read a lot of that one, but then I lost track of it.
Naval Warrior Lord/Lady of Io.
Schizotechnician.
Thermonuclear Firebug.
Character Dossier
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Fiction Discussion