Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings

Postby SailorStar9 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:41 pm

Reviving this forum because I feel it's quite dead.

So, I was watching both Seasons of 'Nurarihyon no Mago' over the weekend and it got me thinking: just how tolerant is Usagi towards beings she deems as 'evil', like the generalized Yokai, for example?
Chibi-Chibi: Chibi-Chibi

I still say Sailor Moon's Chibi-Chibi is a lost Pokemon. (Tosses Dusk Ball)

On infidelity: The Pot has not just met the Kettle, they are getting jiggy on the top of the stove.
SailorStar9
Senshi Candidate

Re: Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings

Postby Spica75 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:34 am

SailorStar9 wrote:Reviving this forum because I feel it's quite dead.

So, I was watching both Seasons of 'Nurarihyon no Mago' over the weekend and it got me thinking: just how tolerant is Usagi towards beings she deems as 'evil', like the generalized Yokai, for example?

Overall i think my answer to that would be "(a bit) more than they deserve".
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:24 am

Endless compassion is not a good idea - but at least Usagi isn't as bad as Dumbledore. And sometimes, things work out for her.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby slickrcbd » Sun May 23, 2021 4:06 pm

Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:Endless compassion is not a good idea - but at least Usagi isn't as bad as Dumbledore. And sometimes, things work out for her.

The difference is that the ones Usagi shows compassion to also show remorse and try to make amends.
Dumbledore just automatically forgives them when they make no effort to change.
I can't see anyone that Usagi gives a third chance to that didn't have extenuating circumstances like mind control involved.
Draco Malfoy and Severus Snape were not under the Imperious.
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Sun May 23, 2021 9:30 pm

The difference is that the ones Usagi shows compassion to also show remorse and try to make amends.

I'd say at least part of that is a side-effect of her being HER(she gets people to want to be better). And also that she wouldn't run around giving 2nd chances to everyone without reason, she does it if she thinks people can deserve it.

Dumbledore just automatically forgives them when they make no effort to change.
I can't see anyone that Usagi gives a third chance to that didn't have extenuating circumstances like mind control involved.
Draco Malfoy and Severus Snape were not under the Imperious.

Dumbles is quite frankly an evil stupid bastard who thinks far too highly of himself.

The side-effect of reading fanfiction, the different ways characters are shown will often also spotlight the good and bad of the original character.
And it's kinda "sad" when you notice that parody styled moustache twirling evil Dumbledores are closer to the original than "mr great good guy" is. :twisted: :P :D
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby slickrcbd » Sun May 23, 2021 10:37 pm

Spica75 wrote:Dumbles is quite frankly an evil stupid bastard who thinks far too highly of himself.

The side-effect of reading fanfiction, the different ways characters are shown will often also spotlight the good and bad of the original character.
And it's kinda "sad" when you notice that parody styled moustache twirling evil Dumbledores are closer to the original than "mr great good guy" is. :twisted: :P :D

Sadly, what Dumbledore and the teachers in general do with Harry and Draco is actually pretty normal.
When one student is bullying another and going out of his way to harass and make the other's life hell, the victim is expected to forgive any insincere apology and then act like nothing's happened.
He's not supposed to be skeptical after the 5th or even the 50th time the person apologizes and then goes back to his evil ways. He's always supposed to accept the apology and forgive the harasser.

I recall getting in trouble because I called one of the bullies on it, and said "I don't believe you. You've said these words to me several times before, but shown no indication that you actually feel remorse. Nor did you change your ways. Why should I think you mean it? I'll accept your apology when you show you mean it by stopping your harassment. Not before."
Boy, did the school principal throw a fit, and suddenly _I_ was the bad guy.

Sorry if I'm biased, but it is a bit of a sore point. I know, it was half a lifetime ago, I need to move on.

I know, I'm drifting off-topic. My point is that forgiveness without repentance and when the person only apologizes because they got caught and were made to apologize, with no effort to make amends is stupid.
If the person I described had asked "how can I make it up to you?" before I made my comment about not accepting, I would have said "You can stop the harassment, stay away from me, and persuade your buddies to stop as well. That will prove you are sincere."
Of course, I should state that I probably would accept the apology the first time, but when he went right back to harassing me, I then would get the more snarky response.
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Tue May 25, 2021 6:49 am

slickrcbd wrote:Sadly, what Dumbledore and the teachers in general do with Harry and Draco is actually pretty normal.
When one student is bullying another and going out of his way to harass and make the other's life hell, the victim is expected to forgive any insincere apology and then act like nothing's happened.
He's not supposed to be skeptical after the 5th or even the 50th time the person apologizes and then goes back to his evil ways. He's always supposed to accept the apology and forgive the harasser.

I recall getting in trouble because I called one of the bullies on it, and said "I don't believe you. You've said these words to me several times before, but shown no indication that you actually feel remorse. Nor did you change your ways. Why should I think you mean it? I'll accept your apology when you show you mean it by stopping your harassment. Not before."
Boy, did the school principal throw a fit, and suddenly _I_ was the bad guy.

It's not normal everywhere. Far from it even, i can only think of a single realworld example, and that made headline news and got half the teachers at the school in question fired. And i can for example guarantee that the 3 cousins(and the spouse of one of them) i have that are teachers, well, it's one of the reasons none of them like the HP story much.

4/5 teachers i've dealt with in my life would at least TRY to do something about it properly.

slickrcbd wrote:Sorry if I'm biased, but it is a bit of a sore point. I know, it was half a lifetime ago, I need to move on.

Never gonna trash someone for being upset about something that is disgusting and completely unacceptable.

slickrcbd wrote:I know, I'm drifting off-topic. My point is that forgiveness without repentance and when the person only apologizes because they got caught and were made to apologize, with no effort to make amends is stupid.
If the person I described had asked "how can I make it up to you?" before I made my comment about not accepting, I would have said "You can stop the harassment, stay away from me, and persuade your buddies to stop as well. That will prove you are sincere."
Of course, I should state that I probably would accept the apology the first time, but when he went right back to harassing me, I then would get the more snarky response.

Agreed.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon