Lesbian colors

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

Lesbian colors

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:46 pm

I've noticed the color blue used a lot for yuri/shoujo ai titles, so I was wondering if that's like an official color for lesbians in Japan or something. Y'know, since I thought yellow was used for lesbians in America, or at least for one of the types. However, when I checked to see if there was anything of relevance between yellow and lesbians, I found a whole lotta nothin'. So, I thought I'd try to sate my curiosity by bringing up the subject here, as it relates to lesbianism specifically rather than sexuality and gender in general (because I know what's used to represent that).
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Re: Lesbian colors

Postby XofderXofder » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:20 pm

It's certainly an interesting question, I did a quick check as well and came back with nothing which I consider unusual as I believe there probably is a correlation between a certain colour or colours and lesbianism. All I know is that in Japan yuri can be translated as lily so maybe there are some colours that associated with that but I'm drawing a blank. It'd definitely be something interesting to look at. Considering the fact that there are studies done about the most inane of things there's probably something on this it just won't be easy to find. There may even be no correlation at all but judging human behaviour we are constantly making comparisons and logging information and their relationships with each other so that's probably unlikely.

If it was me I'd go for the colour orange, at least that's the colour I've associated with it.
You can only look up when you notice you've been looking down.
XofderXofder
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Crescent Pulsar S wrote:I've noticed the color blue used a lot for yuri/shoujo ai titles, so I was wondering if that's like an official color for lesbians in Japan or something. Y'know, since I thought yellow was used for lesbians in America, or at least for one of the types. However, when I checked to see if there was anything of relevance between yellow and lesbians, I found a whole lotta nothin'. So, I thought I'd try to sate my curiosity by bringing up the subject here, as it relates to lesbianism specifically rather than sexuality and gender in general (because I know what's used to represent that).

Huh? Yellow?

Scratches head... I thought the LGBT movement pride flag/banner in the U.S. was rainbow colored. With multiple horizontal single colored stripes.

I know the name of the Japan equivalent at least used to be called OCCUR... I think its banner was a single horizontal stripe that was multicolored. Not sure if they have a *flag* per se though.

I definitely would not know what it is in other countries though.

Edit: Curiosity got the better of me... the equivalent in Europe is called the ILGA-Europe, and the logo it uses 4 horizontal rows of 6 dots each, vertically each is a different color. uncertain if there is a flag.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Yeah, yellow. A while back (like, at least a decade ago) there was a girl who came around to visit every now and again, and I'd once overheard one of my housemates (at the time) say that she wore yellow all of the time because she was a dyke. I've had no real reason to question it until now, since they were pretty savvy socially while I was -- and still am -- a recluse.

Like I said, I know about the six-colored flag, but that goes well beyond lesbianism, as well as sexuality. I was wondering if there was a specific color beyond that, because of the frequency that I've seen blue used by the Japanese.

XofderXofder wrote:It's certainly an interesting question, I did a quick check as well and came back with nothing which I consider unusual as I believe there probably is a correlation between a certain colour or colours and lesbianism. All I know is that in Japan yuri can be translated as lily so maybe there are some colours that associated with that but I'm drawing a blank. It'd definitely be something interesting to look at. Considering the fact that there are studies done about the most inane of things there's probably something on this it just won't be easy to find. There may even be no correlation at all but judging human behaviour we are constantly making comparisons and logging information and their relationships with each other so that's probably unlikely.

If it was me I'd go for the colour orange, at least that's the colour I've associated with it.

I think most people think of the color white first when they think of a lily, especially in regard to the Casablanca. Lilies can be a lot of colors (including orange), though there don't seem to be any blue ones.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Hmmm... well, I found one site insisting black is associated with Lesbianism. Particularly if in a triangle form

I also learned about a interesting custom called the hanky code...
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:51 pm

A black triangle? Maybe that relates to one of the designations used by the Nazis during the second world war.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:24 pm

PCHeintz72 wrote:Hmmm... well, I found one site insisting black is associated with Lesbianism. Particularly if in a triangle form

I also learned about a interesting custom called the hanky code...

Black triangle, AFAIK, you´re probably better off not going into that. In at least one time and place it was used to mark "less desirable" people, prostitutes among many others. It´s not something i know anything about today, but i´d be careful.

Original intent of the rainbow flag colours:
http://www.feroniaproject.org/wp-conten ... 4/flag.png

The bisexual flag is described as:
Magenta - Sexual attraction to the same sex
Royal Blue - Sexual attraction to the opposite sex
Lavender - Sexual attraction to both sexes

And the closest to using yellow for lesbian that i can come up with is probably the "pansexual" flag. Pink on top(girls), yellow in the middle and blue down below(boys). Which could infer that yellow was used as denoting ~"same" or something in between. Almost total guesswork though.

I found green and purple claimed by a few sites... But others disagree.

In short i rather doubt there is anything more than local "ideas" in this "yellow is for lesbian".
Those i know off have certainly never stuck to any single colour.

I've noticed the color blue used a lot for yuri/shoujo ai titles, so I was wondering if that's like an official color for lesbians in Japan or something.

It might be as simple as being aimed towards a male audience?
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Shrugs... until this thread... I knew nor cared much about flags, logos or anything else in regards to these movements... not out of hate, or wanting to ignore anything, merely non-interest.

Nevertheless, accurate or not, one site did site black and particularly black triangles as associated with Lesbians...

Not the site I got it from, but Twiki also notes it as being such:

Use by Lesbians:
Lesbians have over time claimed the black triangle as a symbol of defiance against repression and discrimination, and it is considered a counterpart to the gay pink triangle. Though lesbian sex was not criminal under Paragraph 175, lesbians were regarded as asocial for their failure to adhere to the Aryan ideal of womanhood, a wife dedicated to "Kinder, Küche, und Kirche" ("children, kitchen, and church"). Lesbians in Germany and the United States began reclaiming the black triangle as a pride symbol in the 1980s. Like the more ubiquitous pink triangle, the black triangle stands as a memorial to victims of oppression and a sign of commitment to the struggle for dignity and human rights.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Yeah, if the Aryan are brought up, I tend to assume that it has something to do with the Nazis.

Spica75 wrote:It might be as simple as being aimed towards a male audience?

But I associate blue with girls, not pink. Not that this is also the case; I'm just saying. :P
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:32 am

I would think that Japan lesbians would be Cherry blossoms colored... Or perhaps just that.

As for here, I really don't see a color. Although, if it IS blue, then it may be a hint I just didnt see. Dory is blue and voiced by Ellen. Sorry, I just don't pay much attention to the non fictional world. But my aunt who is a lesbian doesn't seem to wear one certain color all the time.
"Oh no! What haz happened? As you cats would say." Akane asked, horrified.

"Cats do not speak that way!" Luna yelled.

"Normal sucks."-Noy Telinú
Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:02 am

I doubt they'd ever use something as prominent as cherry blossoms; besides the sun, the sakura tree is also a large part of Japan's identity. It goes so far that it's used as a part of their mythology to explain the short lifespan of humans.

And it'd be silly to use another flower/blossom when yuri is already represented by one. XD
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:15 am

... I don't see why not use it. :/

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:55 am

They already have the lily! XD;;

Besides, it's a color I'm wondering about. Maybe how often I see blue being used is just a coincidence.
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Noy Telinú » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:21 am

Prolly. Pink+light blue together might be something.

Noy Telinú
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk