Things Like This Shouldn't Happen In Small Towns

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Things Like This Shouldn't Happen In Small Towns

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:15 pm

There was a shooting early this morning at a Kwik Shop that I make frequent (and I do mean frequent) snack runs at. It kinda unnerves me some; when I got here this area had a pretty low crime rate, but it's been getting a little bit higher these past few years, and it kinda concerns both me and my mom.

Anyway, here's some details for anyone interested.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Re: Things Like This Shouldn't Happen In Small Towns

Postby Neko- » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:48 am

Must be the downside of more liberal gun laws. While shootings do happen here, they're much more infrequent, and mostly associated with executions in the criminal scene.

Must be a tad unnerving to see a place you frequent get in the news for that reason.
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:20 am

I ran into something like, yet unlike, maybe forty-fifty years ago. I was in my favorite Tom Thumb picking up snackies when in walks a guy wearing a trenchcoat, a domino mask, and boots. :roll: Nothing else, as far as I could see - certainly the legs were bare above his boots. He was up by the clerk's desk. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details here, but then he goes out the door and starts walking away to the east. Both the clerk and I were watching, bemused. Before he's gone a block, a police car going west makes a u-turn in the middle of the street, pulls up to him, and begins to Inquire after his Business. That's about all I remember. I've had stranger things happen, but not many.

As far as your friendly local murder goes, I've been very tangentially involved with about six. That sort of thing accumulates if you live long enough.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:16 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:...

As far as your friendly local murder goes, I've been very tangentially involved with about six. That sort of thing accumulates if you live long enough.

Huh, still zero here after >40 years, first 22 of which was in Stockholm(ie as large a city you can get here, >1M ppl).
Zero for my parents and brothers so far as well.

#####
There was a shooting early this morning at a Kwik Shop that I make frequent (and I do mean frequent) snack runs at. It kinda unnerves me some; when I got here this area had a pretty low crime rate, but it's been getting a little bit higher these past few years, and it kinda concerns both me and my mom.

No fun. :(
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:18 pm

Spica75 wrote:Huh, still zero here after >40 years, first 22 of which was in Stockholm(ie as large a city you can get here, >1M ppl).
Zero for my parents and brothers so far as well.

When I said very tangentially, I meant very. One of the murders was in Australia - but many years later, I happened to meet the woman who did it. (She's a famous mystery writer these days.) One was done by a guy who ran an electronics repair shop I occasionally used. One was done unto somebody who worked in the same (relatively large) museum I did. I'd never met the guy. Another was done by somebody who worked at the same atom-smasher I did; that was a bit closer, as we got along quite well. I've known a few people who bullshitted about killings - who knows if they ever did? Another happened in a flower shop I drive past about once a week.

And one was done by somebody I know quite well, though I met her some while after she got out of prison. I'd say that's the only one that really counts, though the guy who worked at the atom-smasher may count too.

I've had other improbabilities happen. I was doing underground comics five years before they really started. (Somebody recently paid $200 for a copy of one. I'd have never thought that probable.) I sat in Gordy Dickson's living room watching the Flying Karamazov Brothers practice a new routine. I've eaten dinner with Hugo Gernsback, and was on his Christmas card list for years. I was walking down a street in Chicago and had a friend hail me from the window of a bus, which gets more improbable when you realize neither of us lived in Chicago and we were there for completely different reasons.

In short: live long, pay attention, have a good memory, and you'll accumulate quite a stack of improbabilities. Paying attention is the most important part.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spica75 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:10 pm

In short: live long, pay attention, have a good memory, and you'll accumulate quite a stack of improbabilities. Paying attention is the most important part.

Oh yes, that´s quite true.

And even if you mostly wasn´t close to those people involved, well when you commented on it, i started thinking, and realised that i could come up with many things, but murders, big nope on that. My parents and eldest brother never even had to deal with a suicide, despite working with or on trains a lot over the years(lucky...).

Though i can add one "interesting" little episode of my own to yours, i sometimes went with my mom when she was working when i was a kid, sometimes that was boring so i got myself riding with the train driver instead, and on rare occasions, i got to do the driving... :D

But once in 1987, there was a BIG train crash when several things happened to mess up at once, leading to 2 trains having a head on collision, both trains at around 100kph on impact(after at least one of the drivers had hit full breaks before the crash, both were closer to 110 just seconds earlier).
The not so funny part is that one of the trains involved, the day before the accident, i was the one driving that train at exactly that location.

So, if the work had been messed up as it was a day earlier, i would have been part of the train that became, very, VERY compact and squishy.
http://perrasmotornostalgi.blogspot.se/ ... lerum.html
Surprisingly only 9 dead and 130 injured despite the extreme crash. Witnesses state that the crash was "deafening" and that the train engines were closer to vertical than horizontal at most, and despite the initial explosion being caused by nothing but kinetic energy, the people living in the area were rather disquieted by seeing a small mushroom style cloud as a result. Especially for those who only heard it, as it was heard loudly several km away.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Neko- wrote:Must be the downside of more liberal gun laws. While shootings do happen here, they're much more infrequent, and mostly associated with executions in the criminal scene.

Must be a tad unnerving to see a place you frequent get in the news for that reason.

Yeah...

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:I ran into something like, yet unlike, maybe forty-fifty years ago. I was in my favorite Tom Thumb picking up snackies when in walks a guy wearing a trenchcoat, a domino mask, and boots. :roll: Nothing else, as far as I could see - certainly the legs were bare above his boots. He was up by the clerk's desk. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details here, but then he goes out the door and starts walking away to the east. Both the clerk and I were watching, bemused. Before he's gone a block, a police car going west makes a u-turn in the middle of the street, pulls up to him, and begins to Inquire after his Business. That's about all I remember. I've had stranger things happen, but not many.

...Well, that beats my life for strangeness by far. Strangest thing I've ever personally seen was a stereotypical motorcyclist with a Jigglypuff tattoo at a Missouri Cracker Barrel. :| (I don't get out much.)

I've eaten dinner with Hugo Gernsback, and was on his Christmas card list for years.

One of the fathers of science fiction, huh? Cool. :)
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:50 am

CRBWildcat wrote:One of the fathers of science fiction, huh? Cool. :)

Edgar Allen Poe couldn't make it.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Return to Other Talk