This just bugs me

Discuss the Sailor Moon series in this forum.

This just bugs me

Postby camk4evr » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Why do people complain that Sailor Moon Crystal is too much like the manga when one of the selling points of the series was that it follows the manga's storyline? Why even watch the show if you didn't like the manga version of Sailor Moon?
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Re: This just bugs me

Postby TerraEpon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:30 pm

TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Want change? No We Can't!
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby LawOhki » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:58 pm

camk4evr wrote:Why do people complain that Sailor Moon Crystal is too much like the manga when one of the selling points of the series was that it follows the manga's storyline? Why even watch the show if you didn't like the manga version of Sailor Moon?

It would bug me too considering how it's heavily deviated from the manga and the two haven't really been comparable since episode 3.
LawOhki
Moon Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar S » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:51 pm

I put it aside at episode four, after that stupid, pointless display with the four generals, so I don't know how much it has deviated from the manga beyond that. XD;;
Crescent Pulsar S
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby claymade » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:44 pm

camk4evr wrote:Why do people complain that Sailor Moon Crystal is too much like the manga when one of the selling points of the series was that it follows the manga's storyline? Why even watch the show if you didn't like the manga version of Sailor Moon?

For my part, I watch it because--while I'm familiar with the original anime--I'd never been able to read the manga version because I just couldn't get past the art style. It just... I don't even know the right words to really describe it. For some reason, IIRC, practically every page felt like a chore to get through and contextualize everything that was happening. I figured the anime, if it did follow the anime closer, might give me a chance to see that side of things in full, with a presentation that I (personally) might find less onerous.

That said, from what I've heard secondhand about the manga and from what I've seen so far of this anime, I do pretty much prefer the older anime out of what I've heard/experienced of the three. Not that I'm throwing Crystal away in disgust, or being angry about it, of course. Just that (while I'm still watching it and enjoying it) it hasn't unseated its predecessor for me either.
claymade
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:21 pm

I do pretty much prefer the older anime out of what I've heard/experienced of the three.

I second that.

Crystal may *try* to follow the manga, but the removal of gruesome death have already led to the generals being alive and participating (as opposed to lying in coffins as disfigured corpses).

On the other hand, I'm all for SM jumping back to low Earth orbit to have enough room for casting her ultimate technique. :roll:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Maximara » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:12 am

TerraEpon wrote:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks

Pretty much that.

That trope is interesting in that the first adaptation doesn't always hit it off.

The 1990s adaptation of Hellsing went pearshape in episode 11 and totally lost it in episode 13. The redo being done right now is much better (and it follows the manga much closer)

The 1939 Wizard of Oz is in reality the fourth remake. Next to no one even remembers the earlier attempts.

Dracula has been remade many time with many better then the 1931 version. Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde is also a mixed bag.

There are several other examples but those are the more obvious ones.
Maximara
Senshi Cadet

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:50 am

For my part, I watch it because--while I'm familiar with the original anime--I'd never been able to read the manga version because I just couldn't get past the art style. It just... I don't even know the right words to really describe it.

I've seen that art style in the manga... extremely unflattering toward the girls, is my own take on it.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:53 pm

I don't even know the right words to really describe it.

Eye-scream?
Make me unsee it?
Horrors man was not meant to know?
:mrgreen:

You are lucky if you did not get to the part where Takeuchi draws horsies (unicorns, to be exact).
If you did... My condolences. There ain't no brain bleach potent enough :shock:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby slickrcbd » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:41 am

TerraEpon wrote:Dracula has been remade many time with many better then the 1931 version.

IIRC The 1931 version was not the first, just the most successful.
I've seen 3-4 movies called "Dracula", and I thought the 1931 version was the best.
I don't think I've seen any made in the 21st century, or at least none made since 2002.

Which versions did you think were better?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021814/combined
slickrcbd
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:17 am

slickrcbd wrote:I've seen 3-4 movies called "Dracula", and I thought the 1931 version was the best.
I don't think I've seen any made in the 21st century, or at least none made since 2002.

My preference for animation is showing -- I like Count Duckula best.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Té Rowan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Incidentally known here as „Brakúla greifi“ (lit. Count Quackula — ducks’ quack is onomatopoeia’d here as „bra-bra!“).
A government is the only known vessel that leaks from the top. (James Reston)
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spica75 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:08 pm

slickrcbd wrote:IIRC The 1931 version was not the first, just the most successful.
I've seen 3-4 movies called "Dracula", and I thought the 1931 version was the best.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021814/combined

Well, personally i like this one more:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112896/?ref_=nv_sr_3
:mrgreen:

#####
My preference for animation is showing -- I like Count Duckula best.

I´m definitely going to have to watch the whole series sometime, i remember it was one of the better series at the time but only rarely had time to watch.
Spica75
Prism Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:50 pm

Not a huge fan of vampire movies and series, at least live ones. There were a few I liked:
- There was a British one dealing with ones from outer space, I think it was called Lifeforce.
- There was a comedy movie with Rene Auberjonois called My Best Friend Is a Vampire
- I did like the series Forever Knight
- I liked the original Buffy Movie, but despised the series with a passion.

For anime, I liked
- Tsukihime
- Hellsing
- Hellsing Ultimate
- Vampire Princess Miyu
- Princess Ressurection
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Specific Series: Sailor Moon