I got an Android Tablet

Non-spam and Anime things that don't fit in C&C. Also where talk that you don't want to turn into spam goes. So No Spam allowed

I got an Android Tablet

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:41 am

I finally got around getting a tablet (a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0). My mother lost my PSP, my el-cheapo generic e-reader already died, and the tablet was on sale 40$ odf.

Now, here's the thing: I haven't bought a cellphone since 2001. I have absolutely zero knowledge of all this 3G 4G android w/e stuff.

How do I dowbload apps from the app store WITHOUT wifi? I have an internet connection (obviously), but it is not wifi. I can access the appstore just fine, but I'd like to be able to download the app to my PC then use a USB cable to transfer it to the tablet... but I don't know how.

For example, I want this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ader&hl=en

But when I click "install" I get "the app will be downloaded shortly"... but it doesn't.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Re: I got an Android Tablet

Postby Cheb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:00 pm

I'd like to be able to download the app to my PC then use a USB cable to transfer it to the tablet...

I may be wrong, but this should not be possible. The tablet itself needs a direct connection to the store server, so that they can exchange encrypted data. To make sure you aren't trying to pirate it and stuff. Any "store" means DRM. Any worthy DRM will only allow specific kinds of connections where it has full control over the transfer and you have no control.

You may need a wireless access point. And know how to set it up.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:34 pm

It is possible. remember that I donwloaded a game from piratebay to try it out before buying and it worked.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Google will not let you download to anything except a Google-identified Android device. I have a Coby Android tablet, and Google Store will not even talk to me. However, this does not stop me from downloading apps to my computer. I simply have to find them somewhere else than Google. Then I can download them to my computer, move them over to my tablet along a USB cable, and install them. But I'm not confident of my skillz to try telling you how.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Cheb wrote:I may be wrong, but this should not be possible. The tablet itself needs a direct connection to the store server, so that they can exchange encrypted data. To make sure you aren't trying to pirate it and stuff. Any "store" means DRM. Any worthy DRM will only allow specific kinds of connections where it has full control over the transfer and you have no control.

You may need a wireless access point. And know how to set it up.

.apks can be downloaded from... less reputable sites.

I just want to do it legally from Googleplay.

I'd rather not wear the eyepatch and sing "yohoho and a bottle of rum," but if that's the only way to get apps without wifi...

But, yeah, maybe I'll just get a wifi router instead. My sisters' laptop needs a connection anyway so that she doesn't hog my desktop PC with facebook-ing all day.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Hmmm... it is situations like this that make me reaffirm my stance that 'gadget level' devices are in general not for me, as I'm far too paranoid to rely on a 'store' and no backup of my own. Nor would I want any aspect of my software to be under the control of some other party (Even Amazon has deleted stuff from the sytems of their Kindel users).

In any case, it *might* be in fact possible to cheat... though I have very limited actual experience with 'gadget level' devices.

What *may* work is to set up a partion on the desktop with Google Android for PC's, they at least used to make a version... Download to that, and save it to the HD or a external storage drive,then transfer it to the tablet.

I cannot say for sure if that method will work or not. But it is one possible workaround.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Other Talk