I think I was pranked in Sam's club

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

I think I was pranked in Sam's club

Postby slickrcbd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 pm

I've only had temp jobs for the last 5 years, and I've taken a part-time job demoing electronics in the Sam's Club to make ends meet between jobs.

On Thursday I had an odd encounter with a customer, and I think I've been pranked. The reason I'm sharing it on the Fukufics form (the last Ranma 1/2 forum that I've subscribed to that is still around) will become obvious.

A woman came up to me and asked where the registers were, and I pointed to the northern part of the store. She said thank you, then started heading southwest and stopped and addressed her husband and said "They are that way", and pointed to the east.
Then they started moving Southwest. I called out "Your name wouldn't happen to be Hibiki, would it?" They both looked startled, and then said "How did you know?", and I said "I've seen Ranma 1/2." Only for them to look confused. They started to leave, only for me to point to the north, and they went east.

I think I've been pranked, but I don't know who both knows I"m in the Sam's club and that I've seen Ranma 1/2. I hadn't told anybody what my schedule was this month, and I've never seen that couple before.
They were named Hibiki (or answered to it) and had no sense of direction.
The thing is, Ranma 1/2 isn't exactly the most popular anime anymore, not like Naruto or Dragon Ball. Even 20 years ago, it wasn't exactly mainstream the way Naruto is borderline these days. It's kinda ancient history. So why would somebody do a prank based on Ranma 1/2 unless they knew I was a fan?
Strange.
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: I think I was pranked in Sam's club

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:20 pm

Some people like to scatter their pranks upon the breeze, to land upon whoever they land. I did one in the Fifties, when space programs were just getting underway. Made a very small, rather fake, version of a satellite. Hung it in a tree, dangling down from a parachute, to about eight or ten feet high. Weeks later, the tech at the local electronics shop said "You did it, didn't you" and proceeded to tell me about the guy who brought it in wondering what it was.

Was that couple red-headed? They might have been Weasleys.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby slickrcbd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:06 pm

Asian, with standard black hair.
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:32 pm

:mrgreen:

The thing is, Ranma 1/2 isn't exactly the most popular anime anymore, not like Naruto or Dragon Ball. Even 20 years ago, it wasn't exactly mainstream the way Naruto is borderline these days. It's kinda ancient history. So why would somebody do a prank based on Ranma 1/2 unless they knew I was a fan?
Strange.

If i could figure out any realistic explanation for it, i would say it's not a prank, but i can't.
Yet running a prank like that right now, in a random(?) place, there's just no point to it.
Also, if they were doing it just for a prank, it should have been HIM that was the one pulling the main part at being directionless.

My best bet is that someone you know asked them to do it. If not, i wouldn't be surprised if reality just upped it's game to stay ahead of fiction again. :P
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby slickrcbd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:11 pm

I could name several people that might have set up something like that 15-20 years ago as a prank, but now? I'm not sure how many of them even know I work there, and most have moved out of state.
We're not in high school or even college anymore.

Mind you, it would have been a good one, but it happening now is just plain weird. Nobody's done anything like that in a long time.
I haven't really been active in the Ranma fandom online in about 10 years, and I can't remember the last time I talked to anybody about the series offline. That's what got me so puzzled. This is pretty much the last Ranma or Sailor Moon board that I'm still active on (just about all the others have ceased to exist. I'm sure there are others out there, but I lost Usenet access a decade ago and all the other boards I was subscribed to have folded and I haven't sought out new ones), and 99% of the time I'm only active on the "fic search" forum, trying to help when I can.
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:31 pm

15-20 years ago as a prank, but now?

Yeah, that shifts it to "VERY unlikely"...

Meh, might as well just accept it as if it was for real and take it as a funny incident proving that reality beats fiction every time. :P
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Neko- » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 am

The universe just threw you something unexpected.

No explanations from my end since I can’t really think of any, and wouldn’t expect them to go for something so obscure on knowledge to do a prank.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Sun May 06, 2018 2:59 pm

TRhat is just so random that is was really funny to say the least. thanks for sharing and it made my afternoon just know.
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby slickrcbd » Mon May 07, 2018 11:54 am

It was really random. I just can't figure out if somebody played a prank on me or not. I knew some people who might do a surrealist prank like that back in college, but I graduated in 2004 and the only reason I took that long was because I went to community college part-time while working full time so I could save up to goto a university.
Nobody has pulled any of those kind of pranks around in at least a decade, and all of them have moved out of Illinois.

Also choosing Ranma 1/2 is odd, as the fandom has passed it's heyday, with Naruto seeming to be the most popular one in the genre at the moment, surpassing Dragon Ball [Z].

Then again, I appreciate surrealist pranks like that, as opposed to the "pranks" that are really vandalism or petty theft. Got enough of those in high school. A real prank is harmless and fun, not destroying property or making the other person spend an hour or more cleaning it up. (The prankster should do so, but they will probably destroy or ruin things out of spite).
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:21 pm

Then again, I appreciate surrealist pranks like that, as opposed to the "pranks" that are really vandalism or petty theft.

Hear, hear!

A real prank is harmless and fun

+1!

It was really random. I just can't figure out if somebody played a prank on me or not. I knew some people who might do a surrealist prank like that back in college, but I graduated in 2004 and the only reason I took that long was because I went to community college part-time while working full time so I could save up to goto a university.
Nobody has pulled any of those kind of pranks around in at least a decade, and all of them have moved out of Illinois.

Like i said, it definitely sounds extremely unlikely to actually be a prank. And just almost as unlikely to not be one. :mrgreen:
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Mon May 07, 2018 3:09 pm

slickrcbd wrote:… A real prank is harmless and fun, …

Like the students and the park bench. Or when MIT hacked the bootbonk match between Harvard and Yale. Well, Lucy Van Pelt says it’s called bootbonk.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon May 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Té Rowan wrote:Or when MIT hacked the bootbonk match between Harvard and Yale. Well, Lucy Van Pelt says it’s called bootbonk.

Ah yes, the giant balloon in midfield at halftime ... That's one I can believe, unlike the thermite and the trolley car.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Thu May 10, 2018 12:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLg2XpY0L3w — There is even video to back up them hacking that game – in 1982, the accounts say.

And here — http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1839579_1839578_1839525,00.html — is pictorial evidence of another great game hack, this time by some looney Californians at Caltech.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu May 10, 2018 1:06 pm

The football game hack was an anniversary celebration of an earlier hack! How nice! The biggest MIT hack I ever did was to turn one of the campus floodlights into a batsignal. And it didn't focus worth a damn.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Fri May 11, 2018 6:04 am

Would be so much better if floodlights (or ‘suns’ as they are sometimes called here) had a point source of light.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk