So, about this "medicine" I was once forced to take...

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

So, about this "medicine" I was once forced to take...

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 pm

I don't remember what brought my mind to this, but certain details finally met and didn't do so in a harmonious fashion. As far as I can tell, Zyprexa was approved by the FDA in '09; if I'm wrong, the right date might be important. Now, I was given this while I was in a mental hospital way back in '96, which made me wonder: are there any legal/ethical routes to make me a -- as I see it -- guinea pig without my knowledge? Can my mother just sign off on something like that whether I was thirteen/fourteen or not? And I do believe that it was prescribed based on my mother's testimony of my behavior, rather than by observing me.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: So, about this "medicine" I was once forced to take...

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:27 am

are there any legal/ethical routes to make me a -- as I see it -- guinea pig without my knowledge?

Plenty.

Can my mother just sign off on something like that whether I was thirteen/fourteen or not?

Almost certainly yes. And depending on how proper the place was, your mother could easily have signed off on it without having the slighest clue that that was what she was doing.

Swedish FASS site(recommendations to medical staff) says it should NOT be used on children at all.
Side effects noted in studies for children 13-17 years include(aside from "normal" side effects) weight increase, changes in metabolism and increased levels of prolaktin.

And I do believe that it was prescribed based on my mother's testimony of my behavior, rather than by observing me.

That´s not entirely uncommon though unless there was absolutely zero information otherwise.

As far as I can tell, Zyprexa was approved by the FDA in '09; if I'm wrong, the right date might be important.

FASS gives 27 September 1996 as first approval, and then again 27 September 2006. That´s here though so may or may not be relevant, but you need to check if that 2009 date is approval or renewed approval.
Also, if a drug is already approved in the EU or similar major entity, that may allow a US clinic to use it legally on trial even if it´s not FDA approved.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:19 am

I don't know exactly what would qualify as information. I was pretty much railroaded into it, because I perceived going to jail (for some unspecified time) worse than checking into the mental hospital, since I had no real idea of what it would entail. The cops were called because I just hit puberty, my father had an affair with our next door neighbor and long-time friend, he and his mistress had our only source of income (my grandfather) taken away, we had to leave our home and were lucky(?) enough to have another neighbor to offer us a place to stay, and I got tired of my mother ignoring me and went to sit on the porch bench during a thunderstorm. My mother tried to haul me back in, but I hit her wrist to break her grip. That necessitated calling the cops, and the cops gave me the choice of jail or the mental hospital. Yeah... Doesn't sound right to me, either.

I don't know how to check to see if it's a renewal or not. All I know is that the first generic version was approved a few years after that. But the twenty-seventh of September, huh... That's rather coincidental. I don't know when I first started going to the mental hospital, but I feel like it was a bit before that. I went there three times, less time each time (a month the first time), with the last time being in January. I don't recall the first time being particularly chill, and thunder storms are pretty common in the Summer. I don't remember being particularly cold in the thunderstorm, either. Maybe I just forgot; it's not a time I make a habit of recalling.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:05 am

Doesn't sound right to me, either.

Definitely not.

I don't know how to check to see if it's a renewal or not.

And from what i could see, the US version of FASS apparently cannot be accessed freely online so, dunno how to check with more accuracy.

Don´t forget though, exact date of approval is rarely the same in US and EU. The date here only becomes relevant if approval in USA came later than in EU. Still ~"not recommended for use by under 18" was very clear, stated in every relevant section. Although of course that could be the result of trials, that you happened to become part of... :?

That necessitated calling the cops

Uh... Excessive... Only reason i can think of is if she thought you were suicidal, but sitting on a porch in a thunderstorm, while not the best idea if it´s right over you, it´s definitely not THAT bad.

Done it plenty of times as i rather like thunderstorms.

Maybe if she was convinced you were having a psychosis, but sounds iffy, that´s usually rather obvious(actively doing and saying things that makes absolutely no sense).

and the cops gave me the choice of jail or the mental hospital.

Unless you were violent or managed to somehow give a really, REALLY terrible impression, that´s VERY excessive. Jail for what exactly...
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 am

I do remember saying I'd kill myself a few times; I also remember the shrink bringing it up. But I'm pretty sure it was obvious that I was frustrated at those times, since I was never taken seriously and left to my own devices every time. The thing is, with my grandfather's income gone and alimony and child support far on the horizon, I suspect that what happened was my mother taking advantage of my attention-grabbing behavior when it reached the point that it had. I can't be sure if I actually overheard this or dreamed it, but I remember overhearing my mother talking with that neighbor's soon-to-be ex-wife about what it would take to get me on disability, and thus get money. The problem is, my mother and the neighbor (the guy) could have told the cops anything over the phone or before they entered the room I had sequestered myself in before their arrival, so I have no idea the picture that was painted of me.

While I did talk to a shrink eventually, my mother did most of the talking at first, while I just resigned myself to being powerless and not caring anymore. Even when my mother attributed behavior to me that was untrue. Either way, I was still diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, so... *Shrugs shoulders*
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:34 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olanzapine lists the first FDA approval in September 1996 for ‘Treatment of the manifestations of psychotic disorders’.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olanzapine#Regulatory_status for more. Mind, this shows only FDA approvals.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk